The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I'm sure this kind of thing would have shaken me as well, Boris. So much the better that you were not harmed, because I guess you never know with lunkheads like these.

Other than that, it truly is pea-soupy outside, and cold. Girlfriend's down with migraine, it would seem, and went back to bed - I wonder if that may have to do with this kind of weather.

Cheers everyone!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,very mild outside which I have just visited with the dog. I have had a disturbed night worrying about the alarm going off and upsetting her! I hope you have recovered your usual poise now Boris,a most annoying incident.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,very mild outside which I have just visited with the dog. I have had a disturbed night worrying about the alarm going off and upsetting her! I hope you have recovered your usual poise now Boris,a most annoying incident.

Does this mean that the dog you went to see was truly cat friendly and is now a resident?

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I believe Mick's dog is a greyhound or lurcher. Surprisingly cat-friendly dogs they are in most cases. It helps not to run across their path though if you're a cat - they just can't resist the chase!

Dave.

Morning all. Still 50% dark here. Considering hibernating until the winter solstice... Actually I've almost got enough leave left to take the whole of December off... I won't though, I'll just carry some over to next year as usual. I carried over 6.5 days at the start of this year, I'll carry over the maximum 10 this time with a bit of luck. You never know when you might want to take those extra two weeks and disappear for a whole month...

• RMweb Gold

I believe Mick's dog is a greyhound or lurcher. Surprisingly cat-friendly dogs they are in most cases. It helps not to run across their path though if you're a cat - they just can't resist the chase!

Dave.

I was wondering if this was the Akita he had been to see recently?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Still 50% dark here. Considering hibernating until the winter solstice...

I think my wife would like to hibernate until British Summer Time. She seems to have been getting home later recently. It would seem that some colleagues suddenly find reasons why they can't do an early evening training session and can rely on her taking it. She is one of those people in management who if someone backs out does it herself.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

So, BT have been, Tony?

Is Essex pretty well Cableized now? - I like that: "Cableized"

Good Morning everybody and Happy Thanksgiving Day!

This is why we, at least, do not have Turkey again at Christmas.....

Best, Pete.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, (thank you for the reminder, I must start the greetings emails off to the US.)

BT haven't been yet but it is an appointment between 8 and 1.

It isn't cable we are getting. This part of Essex was cabled years ago, we had cable TV but when Virgin took over Telewest and started dropping channels I wanted we got satellite from Sky. The system BT are upgrading is fibre to the cabinet. The signal only has to travel over copper wire for the length of our road. The engineer will fit a new phone faceplate, install a VDSL modem and plug it into the router.

I wasn't going to bother originally but getting (estimated) 35Mbps instead of 14Mbps (and much faster upload than now) and paying less seemed sensible.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that fibre to the house (from BT) is for new builds only at present. Some of the cable companies are offering some 100Mbps connections. This was an option with BT but not here. Years ago my brother was involved in some of the early UK tests of fibre optic in High St conditions. Fibre may have many good properties but just as my brother completed the commissioning of a fibre optic link in Pakistan an earthquake cut it! Most of his work was with microwave communications until he became more occupied with computer systems.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Where are you located, Boris?

Sounds like a disturbing experience.

As Dave says, be careful out there - especially with your aim to avoid contradictory testimony.

I live in Goathland, North Yorkshire. I can definitely say that last night wasn't the best nights sleep I have ever had, I started at almost every noise once I went back to bed! One thing I can safely say is that I am not quite brave enough to go out and physically confront them, leaning out of a top floor window with a camera is about as far as I go. Mind you a camera flash going off is a fantastic way of scaring folks off who are up to no good.

We've got a bit of a crimewave in this part of the world at the moment as thieves are targeting rural businesses, farms and houses because of the slower police response times and the lower chance of being caught on CCTV. Mind you round here lots of folks own shotguns and .22 rifles, so one of these days one will bite off more than they can chew. My Springfield is a .50 calibre so I won't be firing that at a thief anytime soon, it'll make too much of a mess.

I keep a "Cold Steel" Tomahawk and a Machete around the house for security. I have not had to use them but they make me feel better to have around.

If I used a firearm in my house a) I'd be deafened. B) Even a 9mm would traverse the house and probably my neighbours too (wood framed). A .38 Special with low powered wadcutters would be ideal but usually that calibre only comes in Revolver form and I don't like revolvers, for many reasons.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

No more of a mess than a twelve bore at close range, just make sure you hit the front of them. The new dog is the Akita we went to see the RSPCA were keen we took her they were probably fed up of being licked. If I work out pictures I will put one up at lunchtime..

Guest Max Stafford

.50 cal? Oh, what a lovely pest control device.

I will say that the neglect of rural policing by the imbeciles at the top is a crime in itself and it really makes my p*ss boil.

As a matter of fact, just about anything those reality-estranged clowns and chancers do now has that effect on me.

It sickens me to hear them banging on about rule of law when they have largely withdrawn from the countryside yet they expect rural folk to leave security and safety in their hands.

I'm a firm believer that if the state has abandoned its commitment to your security then you have to take responsibility for your own. I honestly believe it's time remote communities formed their own protection forces.

Pretty desperate times when somebody like me thinks that!

Anyway, time for one of you guys to lighten things up again now I've put a bleedin' damper on proceedings! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing Mick's Akita!

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

• RMweb Gold

Broadsword calling Danny Boy.....

This does seem to be working! Not quite as fast as an Italian neutrino but compared to my very first 300 baud (1200/75 for Prestel I think) all seems super. Very pleasant BTOpenreach engineer, very neat job, no mess (modem is wall mounted so hole drilling was required).

Fortunately this does seem to be a low crime area, we have to go back to last December for any reported crime (and apparently that turned out to be a "misunderstanding") in our road. We don't have Neighbourhood Watch but people do look out for each others property and my furry early warning system (aka Robbie) tends to let us know when someone approaches the house. I'm sure the BT engineer thought the Hound of the Baskervilles lived here from the initial noise.

Tony

Cold Steel make some very nice toys, I have their 1796 pattern light cavalry sabre, very nice it is too. You've not seen a Tomahawk until you've seen one made by a proper American! I have a beauty that has a hollow shaft to double as a pipe with a bowl on the back of the blade, which apparently was one of the more common variations, but Hollywood doesn't show the Indians sitting round sucking on their Tomahawks! As a fighting weapon they aren't much cop aside from the terror value, comtemporary accounts show folks being more scared of the ones who used captured cavalry sabres.

The Springfield used to be one of the black powder ones (bearing in mind their were something like 2 million by the end of the American Civil War), but it has the Allin trapdoor conversion to allow it to fire cartridges. It is an original, complete with armoury stamps, 1862 for the acceptance from the factory and 1864 for the trapdoor conversion. In the UK it is an obsolete calibre but ammunition is quite easy to come by, its a .50 cal round with a 405 grain bullet. I took it out on a grouse shoot earlier this year and for the age she is extremely accurate, although you can't really eat what you've shot. 2 hours of firing that thing left both shoulders bruised to hell (lucky enough to be able to shoot with either hand!) I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, with the stopping power of this thing, who needs hollow point rounds anyway (illegal in the UK for civilians).

Boris, The Cold Steel Tomahawk is proving very popular with US Special forces involved with House searches/clearances - together with a short-barreled automatic shotgun and a pouch of handgrenades. Very effective combination! I was a member of the UKPSA in England and all the restrictions were one of the reasons I chose to leave the country......I still miss it, however.

My heavy barreled L1A1 (accurized by Fultons) ended up in the Imperial War Museum - it is a beautiful rifle but I think that it is buried in their vaults.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic