The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if you could do it yourself using one of those 3D pens?

Resin doesnt bond very well to other materials, its not meant as an adhesive. and is quite brittle too.  Ignoring the "is it safe to drink from?" question, superglue and baking soda would be the best bet.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I saw the end of it live, late at night. It was on some deep cable channel (it might have been Fox Sports 2) - I don't know how I found it. It was good, even if Brisbane lost.

And Brisbane  lost all over again with pretty much the same level of tension the next night, in the NRL..... 

Would have been a sad weekend for Queenslanders.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, pH said:

Are you proposing many small exams throughout the course? Would that not significantly increase staff workloads?

A return to exams would not happen. All I'm proposing is that that step would be a solution

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

And two 30 second blasts in the microwave, forking the eggs in-between each 30 second blast?

Of course not.

MW ovens are, at best, good for defrosting and warming things up. To use them to cook delicate things, like scrambled eggs, is akin to using a chainsaw in railway modelling. You could do it, but why?

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Biscuit - savory scone with butter and jam

“Biscuit” with butter and jam? Well it takes all sorts I suppose.

”Biscuits” (the savoury American version and not be confused with sweet biscuits a.k.a. Cookies) is one of those American dishes which - when done well - can be amazing, but when done badly…. Yuk*

Having spent a few years south of the Mason-Dixon Line, I came to appreciate Biscuits, especially

• Sausage and biscuit (where I was “sausage” was a round, spicy, patty)
  • Biscuits and “gravy” (a gravy utterly unlike anything you get in the UK
  • Chicken potpie (where biscuits are baked on top of the filling instead of pastry)

Finally, whilst ambling down that particular stretch of Culinary Memory Lane I must mention two other Southern staples which are - if done well - very more-ish:

• Spoonbread
  • Hush puppies

Yum!

* sometimes these dishes can be incredibly salty. When I was a student (1970s) a sausage and egg biscuit was a much loved treat, fast-forward 25 years to a business trip to the US, I decided to have a nostalgic treat for breakfast - a sausage and egg biscuit, which was so salty as to be inedible ☹️😢 (a bad batch, perhaps?)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Resin doesnt bond very well to other materials, its not meant as an adhesive. and is quite brittle too.  Ignoring the "is it safe to drink from?" question, superglue and baking soda would be the best bet.

The Japanese use Urushi for Kintsugi. Urishi is a form of lacquer and is definitely not a quick fix (the Wiki page on it is quite eye-opening, no wonder Kintsugi is the province of skilled artists, craftsmen and artisans).

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was never to fond of scrambled egg, I prefer an omelette, of which I am a dab hand at making. The trick is to first get the pan very hot then whisk the mixture until it foams turn the heat down to a minimum and then pour into the pan rapidly with a circular motion starting in the centre. I use single cream rather than milk in the mixture as it reduces spitting.

A question Phil, if I may.

I read many, many years (probably in one of Len Deighton’s cookery articles for the Observer) that the best omelettes are made in a dedicated pan - used only to make omelettes - which is never washed with soap and water, just wiped out with a paper towel after each use.

Is that what you do?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

On omelette, I like the style in Japan and much of Asia in which the outside is sealed and quite well done, but inside that 'skin' it is quite runny. A lot of people recoil as they consider such an omelette under cooked but I find it the perfect way to enjoy an omelette (then again I like scrambled eggs runny so it may be something of a thing I have).

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

@Grizz   If you cut your soss meat slices into long, thin portions, you'll have...  Sossiges!

Hope Mrs Grizz continues to improve, to save you from culinary diversions and the Field Ornaments!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Morning All,

After a bit of negotiating with black dog a visit to Pontecarlo and a possible chinwag with @Barry O is a distinct possibility.

Bettergerramoveon.

Dont like my scrambled eggs ‘sloppy’.

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Thanks Hroth, I’d never thought of that. I do love soss sarnies, so that could be our lunch today. Mmmm lovely. Thanks mate. 

A chef I definitely am not, but I do a good full breakfast so I am told. Occasionally I have knocked up a meal for the family that has gone down so well that they have asked to me to do it again….problem is that I can never remember what I did to achieve such culinary delights in the first place. If ever my efforts are any good then they are best described as uniquely spontaneous good fortune events. 

With regard to the field ornaments, although they do know me quite well I am not ‘MUM’, but perhaps because of this they seemed to be very tolerant of me yesterday.

When I went out to them they actually seemed gave me a collective look that said “Oh it’s you. Where is MUM then? Well if you’re going to be doing this we will take it easy on you, just as long as we get fed”.

One of them had a huge bramble tangled up in her tail. She is bottom of the herd and is therefore a bit nervous. But she was so good and let me remove it whilst she ate her hay, even though it took 15 minutes or so to cut it out. I’ve no idea what she had been up to to get it so wrapped up in it. But that’s field ornaments for you. 

IMG_5330.jpeg.a40a3c235a3e8c4ccdbff52828be2e68.jpeg

I'd be careful if I were you. They may be gentle and 'understanding' at the moment,  but after a few days of tolerating you not doing it 'correctly' they may decide you need to be 'educated' into doing it correctly. 

One of our 'colonial' chums will I believe be able to put you straight.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Japanese use Urushi for Kintsugi. Urishi is a form of lacquer and is definitely not a quick fix (the Wiki page on it is quite eye-opening, no wonder Kintsugi is the province of skilled artists, craftsmen and artisans).

I Googled Urushi and apparently shellac is a good substitute for Kintsugi. An added benefit is that shellac is easier to use. (And instructions are on the net).

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A question Phil, if I may.

I read many, many years (probably in one of Len Deighton’s cookery articles for the Observer) that the best omelettes are made in a dedicated pan - used only to make omelettes - which is never washed with soap and water, just wiped out with a paper towel after each use.

Is that what you do?

I do not wash the pans in soap and water and as you say just wipe them out with a paper towel while they are still warm. The only cooking medium I use is extra virgin olive oil used sparingly. The two pans that I use are both *Teflon coated the main pan is about six or seven inches and a smaller one about the size of a bap that just takes a single egg, perfect for an egg butty. I have only used the smaller one for eggs but I might try it for an omelette soon (omelette bap anyone?). I don't like my eggs runny whatever way they are prepared, even boiled I like them hard. *It's recommended that Teflon frying pans are not washed in soap and water, just wiped out with paper towel.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good nights rest, I didn't get up until almost nine. Only one call out from bladder control and Arthur Itis is quiet at the moment. Not sure what to do today but first I have to catch up on RMweb.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Len Deighton cookery articles were published in book form* some time ago.  I've a copy, but can I find it?

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.....

* https://www.amazon.co.uk/Action-Cook-Book-Len-Deighton/dp/0007305877

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, jjb1970 said:

Dangerous Australian stuff,  I just bought a box of four n'twenty steak pies, does that count?

Have you enough thick pea soup to accompany them with?

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Dangerous Australian stuff,  I just bought a box of four n'twenty steak pies, does that count?

Heat them up to a thousand degrees, anything less than 3rd degree burns to the roof of your mouth is undercooked.

Done right they'll put gravel in your voice. Serving suggestion:

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4