The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Honest JJB’s trading is proud to announce a new venture – Doctor JJB’s tree surgery and rail enthusiast gardening services! Yes friends, we have been inundated with requests for a rail enthusiast orientated gardening service, and here at Honest JJB’s we always listen to our valued customers when we see an opportunity to make money. Picture the scene, you find out a nice steam engine or no heat diesel will be working, so decide to take a few pictures, but – oh no, what’s this – you find trees, bushes, houses and other frivolous and unwanted obstructions interfering with your field of view. At one time you’d have had to find somewhere else to take a picture, but not any longer, just call Honest JJB’s tree surgery and rail enthusiast gardening service and we’ll do the rest. Not convinced? Read this testimonial for our pre-launch trial service from the Reverend Ponsonby-Smythe, vicar of Marpleshire-on-Sea:

‘Like all the rail enthusiasts of Marpleshire-on-Sea I have long complained about the foolish positioning of the village orphanage between the pub window and railway line, the only way to get a picture was to walk to the end of the street, an intolerable burden. Things got worse when it was announced that Flying Scotsman was to work past, I simply had to get a picture but there was no way I was going to waste enough time to drink three pints by walking the whole 24 yards down the street and back. Imagine my joy then when I was visiting the turf accountant to invest the weekly collection in the 3:40 at Newmarket and saw an advert for Honest JJB’s within 24 hours they’d demolished the orphanage by arranging for a gas main explosion. As a bonus, as well as getting an out of focus pic of Flying Scotsman (Satan arranged for a half empty bottle of Scotch to get in the way) I made enough from the 237 funerals to buy a Bentley crumpet magnet, I would definitely recommend Honest JJB’s!’

You can’t argue with a testimonial like that, call now for a free* no obligation** quote and we will discuss all the available options to clear unwanted lineside obstructions such as railway stations, signal boxes, level crossing gates and mountains using our tool kit of chain saws, backhoe loaders, wrecking balls, 2000 pound bombs*** and sarin gas. Call today, the name you can trust – Honest JJB

*While consultations are free, expenses such as telephone wear and tear and cost to replace the air used while talking are charged at cost + 2000%

**All consultations are considered to be a legally binding contract to buy

***Due to heavy demand from a client in the Middle East there may be a delay in services which need 2000 pound bombs.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13

16 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Much as they're popular, I'm not a fan. And just looked up what they're made from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg

Well, look on the bright side: you only need a B.Sc. In food chemistry to recognise the ingredients.

"Industrial Grade Cocoa Mass" sounds rather  ominous: suggesting something created in an ICI chemical plant rather than the "generous bounty of nature"

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

There are a couple of small domestic tasks to do today s

My task today is to do MiL’s shopping and take it over to Enfield. Aditi was going to do it but she is a bit unwell today. She is remarkably robust and recovers quickly but today is better as a day of rest. I have in addition to the shopping got to,choose something for lunch at MiLs, Aditi suggested a quiche “Do NOT get one with bacon” , as if I would! It is very slightly out of my way but I will get the food from the M&S Food shop on Canvey.  Easy parking, and MiL is used to their stuff from Ocado. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

The New York Times has a daily game on its website called ‘Connections’. You’re presented with 16 words, and have to arrange them into 4 groups of 4, with the words in each group connected by some common theme.

Here’s the starting position of today’s game. Has a resident of this parish had some influence on the makeup of the first line? 🤔

IMG_2555.png.14065cdc6f02610a73aba8c0dcca024a.png

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

I have tried to contact the council about the none collection but they will not take complaints until after 4 pm on bin day. Quite understandable as it's not until then that the bin lorries are back in the yard.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

image.png.51e9d63a611ceb2b98d94cf509723f01.png
There was a choice of a high wire or a glass floor…

Somewhere in Switzerland 2017

No way would I walk along there, I don't even like climbing ladders.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

email arrived from Royal Mail.. " we were unable to deliver your parcel from HM revenue and customs , please click on link to reschedule delivery"..

Email address of sender?  "info@batterytips.com"    

don't think so...

Delete..

Last time I received such an e-mail supposedly from Royal Mail the postie was at the door. We both had a good laugh and then he took note of the sender to give to their security.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, pH said:

The New York Times has a daily game on its website called ‘Connections’. You’re presented with 16 words, and have to arrange them into 4 groups of 4, with the words in each group connected by some common theme.

Here’s the starting position of today’s game. Has a resident of this parish had some influence on the makeup of the first line? 🤔

Shouldn't that be posted on 'The Night Mail'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, pH said:

Its rather like one of the games in "Only Connect"...

I make one line to be "FINE-HIPPO-IN-CHARGE"  🤪

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I get about three like that a day. I normally forward new ones to  report@phishing.gov.uk before deleting them. I don't know what they do with such reports but preumable it helps them to build up a picture. 

Though the local plan has been around for a few weeks, I've only just heard the very worrying news , that Popham Airfield in Hampshire,  where for thirty years I did almost all my flying from, has been designated in the Basingstoke & Deane revised local plan as a site for the development of 3000 homes in  "Popham Garden Village- a healthy and sustainable place with a strong, clearly defined and coherent village character, which maximises the opportunities presented by its attractive rural setting in a sensitive and positive manner”. In reality, by the time the developers have muddied the water, that usually ends up meaning an isolated housing development with few facilities. 

The airfield runs along the north side of the A303 dual carriageway (a very attractive rural feature!) with only narrow country lanes providing any other access and a fifty minute walk (on a country road I'd be very reluctant to walk down) from Micheldever Station. There's no mention in the plan of current aviation activities on one of the most popular airfields for grass-roots flying in the country (the sort that ordinary people like me could afford that are disappearing rapidly) as if they don't want to admit that they'd be destroying it. 

There is a mention  in the plan of a "brownfield site near Overton"which presumably means the airfield. 

Popham-Airfield.jpg.527cc94db8182f715819592305698d58.jpg

If this is a brownfield site then so is most of the British countryside (the site to the right of the main runway on the A303  is a filling station and cafe - nothing to do with the airfield). The only permanent buildings on the site are the three hangars on the left of the picture, another hangar used by an aircraft maintenance form and a small clubhouse and cafe. 

The ghost of Charles Church takes revenge!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

@Tony_S  I showed her your photo Tony and the response was "No way, not ever, do not even think about it."  TBH I'm not sure I'd fancy that either.  

The safety net is actually much further away than it looks too.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Raining....

But, before that, while Mr Suvvern was out and about, I did get a few minutes on the flute this morning, on the mat in front of the fire. I can now sit there for about half an hour or more before having to stretch out the legs or give up though it took me a few moments, today, to straighten up again afterwards! Another thing I have noticed lately, is that I don't seem to notice it so much, so the old pegs must be getting used to it. I enjoy it more, now, anyway.

ION

I had a scintillating chatmeet with a few friends yesterday but had to turn up late. We had someone to come and change the smart meter ("sometime between 8 and 12") because it was not being smart. Person came at 12. She will be gone by the time I need to get online I thought. Uhuh. The power needed to be switched off - OK battery laptop, no probs - ah! but no wifi either...

Also in the headlines - another pair of base layer leggings...so small it might fit a stick girl. Now, it said size "M" and according to the "size guide" I was between sizes so I ordered the larger one. I hate to think what critter the smaller size would fit. Return awaiting.

Better luck, I hope, has arrived in the form of two cotton shirts both in the larger of two sizes. I shall try them on when the appropriate mood comes over me (the price had come down by 25%, so I was delighted that I had taken so long to decide to buy them, and delivery was free).

Off now to put kettle on.

Take care. Be good. Don't believe everything you read.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6