The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On microplastics in sea water, that is a topical issue at IMO and there is much talk of regulation. The problem is that without wanting to deny that ships are a source of microplastic discharges to sea their contribution is pretty much insignificant relative to discharges from land based sources yet many member States are happy to pontificate about shipping while refusing to countenance moves to address land based discharges.

Very similar to plastic litter, it's already illegal (and has been for a long time) for ships flagged to a party of the MARPOL Convention to dump trash, throw plastic over the wall etc. It'd be naïve to imagine it doesn't still happen but it's a marginal issue for ships, and the contribution of ships to general litter at sea is statistically trivial yet to listen to some you'd think every bit of litter you see on a beach or out at sea came from a nefarious ship. Lost fishing nets is a bigger issue, that's not a commercial shipping issue so I don't get involved but I am guessing that given the price of large nets that fishing vessels don't just throw the things into the sea.

It always amazes me when countries pontificate and demand more regulation to address stuff which is already illegal under international regulations those same countries are supposed to have implemented and be enforcing. It's the same as land based legislators, the answer to every issue is more law despite the fact the issue under question is already illegal. We need to make it doubly illegal and hope nobody asks the question -if enforcement agencies couldn't be bothered to enforce the existing laws which already fully address the matter why is another law the answer? 

As you will probably know already politicians love to talk and to be seen to be 'doing' something. Unfortunately it has spread to every day life as well. 

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning g from the Charente. It is still cool but the logs are burning well. The cutgi g and transport of the logs give me a good amount of u programmed exercise.  One of the good counts daughters,namely Dominique,has just been to gather some red liquid from Beth. She was in great form and accepted a coffee with milk.  

This mornings schedule starts with the ironing then a start will be made on fixing the new TV bracket. 

As to septic tanks, ours is now a modern one that very rarely needs emptying.  The water waste gives us a luxuriant front weed patch even in the height of summer. 

Jamie

You ought to convert the "luxuriant front weed patch" into a reed bed system to act as a waste water purifier.

Chester Zoo have a small one that handles the output from the Elephant enclosure...

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1658217

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, and definitely in the marine food chain. And not just the nylon 'fleece' but any fibres that make stretchy comfortable clothes including undies and 'stretch' denim.

There were experiments in wild waterways in Oregon. Micro-plastics were detected upstream of any potential human sources - suggesting they are in the precipitation cycle.

Sullage to the sea and back as rain or snow.

I struggle to see how micro or nano plastics can be part of the precipitation cycle.  I can however imagine that these particles can be carried on the wind from a washing line or even from someone just wearing an item outdoors.  Whether that then get carried up high into the atmosphere to form a nucleus for a raindrop seems reasonable but that does not really form part of the conventional precipitation cycle.  

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Very cold first thing this morning and now just creeping to above zero but at least there is no precipitation. The foxes were 'at it' last night, very noisily, one lot in the back garden and another pair on the front doorstep, they soon moved when I opened the front door. I have seen the dog fox marking his territory and only the other day I saw him strutting down the street but a few minutes later he met a dog walker going the other way which resulted in a lot of barking and a reddish brown streak flashing past and disappearing around the corner.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I know (and use) both terms.  

Satzoomers. Because you have sat on them and they zoom. 

Marrows because they are long, dark green with yellow bits, rather hard and not many people like them. 

Whatever you call them they are carp! Seats.. poor. No toast available as no space for a toaster 9 car diesel/ electric set) run by very poor company.. (change of ownership but its the management who are clueless. Staff very dispirited..)

Not helped by an awful interior colour scheme which is very dreary...

Now 30 minutes late.. and my coach has a few minor wheel flats as ride is "bumpy"

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Whatever you call them they are carp! Seats.. poor. Not past available as no ace for a toaster 9 car diesel/ electric set) run by very poor company..

The same is true for the green ones which come in our general direction.  

Dr. SWMBO is over the near 6-hour trek each way on an ironing-board where there should be a seat offering reasonable comfort.  She is over the harsh eye-searing white LED lighting which causes nausea.  She is over the almost-certain delay of 30 - 120 minutes on each and every trip but has at least claimed for Delay Repay and had her refunds processed fairly quickly.  And she is over the absence of any form of on-train catering.  

It is a disgrace that a major rail business fails to provide even drinking water for such long trips.  There "should be" a trolley service but eight trips out of ten there isn't and on the others it might come through once in over 5 hours.  They can't serve anything more than cold drinks and nibbles because they have no chilling (so no sandwiches) and seldom more than enough hot water for one coach-load of thirsty coffee drinkers.  

On-board staff are empathetic and agree (if you can get them to discuss anything at all) that the service is woeful.  They can't do any more than pass on feedback.  

At least the Late and Never Early Railway ones have buffet counters and at-seat service (most of the time) even if the range offered is pretty minimal compared to BR days.  GWR sets have full kitchens which are never* used but occupy half a carriage but no buffet service at all.  

* Other than for the four Pullman dining trips each weekday which can each serve no more than 17 passengers.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

But they do have the "Poor Mans  Cockatoo",  the Kea...

Is that,

a KEA on a KIA?

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, Flanged Wheel said:

On Monday, we caught a train. It arrived on time, was spotlessly clean, and had comfy seats (even in our basic carriage). Eight hours later, we reached our destination precisely on time, having been supplied by a very reasonably priced coffee cart on countless occasions. The staff were incredibly friendly and smartly turned out and the whole thing was an absolute pleasure.

So if you want a decent train journey, it appears that you may have to come and join us in Indonesia…

(Mind you, it does appear that all members of the population and their pets are issue track passes at birth. The finest moment was seeing cows being merrily herded between the running lines with trains passing in both directions).

