The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Although "Olympic Sized Swimming Pools"  is a recognised unit of measurement here, used at times when "Sydney Harbours" is too big an order of magnitude,  I'm not familiar with the "Sugar Beach Umbrella" measurement, can you convert it to the still-not yet updated unit  - "Double decker bus"?

That is a local reference. The council installed some sort of umbrellas on Sugar Beach and there was some sort of controversy. I've never been there, so I don't have a reference.  I'm not sure if it's a metric or imperial unit.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Sounds like one of Harry Potters wizard spells

Having been cursed with that at one point, it's bordering on being a fourth "unforgivable" curse.

Only one step below "cruciatus".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 15

11 hours ago, DaveF said:

That happened to me yesterday morning.

It's a bit trippy. When you go to the last page and get a feeling of déjà vu - thinking I've already read this - and then notice that you already responded to the posts. I double checked it twice, posted, then it all went back to 'normal'.

Hard to imagine how the software got that confused.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I can't take Indometacin every day for ever.

Indeed so.

Is Uloric (now available as a generic - Febuxostat) not an option for you?

I'm sure there are side effects, but before they kill me, it's a lifesaver.

I've never had to refill the Indomethacin script.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

This makes me wonder if Britons should get used to snow and the Cornish Riviera* might be consigned to the past.

CNN: Critical Atlantic Ocean current system is showing early signs of collapse, prompting warning from scientists

The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (the AMOC) — of which the Gulf Stream is part — works like a giant global conveyor belt, taking warm water from the tropics toward the far North Atlantic, where the water cools, becomes saltier and sinks deep into the ocean, before spreading southward.

While many scientists believe the AMOC will slow under climate change, and could even grind to a halt, there remains huge uncertainty over when and how fast this could happen. The AMOC has only been monitored continuously since 2004.

* Not the named express of the Great Way 'Round.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

I doubt Flavio / @iL Dottore should care, given that pizza is not a northern Italian dish but:

Sartoria Panatieri, in Barcelona, was judged the best on the continent. The award was announced at a ceremony, which was also held in Barcelona.

CNN: Italians judge Spanish pizzeria as the best in Europe – but there’s a catch

Also referenced here:

CNN: National Pizza Day* 2024: Slice into some absurd facts

* Giornata nazionale della pizza (if Google translate is in any way reliable)

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/02/2024 at 18:30, PhilJ W said:

I do hope that @iL Dottore knows the difference.

Oh, funny. HaHa 😯😉

The plastic of the poo bags is too thin to use as a sous-vide bag, but unused poo bags have a myriad of uses.

I often keep friable dog treats in one - to stop dog treat crumbs from ending up in the seams of my pockets (appropriate really: a useful tool for both ends of the dog).

They are also great for bagging certain types of food waste (fish trimmings, vegetable peelings, chicken trimmings, etc) before putting the waste in the rubbish bin - thus avoiding the whole “what crawled into the rubbish and died?” scenario.

I’ve also used them in the workshop for bagging up miscellaneous nuts, bolts and screws that always seem to accumulate.

Think outside the box!

Edited by iL Dottore
Posted too early
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I doubt Flavio / @iL Dottore should care, given that pizza is not a northern Italian dish but:

CNN: Italians judge Spanish pizzeria as the best in Europe – but there’s a catch

Also referenced here:

CNN: National Pizza Day* 2024: Slice into some absurd facts

* Giornata nazionale della pizza (if Google translate is in any way reliable)

I noted that on the top 10 list there were no Swiss pizza joints (I won’t dignify them by calling them pizzerias).

And rightly so.

The “takeaway scene” (for want of a better term) in Switzerland is pretty dire: just about bog-standard* pizza, vaguely Turkish kebabs** and some “might be Thai if you don’t look too closely”. You can rock-up to any pizza joint in Switzerland and order without looking at a menu - ‘cos they’re all the same!  The basically-average Anglo-Cantonese Chinese takeaway near where I lived in the UK was a Michelin starred bastion of authenticity in comparison. It’s almost enough (NOTE: I wrote almost ) to make one turn to oven fries and oven fried chicken in desperation.

* interesting factoid: in Edwardian times “BoG Standard” meant very high quality indeed; BoG referring to “British or German Standard” - which at the time were the pinnacles of engineering excellence.

** invariably it’s “mystery meat” carved from an “Elephant’s Leg”, whereas the originator dish (in Turkey and elsewhere in the Middle East) is lamb interspersed (layered) with lamb fat.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As did some of those instructional films aimed at the discerning Gentleman collector…..

As an alternative to the extra large beach balls?

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:
15 hours ago, The Lurker said:

That's the unfortunate need to have travelled to and from Washington

Only about 23 miles or so for me. (Of course it depends on the location of "Washington".)

There’s one in West Sussex around 8 miles north of the coast at Sunny Worthing. It used to be on the A24 road thence to London but has been by-passed for many years now.  

Just one of several. But one of the several which is not so well known. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

@Gwiwer Washington Sussex certainly known to me Rick as in a previous life early in my career we used to send lorries to pick up sand from the pit there.  (At Sullington)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2