The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've been looking further into 3D pens. All the ones I've seen so far use plastic filaments as a medium, no resin involved. I'm trying to find out if there are any special nozzles for them as most of them have nozzles like an oversize ball point pen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN being told yesterday by the tax office that her tax free lump sum wasn't tax free.

Here I am sure it is 25% of the pension amount can be taken tax free. Is it all tax free in the IoM?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Here I am sure it is 25% of the pension amount can be taken tax free. Is it all tax free in the IoM?

All the lump sum is tax free, subject to a total of something just over a £million (we wish...). The pension itself is taxed as per normal.  Same applies in the UK I believe, as per UK Civil Service Pensions website, given similar 'constraints'.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jjb1970 said:

I keep getting letters from my UK bank asking me to confirm where I am tax resident. I don't mind them asking the question as it's a perfectly reasonable one, and wouldn't mind being asked to confirm it annually but I get loads of letters. Every time I call them and get an apologetic 'oh, just ignore it' type response. I wouldn't care but the account in question has a few hundred quid I can use for tube fares, buying sandwiches etc when I visit England, I had to move all our savings etc to the Isle of Man because of all the hoo hah about tax, money laundering etc. It really annoyed me, my situation is hardly unusual, there must be literally millions of UK nationals living and either working or retired overseas yet the default position seems to be that such people are tax evading systers unless proven otherwise.

Some what ironic, as IoM Banks etc actually provide more information to IR than UK ones!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Some what ironic, as IoM Banks etc actually provide more information to IR than UK ones!

The IoM Bank is great, it's the UK one which is a pain. I decided to leave a small amount in a current account  (zero interest) to cover small incidentals when I am in England and it turned into the account from he'll.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

Marketed as "convenient" IIRC. So you could get hot fat in your eye without bending over.

But you get a crick in your back with a low-level grill!

Must admit, I preferred the high/eye level grill.

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Wow….your use of the term ‘Eye Level Grill’ caused an image of cheese on toast under an eye level grill to flash into my head as soon as I read it. 

Mmmmmmmmm cheeeeeese on toast…..

I was pondering what to have this evening.  Scrambled eggs was a firm favourite, but cheese on toast is now coming up on the rail...

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

To clarify it, it is 25% of your total pension pot that is tax free if you care to take it as a lump sum.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Still not sure about my second pension, not heard back since the last phone call to correct their inability to read their own forms.

Afternoon Awl,

Moved various bits of equipment, various people moved stuff not according to the plans, and thwasen said my drawing wasn't right the equipment wouldn't fit....

After putting stuff where it should be, it fitted!!

Had time left over so fitted the top caps to 3 HF200s which have the arms to fit the aeriasl on to. Then a little titivating with a mini file to said assemblies.

Brought back a photo with broken glass in frame , will replace the glass with plastic.

Was getting a a email from the company offering £10 if I gave them  a 5* review about this tablet, can't do that as Amazon haven't posted it yet.

Now they are offering £15 .. this for the review of  a £94 item!! Not sure how they are going to pay it, they certainly won't get any bank details from me!!!..

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

To clarify it, it is 25% of your total pension pot that is tax free if you care to take it as a lump sum.

That is what I meant but should have added pot.

Aditi has an AVC “pot” too in addition to the normal Teachers Pension. She hasn’t touched that yet but could take 25% of that tax free too. She has a few years still to decide what to do with it. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Oh I meant to say, in my research on 3D pens, they all seem to have a 0.7mm nozzle. The difference between pens seems to be..

Steps of 3 or up to 8 speeds or fully variable. Controlling...

A single or double drum drive.

With removable for cleaning or not nozzles.

1.75mm feed stock or 3mm..

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It's 40% here, or a set figure, which I can't now find!

Edit:- The Civil Serpent scheme only allows 30%.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Was getting a a email from the company offering £10 if I gave them  a 5* review about this tablet, can't do that as Amazon haven't posted it yet.

Now they are offering £15 .. this for the review of  a £94 item!! Not sure how they are going to pay it, they certainly won't get any bank details from me!!!..

You have obviously realised that that is a scam. Amazon seems to be a favourite with scammers for some reason. I avoid dealing with Amazon for other reasons.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I was pondering what to have this evening.  Scrambled eggs was a firm favourite, but cheese on toast is now coming up on the rail...

Now, a rank outsider, Baked Potato with Baked Beans is making a good showing!

This is beginning to sound like

And here comes the winner!!!

Baked spud'n'beanz...

Weather forecast for tonight:  Windy!

Edited by Hroth
Wot I 'ad in the end
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Q at this rate mate if you hang on long enough they will be paying you to take it for free.😂

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

My waste bin (landfill) wasn't collected last Thursday so I reported it. I had an automatic e-mail in reply saying it would be collected within three days. I received another e-mail early this afternoon saying it had been collected so I went out and checked, and it hadn't. I've been on to my local councillor and he is now chasing the cleansing manager. I very much doubt that this will be dealt with today but hopefully it will be dealt with in the morning.

• Friendly/supportive 16

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was speaking to my friend this morning. He is in pieces as he will have to take the family's pet dog in to be put down. The dog is a female terrier/chihuahua cross more than sixteen years old. Of late she has become incontinent and suffering from arthritis so that she can hardly move. The vet recommended it a week ago as she was suffering but my friend was very reluctant up until now.

End-of-life is often a heart-breaking situation, both with pets and relatives.

A long time ago, Mrs iD and I decided that last and biggest gift we could give Schotty (now pushing 13) and Lucy (now pushing 15) is to "let them go" when they are suffering and there are no treatments that will help. Our vet will let us know when it's time and we will euthanise both of them at home - surrounded by familiar things and with the people they love and trust.

Until then, as long as they are happy and pain-free as can be given the infirmity of age, we'll manage the deafness, blindness, doggy dementia and the occasional incontinence - it's the least we can do for a lifetime of faithful companionship (not that Lucy and Schotty are anywhere near decrepitude, Lucy is a Little deaf and Schotty a little stiff, but are in incredibly good nick for their age [so says our vet]).

I wish we could give that gift of release to humans. I think that the Swiss have the right idea with Dignitas - stringent checks before being admitted to the programme and then it's up to the person who is dying (or who is enduring - in some cases literally - a living death) to take that final step.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14