The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think he has the wrong disc in the Enigma device. 

Its worse than that, he's trying to decode using the rotors from a Naval Enigma in an Army machine.  Either that, or the Geheimschreiber is on the fritz again...

Edited by Hroth
Tabletitis...
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Or simply that he’s posting from the Charente and Goggle-interpret thinks he should be speaking Franglais 

The Officer Crabtree app surely must exist…

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 11

12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Can't find one, but someone's done an academic paper on it 

Verbal Humour in Screen Translation: Officer Crabtree’s Case with the Fronch and Hungarian Longwodge

And it is salutary to think that 'Allo, 'also was on our screens more than thirty years ago (broadcast 1982-1992)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/347551457_Verbal_Humour_in_Screen_Translation_Officer_Crabtree's_Case_with_the_Fronch_and_Hungarian_Longwodge

Edited by Coombe Barton
Not Typoman this time
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The shopping went well, on the way home I looked at the Quayside where there were no ships but a number of low flying gulls who seemed to think that cars should move out of their way.  One almost hit my windscreen as I drove along.  The pigeons were also behaving with their cutomary stupidity, they like to walk across just in front of moving cars and refuse to walk or fly out of the way.  They are almost as bad as some of the local humans.

I had a pleasant walk round the park, there was hardly anyone about unlike the beach which I passed on the way home where there were lots of people running along the promenade - not the place for a quiet walk on Saturday mornings.

I spent the rest of the morning looking at some of my photos from 2008, as enjoyable as ever and bringing back a lot of memories. 

After lunch I did some model things, the Swiss platforms are now in place and the clearances checked by running trains round.  

I've also cleaned the car and checked the tyre pressures, as it is cooler they needed a little bit of extra air.  Then I had a "play" with the car radio to get the correct "favourites" to come up to make changing stations easier.  I have brought the handbook into the house to look up a couple of other things.

This evening will be as usual with books, TV and music.  Of the three the TV is by far the least important.

David

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Centre console, sanded and filled, a couple of no longer needed makers removed.

Opened one tin of part used white paint and found it was distinctly light green even after a good stir. 

Found a tin of part used dark blue, I decided to mix the two, came out a very nice light blue. Used that to paint the new mast step.

Some more of the unmentionable parallel bits of metal converted into tram track.

Started building a Matador. At one point the carpet monster swallowed a leaf spring it took several attempts to find it.

While perusing the kit I decided to remove some flashing, which was making from the driver look like his uniform over pressed..   then I noticed something .. Its fitted with a American helmet. !!!

Quite why a model of a British WW2 lorry would have an American driver I don't know.. anyway I decided that's not on for an RAF convoy . So having worn in real life in the RAF a WW2 issue tin hat. I've trimmed up the helmet and at some point will add the rim.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's alright I figured it out he says he's going to a dance and needs reinforcement or was that sequins.

My nephew works for Google and sent me this. 
https://google-research.github.io/seanet/audiopalm/examples/data/AudioPaLM_promo.mp4

You don’t have to watch all of it but it is one example of the sort of translation tools being developed. Thus one preserve,voice and tone elements too.  At the moment the one my nephew is working on only translates into  English but I expect the Star Trek universal translator isn’t far away.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Verbal Humour in Screen Translation: Officer Crabtree’s Case with the Fronch and Hungarian Longwodge

And it is salutary to think that 'Allo, 'also was on our screens more than thirty years ago (broadcast 1982-1992)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/347551457_Verbal_Humour_in_Screen_Translation_Officer_Crabtree's_Case_with_the_Fronch_and_Hungarian_Longwodge

Still the best “Crabtree” was the one effectively announcing the arrival of Covid - and which was posted here - reading

”The people are being all of the toolet pooper. There will be a shittage in the supermookets”. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

It most certainly does.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In other news our regular Amazon person is good. If we’re out he leaves things in the porch. 

Someone else was on the run today. They didn’t even open the gate let alone knock the door. Several hours later I received a “delivery” email.  For a package tossed over the wall by the bins. The contents are not undamaged. 

Suitable feedback has been provided.  Collection and replacement have been booked.   

IMG_5520.jpeg.2775688c7d9972b63dbaef91b8708419.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Ironically Arthur Bostrom who played Officer Crabtree can speak French fluently.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

The cold weather is here. At 11:00am it's around -8°C according to my patio thermometer, my telephone tells me it is -10°C. There was some icy stuff overnight. I think it was an accumulation of sleet. I did go out for a short 20 minute walk (properly bundled up). Light sleet continues on and off and is blowing around.

