The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Drilling holes in mountains is nowhere near as hard to organise as buying up parcels of land from individuals.. then getting through planning etc..  

Baz

And then throwing it all up in the air, saying "To hell with it, we won't bother." and using money earmarked for the scheme as feelgood bribes in the run up to a general election...

Potholes? Really???

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

the devious cheese and chocolate making yodellers even have the temerity to have a cunning (and underhand) communist plan for the future of Swiss transport

Aha. 

Captain Cynical and his Merry Men* are exposed, leotards whipped off and their plans laid bare. 

* other descriptors are available. 

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I've spoken to a young lady in Mumbai re. the house insurance and the old policy will be cancelled from the first of Feb. Strangely they accepted the cancellation without demur, I thought they would at least have tried to make a better offer but no.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

On the costs of high speed rail, it's just another example of how we have managed to make major infrastructure unaffordable. Painful bureaucratic processes (planning and consent is a nightmare) is a part of it, as is a skills shortage and the silly stop-go disjointed nature of government programs. There's a culture of bidding low knowing prices will spiral upwards and the variation orders will be like confetti. And the fact that key decision makers in government are clueless doesn't help. I have been involved with projects where vendors have highlighted problems with specifications and basically been dismissed because Whitehall knows best. The whole system is a dysfunctional shambles but I can't see it improving as the issues are structural and systemic, we can change political parties in government but little will change. We squandered untold billions over the last 25 years, have been accumulating debt (a question few ask is why we went into the 2008 financial crisis with already high debts after a decade long economic 'boom' in which our genius chancellor apparently eliminated the concept of economic cycles). 

And a great part of the planning and consent issues centre around NIMBYism.  Objections being put in front of projects that have to be refuted - often at great expense with detailed independent investigations followed by amelioration steps if some hint of substance is established.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And then throwing it all up in the air, saying "To hell with it, we won't bother." and using money earmarked for the scheme as feelgood bribes in the run up to a general election...

Potholes? Really???

I thought that as the entire population of London was now working from home why do they need 'high speed' Choo Chu's to get there.

Anyway our potholes up nor' are bigger than yours as we've not had as much money spent on them.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought that as the entire population of London was now working from home why do they need 'high speed' Choo Chu's to get there.

Anyway our potholes up nor' are bigger than yours as we've not had as much money spent on them.

Because HS 2 started so long ago there was a labour government in power, working from home ( aka the golf course) was for senior management only then .

Mean while there are road works all over the place here , so some money obviously came this way.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Because HS 2 started so long ago there was a labour government in power, working from home ( aka the golf course) was for senior management only then .

Mean while there are road works all over the place here , so some money obviously came this way.

End of year budget has to be spent and is usually thrown at ill thought out, hastily arranged road works, the way councils get money is that if they don't spend all of it that comes from Westminster, then they get a deduction next year. So instead of planning how to spend the money wisely, earlier in the year, like when the weather is suitable, they sit on it, just in case, then have to blow it before 1st of April. Civil service in action at it's finest, almost straight from "Yes Minister".

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Meanwhile there are roadworks all over the place here , so some money obviously came this way.

3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

End of year budget has to be spent and is usually thrown at ill thought out, hastily arranged road works, the way councils get money is that if they don't spend all of it that comes from Westminster, then they get a deduction next year. So instead of planning how to spend the money wisely, earlier in the year, like when the weather is suitable, they sit on it, just in case, then have to blow it before 1st of April. Civil service in action at it's finest, almost straight from "Yes Minister".

Like wot 'e sez.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Aha. 

Captain Cynical and his Merry Men* are exposed, leotards whipped off and their plans laid bare. 

* other descriptors are available. 

I've just amended it to reveal the secret code.

Its not a pretty sight...

46 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Of course, The Beatles knew all about the pothole situation "'oop North" over 55 years ago...

I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

A Day in the Life:  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Drilling holes in mountains is nowhere near as hard to organise as buying up parcels of land from individuals.. then getting through planning etc..  

Baz

1) don't you have compulsory purchase?

2) surely the government (any government) has the right to overrule local planning decisions?

I wonder how much the totals are for "legal fees" and "consultants fees"?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

1) don't you have compulsory purchase?

I seem to recall (I have a long memory!) that Napoleon had a plan drawn up to tunnel beneath the “English Channel” and invade.  

He didn’t have the compulsory purchasing power over Neptunus Rex. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I seem to recall (I have a long memory!) that Napoleon had a plan drawn up to tunnel beneath the “English Channel” and invade.  

He didn’t have the compulsory purchasing power over Neptunus Rex. 

TBH I don't think he had the technology either.  Look how long* it took the Brunels to dig their tunnel under the Thames a few years later!

* 1825 - 1843, and they had the tunnelling shield that Marc Isambard Brunel invented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Tunnel

Edited by Hroth
Fact checking...
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I hated that, public sector bodies would live like misers for three quarters then just waste money on stupid stuff just to make sure it was spent in Q4.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 6
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It's come over a bit dark and cloudy but no rain fortunately. I'm going out shopping this afternoon as with a busy weekend coming up I won't have much time for shopping.

• Like 14

Evening All,

Much skipping of late due various things but hope everyone is at least ‘managing’.  
@grandadbob dont get too comfortable, the Shark will be waved in your direction sooner or later.

Goodnight.

sorry for late arrival of post only just seen its not been posted! Better late than never. (?)

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

TBH I don't think he had the technology either. 

The reference I used has an image of a large trench being dug apparently using coffer dams and the sea-bed back-filled rather as a cut-and-cover tunnel is built.  But beneath the sea. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

In other news the LED lights to replace the halogens we have fitted arrived in the past hour.  The kitchen ones are a straight one-for-one swap-out but the bedroom ones, which emit fewer lumens and are designed for such use, are a smaller diameter and don't fit the holders.  Turdycurses.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Teeth inspected, and given a polish. That water they use was cold!!!

On the way there, 3 across the road puddles still in existence, but previously flooded field now just has puddles.

One road said "road closed ahead" had we turned round it would be nearly an hour from that point to turn round and cross by the next bridge up.

Luckily they hadn't started yet, so we got through. We parked on the road between railway cottage and railway house, on the road that is the former track bed. We came back the other way using more of that line.

On return I've modified the new mast step. After several trials it now fits, I'll paint it tomorrow.

I was just going to say we await phone call about "little red driving machine"© Gwiwer, but they've just phoned.. time to go and spend some muddling tokens.

• Like 19

16 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Then it probably easier getting it compared to asking the Swiss for it. Remember the fuss they kicked up when one of there banks was found to be 'hiding' some money from various businesses.

An important point of order: the Swiss banks weren't breaking any Swiss laws.

If other jurisdictions can't prevent their duly-owed tax revenues from (ahem) "going on holiday", why is that Switzerland's problem?

The Zürich police aren't going after any British drivers who broke ULEZ laws (laws???) in London. Why should they? Not their circus, not their monkey!

Applying your own laws IN other countries is not a good idea (an interesting FYI: ever since the US decided it would apply the same IRS rules, regulations and laws to ALL Americans - no matter where they live and no matter how long they've been away from the USA, Americans are finding it increasingly hard to get financial services (and jobs) in their adopted countries)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1