The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

On celebrity cooks, I kind of miss Delia. Yes, I know, but whatever her faults she did a lot of shows showing how to do basic food with basic equipment and which were aimed at novices. Her menus may not have been haute cuisine but she did help a lot of people to cook, much more so than other celebrity chefs I expect. I love watching Heston Blumenthal and would love to eat at his restaurant but I imagine watching his shows would be a bit like watching Mozart or Beethoven make a show on how to compose music. If it could happen it'd probably be hugely informative and enjoyable but I'm not sure many would go out and manage to compose anything worth listening to.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Heres a radical  idea, why dont the same folk who give you a photo license also offer the same thing but with "Drivers Licence" crossed out and  "Proof Of Identification" or similar in its place?

entry-web.jpg.6788e96c1ee0a9d187513957b3e7c64d.jpg

The drivers licence looks ok, but why does it appear to have a Triffid on it?

Is it another dangerous thing to be aware of when visiting Australia, or is it just endemic to NSW?

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

....I never fail to be amazed at somenof the "recipe" books which either need a master chef or every possible kitchen gadget in the world to concoct. .. as much as a chocolate fire guard for use with a log burner.

Not really.

Most of the recipe books I have use standard kitchen equipment - even something like a Kenwood Chef or a food processor are pretty mainstream nowadays - mainstream to the point that you can even buy them (or inexpensive [ahem] copies) at Lidl and Aldi.

Very few of the "celebrity chef" cookbooks require any of the things that I would regard as the province of the serious amateur cook or the professional, such as:

• Salamander
  • Deep fat fryer (although domestic versions have been around for yonks)
  • Sous-Vide setup (vacuum sealer, sous-vide cooker), although these are getting pretty mainstream, I have a sous-vide cooker from Lidl which works brilliantly
  • Pasta machine (but again getting pretty mainstream)
  • Cook's blow-torch
  • Blast chiller
  • Self-refrigerating Ice cream machine (again reasonable domestic ones are available)
  • Plancha

I have everything in the list above except the salamander and the blast chiller (although my ice cream maker is professional and my plancha is a domestic version from Solis [which is sort of OK]).

The one thing I don't have (and have only seen two professional versions thereof) is the air-fryer. Nisbets has this  https://www.nisbets.co.uk/lightfry-high-capacity-air-fryer-lf18ehc/cj785 at

£11,699.99 (plus VAT).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I used to like watching Nigella................apparently she did some cooking as well....................................................who knew?

Definitely well worth watching!

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On celebrity cooks, I kind of miss Delia. Yes, I know, but whatever her faults she did a lot of shows showing how to do basic food with basic equipment and which were aimed at novices. Her menus may not have been haute cuisine but she did help a lot of people to cook, much more so than other celebrity chefs I expect. I love watching Heston Blumenthal and would love to eat at his restaurant but I imagine watching his shows would be a bit like watching Mozart or Beethoven make a show on how to compose music. If it could happen it'd probably be hugely informative and enjoyable but I'm not sure many would go out and manage to compose anything worth listening to.

Most "celebrity chefs" are perhaps not "pretentious w*****s" (© Gwiwer at The Polybear Culinary Establishment), but they do an incredibly poor job of convincing many Britons that there's more to life than takeaways and microwaveable [ahem] "food". Plus they also have to deal with a deeply ingrained inverse food snobbery found in much of the UK population as well. An inverse food snobbery not seen in many other places around the world. For Italians, the French, the Spanish (and many more besides), regardless of occupation and/or social status, either food is good or it isn't.

I have eaten at one of Heston Blumethal's restaurants (Dinner), not inexpensive (given the amount of labour involved and the cost of quality ingredients), not just a fantastic meal but an amazing evening out as well.

Ironically, the menu at Dinner has many historic (as in rarely seen today) British food items such as Meat Fruit (c 1500), Duck and Turnips (c AD 79) and Sambocade (c 1390).

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The one thing I don't have (and have only seen two professional versions thereof) is the air-fryer. Nisbets has this  https://www.nisbets.co.uk/lightfry-high-capacity-air-fryer-lf18ehc/cj785 at

£11,699.99 (plus VAT).

As they are in effect a fan oven you might as well go for the real thing. I know I am a fan of air fryers but I am also aware of their limitations. Where air fryers come into their own is when cooking for one or two people they are quicker and more economical than a conventional oven. The worst thing about them is the name which IMHO is misleading, they can do many things that a deep fat fryer can't do but can't fry chips.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think it goes:

Horses 

horses

horses

horses

crocs

sharks

snakes

everything else.

Officially no one has succumbed to spider bites since 1981 when Funnel Web anti-venom was developed , but  it would be interesting to find out how many heart attacks and fatal  car accidents have been caused due to a bloody big Huntsman suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

Couldn’t help thinking of this ad….dont know whether the beer is any good mind you, 

https://www.google.com/search?q=castle+maine+ad+crocs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:870a8ec8,vid:mpYNMQX41Gs,st:0

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That sir is a Waratah, state flower of NSW and a bit  temperamental to grow but look spectacular if you see a bush full of them.

image.png.7faa6086400bf00d8a7404f529cc0ed8.png

Temperamental?

I suppose they ARE safe to handle once decapitated...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It's the big fight, the four n'twenty steak pie versus the Greggs cheese and onion pasty face off to decide which can inflict the most painful permanent tissue damage by being hotter than the inside of the sun!

A local Southampton bakery, Plested Pies, would have been in the running or that, years ago.  They had a shop by the Hants & Dorset bus station and were very popular, but if you bit into a freshy bought one you'd get a spurt of searingly hot gravy.  They are still going, in different premises but I don't think the gravy is as hot, though I haven't had one for years.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning.

Weekend was quite busy and almost glad to be back "working"!

Friday evening - neighborhood happy hour, we provided some appetizers the creation of the Mrs., that were well received. Interesting discussions around the fate of the upcoming elections here and the monetary demise of the US "clown". Also featured discussion(s) of how frail the NFL/male members of the macho kind are in reactions to Taylor Swift "taking over" their NFL spotlight - w**kers.

Saturday - some errands followed by dinner with friends. We made a lemon bundt cake, probably somewhat similar to the renowned UK LDC, went down very well.

Sunday - I had to spend time installing decent lights in the closets of the main bedroom of the rental property. Blqqdy nuisance doing that, but result, finally.

Then some relaxation.

Today, as stated, back working, a quiet day expected, we'll see.

Weather, definitely NOT "in the bleak midwinter", +1c and sunny first thing, 9c the expected high!

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

35 minutes ago, PupCam said:

…..Certainly far more attractive than Fanny Craddock!

I think that you can get ointment for that these days……

….well no one else had said it! …………..I’ll get my coat! 

• Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As predicted today has been wet throughout so I have only ventured as far as the garage to get the wheelie bin ready to go out first thing tomorrow.

The new cleaner came on time and so far is very competent, I suspect the carpets and floors are cleaner than when I do them, the bathroom taps now gleam.  She lives in the next town but her relatives live near to me so she knows the area well.  She is used to her clients having lots of things in their houses, one man she cleans for is a military modeller and has a very large number of figures and equipment on display.

I've spent much of the day sorting out photos of things which move on steel strips taken in Switzerland in 1990.  I was pleased as there was only one location for which I had to look up the name.  The next step is to write the full captions.

I've just had a large batch of photos accepted for a flickr group, and almost as many rejected.  I hardly recognised some of them, they had been uploaded in 2021 so the group moderator must be a long way behind in his selection process.  I also note that the rules for the group have changed, you are now supposed to add the locations on a map, I am not sure I can be bothered.  A few of them are very quiet places and I am not sure it is a good idea to make the exact place too easy to find - there was an article in the latest Countryfile magazine about tourism pressure on some remote quiet locations without parking and suggesting that photographers should be a bit more vague ingiving exact locations.

I think I may just not bother, there are many other groups available.

Now it is time for tea and more reading of a book about things moving on steel strips in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire in the 21st century.  It looks very different from when I lived in the area.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19