The bulk of the precipitation is to the south where perhaps 20mm of freezing rain is expected to accumulate. To the north some snow is expected. It remains to be seen what will fall here. So far, other than the cold temperatures, there is little remarkable going on.

Sub-freezing low temperatures (which are rare here) are forecast for the next three days.

EDIT

There's been a lot of wind-blown sleet in the last hour or so, rattling on the windows, with occasionally heavy sleet showers. They are noisy. Far better that than freezing rain.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Updated later
  • Friendly/supportive 15

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

my car has been written off in an accident this afternoon

Sorry to hear that Phil. Glad to hear there were no serious injuries. Hopefully the adrenaline rush wasn't too intense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

I have plenty of things to entertain me while weather-bound today. Many of these would have the television on in the background. Today is what they call NFL Super-wild card weekend - the first weekend of the NFL playoffs. (It got the "super" moniker when they added two more games with additional wild card teams in the playoffs.)

I am not a fan of streaming. One of today's NFL games is only available by streaming. This particular streamer does not have a fee, but you need to create a set of subscription credentials. (Regular season, Thursday night games have only been available streamed on Amazon Prime all season.)

Not only that but today is the first day of the Australian Open tennis (Sunday down-under). The broadcaster of the Australian Open in the US has made day one only available on their streaming service - which does require a fee-based subscription.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have plenty of things to entertain me while weather-bound today. Many of these would have the television on in the background. Today is what they call NFL Super-wild card weekend - the first weekend of the NFL playoffs. (It got the "super" moniker when they added two more games with additional wild card teams in the playoffs.)

I gather that the Steelers - Bills game scheduled for tomorrow (1PM ET and originally to be the evening wild card game live on Sky in the UK) has been postponed until Monday due to ‘inclement weather in the Buffalo area’.

That must be a pretty rare event.  Virtually nothing bar lightening around open air stadia normally postpones or delays an NFL game.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

48 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not only that but today is the first day of the Australian Open tennis (Sunday down-under). The broadcaster of the Australian Open in the US has made day one only available on their streaming service - which does require a fee-based subscription.

Channel 9 carry the tennis free on their streaming site if you set your VPN to Australia...

https://www.9now.com.au/australian-open-tennis

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It was only a slow speed collision .................. on a 15 year old car that means a one way trip to the scrapyard

Also apparently if its a brand new EV.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

57 minutes ago, 4630 said:

I gather that the Steelers - Bills game scheduled for tomorrow (1PM ET) has been postponed until Monday due to ‘inclement weather in the Buffalo area’.

I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Yes, it is in the 4:30pm EST* slot on Monday. Monday is the Martin Luther King Jr. Federal holiday (for those that actually get the day off).

* 9:30pm GMT

57 minutes ago, 4630 said:

That must be a pretty rare event.  Virtually nothing bar lightening around open air stadia normally postpones or delays an NFL game.

Yes. Blizzard conditions forecast:

The forecast for the Buffalo area predicted heavy snow and winds up to 65 mph on Saturday, with one to two feet or more of snow eventually piling up

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

Speaking of EV's......

Just for fun  and to delay having to go out and cut the grass (which  has gone mental with the rain and humidity - I have to wade through it while watching out for  snakes!) I compared the insurance quotes on a 2022 model Tesla given that companies, hire  car outfits etc are ditching them at a rate of knots at the moment so I wondered what I'd be up for if I suddenly went insane and bought one second hand.

Only 2  companies (neither of which I've ever heard of) were happy to insure me and....phew!

Screenshot(274).png.982f4f2958f3b685c60492414ffc6b62.png

I then got an online  quote from the NRMA that I have membership, other insurance policies and loyalty discounts with and got it down to $3177, but thats still quite a lump of money.

In comparison my 6 litre V8 ute with performance options cost me $666 (I like that!)  when I re-insured it last month. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking of EV's......

Just for fun  and to delay having to go out and cut the grass (which  has gone mental with the rain and humidity - I have to wade through it while watching out for  snakes!) I compared the insurance quotes on a 2022 model Tesla given that companies, hire  car outfits etc are ditching them at a rate of knots at the moment so I wondered what I'd be up for if I suddenly went insane and bought one second hand.

Only 2  companies (neither of which I've ever heard of) were happy to insure me and....phew!

Screenshot(274).png.982f4f2958f3b685c60492414ffc6b62.png

In comparison my 6 litre V8 ute with performance options cost me $666 (I like that!)  when I re-insured it last month. 

There was a fire on a battery powered London bus yesterday, today the whole fleet of the type of bus concerned have been taken off the road for checks.

• Informative/Useful 15