I know way more than I will ever need to know about Indonesia due to it being spruiked as our major trading partner in the 70's and thus a chief subject to get taught about at school. 

I learned about the 4 main islands, Sumatra....    hmmm...... oh,  Borneo........ .and .....................the  other two.     (it was a long time ago! ) and the only language course the NSW public school system offered  in the 70's/early 80's was was French, German  or Indonesian. 

We also did Indonesian cooking classes in home economics.

Paradoxically as well as us being groomed  to consider it as our major trading and cultural partner we were also always being warned that it was  THE major threat to Australia's security in the 90's and  early 2000's, but apparently our F-111's would keep us safe.

Indonesia seems to have since retreated in the nations threat level list   -  China with its smarmy cosying up to everyone around here has since taken its place as scary country number one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Think I can justify this as industrial archaeology...

P1630883.JPG

My problem with that sort of industrial archeology is that its evidence of a waste of time, effort, money, and national infrastructure.  Though it doesn't almost reduce me to tears and want to find a baseball bat as "Before and After" railway photo books do. One about the remains of the Great Central Railway really annoyed me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I know (and use) both terms.  

Satzoomers. Because you have sat on them and they zoom. 

Marrows because they are long, dark green with yellow bits, rather hard and not many people like them. 

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Whatever you call them they are carp! Seats.. poor. Not past available as no ace for a toaster 9 car diesel/ electric set) run by very poor company.. (change of ownership but its the management who are clueless. Staff very dispirited..

Not helped by an awful interior colour scheme which is very dreary...

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The same is true for the green ones which come in our general direction.  

Dr. SWMBO is over the near 6-hour trek each way on an ironing-board where there should be a seat offering reasonable comfort.  She is over the harsh eye-searing white LED lighting which causes nausea.  She is over the almost-certain delay of 30 - 120 minutes on each and every trip but has at least claimed for Delay Repay and had her refunds processed fairly quickly.  And she is over the absence of any form of on-train catering.  

It is a disgrace that a major rail business fails to provide even drinking water for such long trips.  There "should be" a trolley service but eight trips out of ten there isn't and on the others it might come through once in over 5 hours.  They can't serve anything more than cold drinks and nibbles because they have no chilling (so no sandwiches) and seldom more than enough hot water for one coach-load of thirsty coffee drinkers.  

On-board staff are empathetic and agree (if you can get them to discuss anything at all) that the service is woeful.  They can't do any more than pass on feedback.  

At least the Late and Never Early Railway ones have buffet counters and at-seat service (most of the time) even if the range offered is pretty minimal compared to BR days.  GWR sets have full kitchens which are never* used but occupy half a carriage but no buffet service at all.  

* Other than for the four Pullman dining trips each weekday which can each serve no more than 17 passengers.  

Ah yes, the glory that once was the railways in Britain…

I was wandering around YouTube (as one does, as one does) when I came across a video by a British railway enthusiast (definitely knowledgeable and definitely an anorak) who was reviewing the unsuitability of various UK train-sets for certain routes…. Basically, the video can be summarised as “the TOC wanted to change/upgrade/modify the rolling stock to adapt it to the new role and the DfT said “No).

I am slowly arriving at the conclusion that as much as incompetent management, bolshy unions and meddling ministers have all played their part in b******g up Britain’s railway - the real culprits - the ones waving the gas axes in the direction of what remains of Britain’s railways - are the Mandarins and faceless functionaries at the DfT.

If the Japanese successfully privatised their railways (and the Japanese are the first to admit their railway debt to Britain), why couldn’t the British (who privatised after Japan) do it properly? The UK could have learnt a lot from the Japanese. Could it be that the combination of the British attitude of not trusting Johnny Foreigner and the Cult of Incompetence that currently bedevils the UK prevented those privatising the railways from learning how best to do it?

Ironically, much of the (justly) maligned rolling stock is built by companies that produce comfortable and well laid out rolling stock for many European countries. But there again European rolling stock is not built down to DfT requirements…

A final (cynical) thought: were a government to prohibit DfT staff from coming to work by private vehicle (including the top Mandarins), would the UK suddenly experience a renaissance of public transport?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

55 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Ironically, much of the (justly) maligned rolling stock is built by companies that produce comfortable and well laid out rolling stock for many European countries. But there again European rolling stock is not built down to DfT requirements…

Here its the opposite. The aging inter-urban V-set  EMU's built by Comeng in Newcastle NSW are just lovely.  Comfortable, smooth, super -nice  leather seats etc. 

The previous government (who live on the side of politics that says union workforces are bad, as is local manufacturing for some reason) outsourced their replacements to South Korea and Spain.

Meant to be up and running by 2019,  we still don't have them. The Korean ones turned out to be too wide for the Blue Mountains line because they didn't actually measure stuff,  so it cost a fortune to shave bits off the platform edges  with a giant rasp or something.

The Spanish ones have been plagued with fails like inadequate legroom, poor and unsafe lighting levels, an intolerably  bumpy ride but the major issue is a driver-monitored camera replacing guards, a system that has already been demonstrated to be a danger to the travelling public. 

Delays,  contract  disagreements, , renegotiations and legal   costs have been mental - sometimes it is just easier,  cheaper and better to use local unionised  labour rather than go all out trying to kill it off.   Attempted privatisation/union busting - 0 stars.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

why couldn’t the British (who privatised after Japan) do it properly?

Because privatisation was absolutely nothing to do with the railways. It was ideological.  Many other publicly owned services were sold off at the same time. Gas, electricity and water for example. Schools and medical services endured financial cutbacks. There was no interest in instituting the kind of systems developed for running national infrastructure in other European and Asian countries. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3