The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pick who does the most murdering  of innocent  Australians:

image.png.0aee1b630496df3b4e2da761188d6510.png

image.png.cfa673ff7551e7ee4c0e2105d2b7649f.png

Its a case of horses for courses.....

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its an obvious  trick!!!!!!       it was hoping to fool  you into getting  up  close enough so it could give it a flick  and have your eyes out.

You need to put  heavier chains on them.

Pick who does the most murdering  of innocent  Australians:

image.png.0aee1b630496df3b4e2da761188d6510.png

image.png.cfa673ff7551e7ee4c0e2105d2b7649f.png

It has been asked in some places if such a creature as An Innocent Australian exists.  I couldn't possibly comment. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This isn't Germany,  you know......

The only place where I have been and seen openly declared horse on the menu is Belgium. Horse meat butchers too.There were various horse meat scandals where horse meat was sold as beef here a few years ago. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It has been asked in some places if such a creature as An Innocent Australian exists.  I couldn't possibly comment. 

Jamie

When I arrived with my Resident's Visa (as opposed to the earlier short trips on a Tourist Visa) I was asked by Immigration whether I had a criminal record.  

I was forewarned that they did not consider it amusing to be told "I didn't realise one was still needed"  

I was also asked "Who do you barrack for then?"  Trick question?  Or one to test my authenticity as a resident?  The answer was a very swift and decisive "The Seagulls".  Because (a) It's a VFL team in the lower echelons of the Aussie Rules game - a "sport" which I have never warmed to nor followed, and (b) because it happens to also be the nickname of the kickballing team in the south of England whose fortunes I do vaguely follow.  Largely only to have a point of discussion with BiL and a long-time friend who are both ardent fans but hey.  Nice coincidence.  

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

You sound like the Copper’s Copper Commander Vimes* who was of the opinion that “a good copper can always find a crime, if he looks hard enough

*Discworld

• Like 12
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The only place where I have been and seen openly declared horse on the menu is Belgium. Horse meat butchers too.There were various horse meat scandals where horse meat was sold as beef here a few years ago. 
Tony

The have hprsemeat butchers in France too. 

As to finding a crime, on my first night as an acting Sergeant one of my colleagues brought a prisoner in and I asked him, why Justin.  I thought he was being a pratt so locked him up was the reply. We did find something but which offence it was is lost in the mists of time. 

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I've just had to look for Early Risers in Wheeltappers in the Forum list as it has gone missing from View New Content.  It's not the first time, last time someone had deleted something and upset it.

The day has gone quite well, it was the Candlemas service today at church, the other server and I went round the church lighting candles held by the person at the end of each pew and they then lit other peoples' candles.  No one set anything on fire.

When I got home I realised I had forgotten to thaw the meat to cook for my dinner so I had a ready meal - a beef casserole - instead.  It tasted good.

I've done the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, they have a new website so I couldn't simply log in to enter the results but I got there eventually.  At the moment people who have an account are unable to access it so I can't see how my results compare with previous years.  Such is progress.  My gut feeling is that I saw fewer birds this year. There have certainly been fewer pigeons around in the last couple of days.  Perhaps the birds know they are being counted and are all hiding.  There were hardly any gulls at the beach yesterday.

I've captioned another batch of photos which should be enough for a few months on flickr but I will continue doing them.

I'm not sure what I'll do for the rest of the day but I expect there will be some TV and reading but I haven't looked up what is on yet.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I'd forgotten the BGB was supposed to be today!

I'll do it tomorrow sometime, I'm sure a day late doesn't matter...  🤔🤪

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Marking proceeding. Reading some of it I really can’t remember writing stuff that would have led to such submissions ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/01/28/covid-nothing-new-apart-from-off-peak-tube-fares-marking-not-good-submissions-local-with-a-rant/

Its like the complaints that come from people who move to a picturesque village, with a parish church with an active ring of bells, and then start whinging about the noise on practice night and that their Sunday morning lie in is spoiled by the racket from the church!

• Agree 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

We have previously been told that our bus passes are not acceptable proof of identity other than for bus rides.

Gov.uk now state senior bus pass is proof for voting. Problem was last time not all officials at polling stations knew.  
Also some post office parcel collection staff won’t accept bus pass (they should do) but accept a non photo credit card as ID. 
You can also apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, just need an appropriate photo.  

3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Apply for postal or proxy voting.

We did that originally as we were  away on holidays but I am glad we did so now. Saves any messing about. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its like the complaints that come from people who move to a picturesque village, with a parish church with an active ring of bells, and then start whinging about the noise on practice night and that their Sunday morning lie in is spoiled by the racket from the church!

We have some of those as well.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
  • Sausage and biscuit (where I was “sausage” was a round, spicy, patty
  • Chicken potpie (where biscuits are baked on top of the filling instead of pastry)

Breakfast sausage is legitimately a sausage - it just doesn't have casings - similar to some soft European sausage like Braunschweiger liverwurst (rather than Mettwurst). It's not formed like a patty. You slice the sausage and fry it like a patty. Or you crumble it and cook it like ground beef/mince and use it in sausage gravy for biscuits and gravy.

Chicken potpie is highly variable. Sometimes it is just like a pie - pastry crust and top. Sometimes it is in a crockery dish with a pasty top. The version you mention with biscuit/scone dough on the top is less common in the western states. This is more alike to 'chicken and dumplings' - very similar to the innards of a chicken pot pie with cooked biscuit/scone dough either as the base or lumps inside.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Otherwise known as lorne sausage.

image.png.a422e83a806dee962aaddcb46789dcd0.png

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I'm not a religious person at all but I do like to hear the church bells, especially practice!

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

7 hours ago, pH said:

Australian four n’ twenty pies and Canadian two-four beers - fusion cuisine! 

The Aussie pie brand name comes from the nursery rhyme "Sing a song of sixpence" - with "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie".

The more interesting question relates to the origin of the expression. The internet is inconclusive. A Guardian comment board (and many other sites) suggest quite flamboyantly it is related to Blackbeard the pirate - which the Wikipedia article debunks.  Others suggest that it relates to Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries.

Mum had a hollow ceramic 'blackbird' to release steam from a pie being baked.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7