The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TheQ said:

Did I mention it was cold this morning?

South Waltham broad.

20240119_153041916.jpeg

Didn't want to say "like", too ruddy cold for me!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Before 1947 silver coins contained err silver and are worth more than their face value

Pre 1992 copper coins were solid copper i they to are worth more than their face value

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Before 1947 silver coins contained err silver and are worth more than their face value

Pre 1992 copper coins were solid copper i they to are worth more than their face value

Its always worth running over your post-decimalisation "coppers" with a SeaSearcher, when you have jars of "saved" coins!

Silver coins: 1920 - 1946 50% silver, pre-1920, 100% silver!

1920: to help pay for WW1

1946: to help pay for WW2

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Did I mention it was cold this morning?

South Waltham broad.

20240119_153041916.jpeg

Isn't Waltham in London, didn't know they had Broads there.......................................................or maybe......................................

• Funny 14

8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I have some pre decimal pennies that are magnetic, either forgeries or some were made of something other than copper.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Isn't Waltham in London, didn't know they had Broads there.......................................................or maybe......................................

Xxxxxxxx! Spell chequers it's South Walsham

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I have some pre decimal pennies that are magnetic, either forgeries or some were made of something other than copper.

They must be forgeries, British coinage before decimalisation contained no ferrous metal. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Definitely dodgy!

What we know as pennies were originally copper, but were later minted using a more bronzelike alloy to reduce wear.

I've a very worn and virtually worthless late 18th century "cartwheel" copper penny. According to wikipedia, bronze pennies were minted from 1860.

Edited by Hroth
update and spelin
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Neither Waltham Cross nor Waltham Abbey are in London although both lie only a short distance beyond in Hertfordshire.  Walthamstow, on the other hand, is very firmly within the London Borough of Waltham Forest.  That region takes its name from the eponymous Royal hunting forest of the 13th Century now long gone but whose extant remnants include Hainault Forest and Epping Forest.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I think there are a different kind of broads in Waltham. 

Thanks for the info re the coins. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

.... Is there any value in UK pre decimal coins. ... 

As already indicated, the honest answer is, 'it depends'. I'll not repeat others' comments but would suggest a well-organised and presented collection may be worth more than the sum of its parts. These sites may be of use:

https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/uk-coin-values---1801-to-1967.html

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/news/guides/how-much-are-my-coins-worth

I had a collection (unorganised) from one of the estates I had to deal with in the last few years. IIRC, three coins were worth dealing with collectors/dealers and the rest (maybe c200?) got £15 - I sold a bundle to some bloke in the next village who wanted some cheap 'pirate treasure' for his children to accompany the moneybox I also sold him and most of the rest went to a WW2 re-enactment group as 'props'. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yesterday's slush did refreeze overnight. I got a short walk in this morning (with traction devices on my boots).

The last 200 yards or so of my street would be reckless to attempt in my vehicle. I could very likely get out (downhill) but it might be challenging getting home. Temperatures are just above freezing (~1°C), but not nearly enough to shift the thermal mass of the ice at least for now. Perhaps later today.

In my 26 years here I've seen far worse storms with lots more snow and/or ice. Despite substantially less total precipitation, this one is one of the most persistent - usually temperatures bounce back above 5°C with rain. That hasn't happened yet.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And they are the people who will find electric cars practical and a good solution. Its the rest of us who do  20,000km or more a year that dont' want to get shoe-horned into one until the issues are sorted.

Doubtless there were many for whom the horse remained a superior alternative to the internal-combustion engine for many years after the turn of the 20th century.

When was the last horse-dray retired in the UK, I wonder?

Professionally my career has been about selling technical software. There are two highly regarded schools of thought:

Both of them use jargon to explain their models (which many here would call BS bingo) but their models (which are different) hold up exceptionally well.

One of Christensen's insights is that disruptive technology, at the outset, it is usually inferior to the technology it replaces - which is what leads to the failure of companies that don't innovate. His modelling was based on computer memory. Anyone still using 8" floppy discs? But this aspect is equally true of EVs.

Moore's research was based on, of all things, (if I remember correctly), commercial crop seeds. Ignoring all the 'prescriptive' "chasm" stuff, his model of the technology adoption lifecycle holds up very well pertaining to how people respond to technical innovations and all the rationalizing that goes on.

I'd add a bit of junk-neuroscience, that all of our decisions are emotional decisions - our good old amygdala - fear: fight or flight etc. We reason (rationalize) our emotional decisions. Sometimes accurately, sometimes less so.

(A great example is "Rule 1 - It's my trainset.") 😉

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

No one is in sales long before they see some version of "The pesky salesperson" cartoon:

image.png.50841c1fd7577d846693f331a9e9d503.png

Everyone in sales goes "ha ha" because it can be hard to meet with potential customers.

My experience sees something else. The pesky salesperson gets their meeting with the king and thoroughly demonstrates the effectiveness of their disruptive technology. The King's response is along the lines of:

But this is much more expensive than spears. But how much do the bullets cost? How do I know how many bullets to purchase? Will there be any supply chain issues with the bullets when I need them? Swords are more reliable, they don't need bullets and they don't jam. What happens when someone sneaks up behind you?

This is the reality of disruptive technology.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When was the last horse-dray retired in the UK, I wonder?

Young's Brewery who used to be in Wandsworth retired their horses in 1997:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/brewer-s-dray-horses-fall-victim-to-road-rage-1256697.html

However it seems that Wadworth's Brewery in Devizes are still using them:

https://www.wadworth.co.uk/about/the-wadworth-shires

Also the Hook Norton Brewery in Banbury:

https://www.hooky.co.uk/hooky-shire-horses/https://samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/shire-horses/

And Samuel Smith's in Tadcaster:

https://samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/shire-horses/

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Steady sort of day here and it stayed chilly with the temperature not getting above 4°C.

A walk was undertaken and just over a mile completed with no ill effects.  Domestic tasks done by The Boss with me just keeping out of the way.

Next door neighbour Ali popped in for a cuppa and a chinwag with us.

After lunch I listened to some music for a couple of hours and somehow also managed to doze off in the armchair for an hour.

Tonight there is rugby to watch as usual and a plethora of matches available over the weekend.  I predict that

"somebody" in GDB Towers will not be overly excited about that.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10