The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember a health and safety manager (he was actually pretty senior, not just H&S manager for the plant but for the generation portfolio in Britain) who went out and berated some scaffolders who might have been described as 'rough diamonds' and was literally floored, oh dear.... He was one of those H&S people who seemed incapable of personal interaction without sounding like he was speaking down at others and rather pompous. I did warn him and offered to speak to them (we were watching a couple of them chatting without having their hard hats on) but he saw his opportunity for glory and took it. I know I shouldn't, but it counted as some of the best entertainment I had in electricity generation as I watched it unfold in slow motion.

I think after agriculture/farming it has one of highest fatality rates in the UK and a know HSE take an almost vindictive delight in persuing them.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Rheinmetal  and BAe Systems plus new subies/ suppliers we got rid of for CR2 could have an impact.

Baz

Rheinmetal strike me as a good example of Roger Ford's seventh law:

The attractiveness of technology is directly proportional to the square of the distance of its factory of origin from London

Or maybe I am too cynical. Their Puma IFV was advertised as the mightiest IFV in the world, which makes it all the less surprising that the thing has become something of an embarrassment for the German army.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Gold

It's still very windy here so am staying indoors for now, it should start to improve in an hour or so.  It is fairly sunnny and feels mild,about 7C.  I've been outside and made sure the house is still in one piece, the fences have also survived.  2 neighbours will have to do some work on their shed roofs.

There's nothing much planned for today so I intend to read and relax a bit along with some modelmaking.  I will probably have a day off from photographs.  If the wind drops I may go out for a while but a number of roads seem to have problems with fallen trees so perhaps not.

I had one of the usual e mails from Amazon this morning sugesting boks I might like to read.  For once it was of interest with offerings from Simenon,  Donna Leon and Andrea Camilleri.  I would buy some if I didn't have so many unread books in the house.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Can't remember if you had to contribute to a Civil Serpants pension or whether 'we' the tax payer paid it. As Mamar was one, for a short time I shouldn't complain I suppose.

Yes, you do have to contribute but the rules were changed about thirty years ago allowing employees to opt out. This applied to all public services except the police which at one time was none contributory but that may have been brought in to line with other pensions. The contributions varied from 5% to 8% but have risen since I retired. The best pension scheme is that enjoyed by MP's surprise, surprise, (not).

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I had one of the usual e mails from Amazon this morning sugesting boks I might like to read.

I get two of their Amazon/Kindle "suggested reading" emails every day...

If I'm going to buy a book, ie that its something that I want to read,  then I'll get the physical version, so I have something that I can either keep after reading, or I can pass on to someone else or a charity shop.  I'm very resistant to Kindle books that are priced at a pound or so less than the hardcopy version.

Kindle purchases are those priced at what I'd call "charity shop" level, 99p to 2 quid. At that price, I'll sometimes duplicate books that I have in hardcopy for instant gratification on my android tablet rather than hunting it down off a bookshelf.  Others are by authors that I've enjoyed in the past but haven't read, such as the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris that popped up the other day at 99p each, £2.97 for all three.  The "set" is back up to £9.99 today...

The kindle library is handy for holiday reading!

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

aging 1980's expat through the gumtrees, on its way to the romantic central west  town of Dubbo.

Well to each their own.  

I never found anything romantic about, nor did I find any romance in, Dubbo.  In my defence I was left unsupervised and I was an aging expat.

On the other hand the XPT is an Australian-built (by Commonwealth Engineering a/k/a Comeng) train with the power cars derived from the British HST design.  They are significantly reworked for Aussie conditions.  The trailers are all-Aussie.  

I have enjoyed quite a number of XPT rides between Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Sydney - Dubbo.  They once ran with 8 trailers one of which was a sleeper / sitter convertible with the berths becoming bench seats for day use.  Sydney - Melbourne still supports both a day and a night train daily largely because each diagram is a 24-hour out-and-back working.  Services to northern NSW and over the border to Brisbane are more complex but basically the XPT only reaches the Queensland Capital in the very small hours of the morning arriving around 3am and leaving about 90 minutes later.  

The trains now normally only include 5 trailers these days.  Dubbo has always been a shorter formation usually 4 trailers and does not include the sleeper.  The "spares" are used on a rotating basis to keep mileage lower and as a pool of spare parts.

They travel more slowly than their British counterparts because of numerous local factors.  Australian railways were built cheaply, lightly and are steeply graded through surprisingly hilly territory.  Both Brisbane and Melbourne routes feature complete spirals on stiff gradients.  The climate makes it less safe to run at higher speeds such as are common in other nations.  A complete rebuild of the railways would be required to significantly reduce journey times.  Air travel wins every time Capital to Capital.  Melbourne - Sydney is one of the busiest (at times the busiest) domestic air corridor in the world.  Three to five flights every hour are on offer taking around 75 minutes.  Two trains a day taking around 11 hours cannot compete.  There is modest intermediate traffic with only a small number of medium-sized towns and cities served.  Some stops (timetabled as "on request") are at tiny settlements such as Gunning, Henty, The Rock and Kyogle.  

New trains are planned.  One of the issues is the politics of Australia where such things are run state-based whereas the main lines cross borders.  Victoria and Queensland don't see much need to co-fund New South Wales' trains.  

Federal funding seldom reaches the rails.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Rheinmetal strike me as a good example of Roger Ford's seventh law:

The attractiveness of technology is directly proportional to the square of the distance of its factory of origin from London

Except where items of hobby interest are concerned.  

Perhaps this should be "Bachmann's Exemption"  

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, DaveF said:

There's nothing much planned for today

In which case I can offer you some of my tasks.  Shopping, tip run, cooking, cleaning and persuading laundry to dry (unsuitable for the grumble-dryer) 

And that's before I find time to head off to club and play with parallel strips of nickel-silver.  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night just a couple of call outs from bladder control. My house insurance jumped by 60% for next year so I did no more than hunt around for a new insurance quote. I had a letter this morning confirming my cancellation of the old policy and asking me to reconsider, not much hope there. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

I was just browsing through the depths of my hard disk, and came across this "Model" related google ad that was included in these august pages back in April 2017, when RMweb was first introducing adverts.

rmweb_model_ad1.jpg.c27167d7b7bec0bae389f775c3ea8382.jpg

Looks like something that might be available from Noch/Preiser to enliven a layout...  🤔

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Having spent 38 years in the building trade I can confirm that scaffolders and roofers are a breed apart and you should certainly take care in your dealings with them. 

Here massive South Pacific Islanders dominate the scaffolding profession though they are a friendly bunch on the whole.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You didnt book a "Hippo Encounter " at Western Plains  zoo?!

Screenshot(278).png.3a87527963eca1a22c8ee38d12dbc657.png

I'm not that sure I'd like to be that close to the front end of a hippo, but if it suddenly started to turn around.....

😬

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You didnt book a "Hippo Encounter " at Western Plains  zoo?!

Unless you count my occasional incursions to the Night Mail then no 🤣

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm not that sure I'd like to be that close to the front end of a hippo, but if it suddenly started to turn around.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Absolute nutcases, all of them!

My brother mentioned that the people who climb broadcast towers to install equipment are an interesting bunch of chaps too. In the UK my brother was mainly concerned with the stuff at the bottom of the tower but when he worked overseas the opportunity to go to the top of the towers and repair stuff was,part of to job. . These were I think only 400ft towers. Though he must have been up some towers in the UK as whenever we are out with him, he will point out a microwave tower and tell.us what a lovely view it has from the top. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My brother mentioned that the people who climb broadcast towers to install equipment are an interesting bunch of chaps too. In the UK my brother was mainly concerned with the stuff at the bottom of the tower but when he worked overseas the opportunity to go to the top of the towers and repair stuff was,part of to job. . These were I think only 400ft towers. Though he must have been up some towers in the UK as whenever we are out with him, he will point out a microwave tower and tell.us what a lovely view it has from the top. 

My nephew was a crane rigger, assembling and dismantling tower cranes, some as high as 600 feet. A lot of hanging from ropes was involved.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

RE: Climbing jobs

Arborists here have a challenging work environment. Lumberjacks have a dangerous job but for the most part they are not climbing the trees. To remove them, arborists have to climb immensely tall Douglas Firs and cut them down bit by bit from the top.

There was one in a Portland suburb that was on the news. A tree "fell" in last week's wind/sleet storm but only canted at an angle, being propped up by adjacent trees, threatening a nearby house. It had to be removed but many arborists passed on the job suggesting that cranes or even a helicopter would be required. Apparently one company took the job with news footage of a guy in the tree with his chainsaw cutting it into chunks. I imagine he was at least 50-60' in the air.

I've seen them use cranes. There's a guy in the tree. They secure the top part of the tree to the crane and then cut through the tree high in the air and lift off the top half of the tree and over the house in front to the street where the crane is. It looks very expensive. Lots of people and equipment, not just the big crane.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to report that this years Cadbury Creme Eggs are the same weight (42g) as last years Creme Eggs and so are not suffering from "shrinkflation".  However, I suspect that the price for an individual "egg"/box of 5 "eggs" has probably been increased, but at least that's honest!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm pleased to report that this years Cadbury Creme Eggs are the same weight (42g) as last years Creme Eggs and so are not suffering from "shrinkflation".  However, I suspect that the price for an individual "egg"/box of 5 "eggs" has probably been increased, but at least that's honest!

I have never eaten a Cadbury Creme Egg. When I was very young I saw a similar mini egg product in a shop window . Mum got me one. I was spectacularly sick on the way home. Never really fancied one since. I don’t think it was actually a Cadbury product. It would have been mid 1950s. 

• Friendly/supportive 18