The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I thought when I heard the headline on TV why did they get so excited about french glass?, In Medieval it would almost be common among the well off. Not till the end of the piece when they said 600 -800 AD did I think,  what? That's not medieval, They also said it was strange to have crouched burials, err nope common on non Christian burials of that period.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

And with the same sort of emotions as one too. I'm thinking of the time when I was told abruptly with no warning or compassion the doctor thought I would not recover from an operation and I should plan accordingly. Then disappeared... OK, delivering bad news is rarely easy but the way he did it might remind some people of rather heavy-handed and unsubtle training films on how to/not to do it. 

Very true. We could debate whether it's 'some', many' or 'most' ad infinitum - but IMHE (from me and three relatives being treated in the same NHS Trust area as Baz) it's too many.  

Similar story. The doctor above was later described by a more senior colleague (and someone with no little skill/professional expertise) as 'an idiot'... 

Physicians - as a group - tend to have the same outliers as any group of professionals (idiots and fools at one end of the spectrum, highly competent and highly regarded "super experts" at the the other).

Unfortunately, the NHS often doesn't create a good working environment that helps physicians do their jobs properly. If you've been on your feet for 18 hours in a row, haven't had anything to eat beyond what a vending machine (might) offer, you'd get a bit shirty. No matter what sort of job you do, the absence of competent and meaningful support will impair the performance (in all aspects) you can provide.

Here is not the place for a forensic analysis of what ails the NHS - suffice to say, NHS Senior Management is, in the eyes of many clinicians, not considered a great help in helping them treat patients.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Not too fond of the Ruskis either.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'm hoping the next appointment with my GP on Friday goes better than some I've read about.  There are two issues, one is almost certain to need surgery and the other may need action, I am hoping it is not at the more serious end of the possibilities.

Today I decided to do a bit of shopping so drove to the nearby shopping centre at Cramlington.  It wasn't busy at 09.45 so I parked outside the shop I wanted to visit (Dunelm Mill), went in and emerged shortly afterwards with a large bag containing new towels, so more old ones have now been thrown out.  I also had a walk around Currys which is always interesting.

As it was very dull I decided not to try to take photos so went for a walk at the beach and was back home in time for coffee.

Since then as mentioned more things have been put out for the tip, I am almost enjoying the process.  I found a number of old lace type table mats and some which looked as though they were from the early 60s in a drawer so they too have gone.  I've read a bit and looked at the garden again.  The forecast is for colder weather so I think the plants will stop growing.

Next on the agenda is tea, Robson Green's programme and then either reading or watching aDVD/something streamed or reading.  Yesterday I had a good look at my DVD collection and found a number to watch/rewatch - I tend to buy them in charity shops usually when the are 3 for £1.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

IMG_3240.jpeg.0ca4e39686c3090c3735907a7aa45fde.jpeg

Yeah my earlier point was that Danes, Swedes and Norwegians refer to themselves Scandinavians. They generally seem quite happy with that term. Our family refers to itself as Danish or Danes and collectively with Sweden and Norway as Scandinavian. So why has this Nordic term recently showed up, especially on BBC stuff? 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

When did the Dark Ages become Medieval?

There appears to be an effort to remove the "Dark Ages" label. Despite illuminated manuscripts the relative paucity of written records doesn't make them 'dark'.

Wikipedia says this on "Medieval"

In the history of Europe, the Middle Ages or medieval period (also spelled mediæval or mediaeval) lasted approximately from 500 AD to 1500, although alternative starting and end points exist.

Or if you prefer - "post classical".

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

2 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Yeah my earlier point was that Danes, Swedes and Norwegians refer to themselves Scandinavians. They generally seem quite happy with that term.

Yes, maybe Icelanders too. Maybe even Greenlanders. But not Finns.

I've seen "Nordic" meaning Northern Europe encompassing Finland in use for a long time. Depending on usage (like inside a company) it might even include the Baltic States.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A'noon/Evenin' each,

Another wet and breezy day but the house is still in the same place as it was.   Banking was done as planned and then I made an unscheduled visit to a newish highly recommended butcher in the area.  What a waste of time that was.  Opening hours posted online said 8.00 till 5.00,  a sign on the door said 8.00 till 1.00 but when I got there at about 10.00 they were closed.  Still looking for a good butcher as our old favourite closed last year due to lack of business and huge increase in rent etc.  There is a good one not too far a drive away but parking is an issue.

Got back and mounted The North face of Mount Loft and retrieved the decoration boxes.  I've removed batteries from various things, last year I missed one and found a corroded leaking mess.  Some boxes are now filled but that leaves me with about 10 strings of lights of differing types and sizes to sort out and pack away along with our old faithful tree which we've had for about 15 years.  Maybe tomorrow. 

Shopping list for Sainsbury's has been completed for tomorrow and a tentative order placed next week with Ocado/M&S as a couple of Sainsbury items have become somewhat disappointing recently...another reason we want to find a decent butcher.

I started putting the bins out for tomorrow only to hear Russ next door banging on his upstairs office window and reminding me that this week's collection will be on Saturday again, Friday next week and back to normal the week after.

Not much to do until dinner which tonight looks like being fish and chips, well sort of.  Actually it'll be Sainsbury's melt in the middle fishcakes with french fries and peas which won't be mushy ones 'cos I don't like them.  Purists can scoff all they like but I don't care, I rather like that particular combination every now and then.  There may be a glass or two of wine involved as well....which will be red, I very rarely drink white.

Tonight I will be binge watching several episodes of season 18 of "The Deadliest Catch."  I've been watching this for years and still haven't decided if these guys and girls are incredibly brave/stark raving bonkers or a combination of both.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, maybe Icelanders too. Maybe even Greenlanders. But not Finns.

I've seen "Nordic" meaning Northern Europe encompassing Finland in use for a long time. Depending on usage (like inside a company) it might even include the Baltic States.

Mmmmmm maybe that’s why Denmark, Sweden and Norway use Scandinavia….it is more specific to that group of countries. 

Also a thought on why the Dark Ages might be called the Dark Ages from a 6 year old Dane, who may just have got a bit mixed with her recently history lessons at school…..”Could it be called the Dark Ages in England because that’s when the Vikings went to England and it is more darker for longer in Denmark during the winter and maybe it made them feel a bit less home sick?” …..superb! Think I’ll go with that…😂

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There appears to be an effort to remove the "Dark Ages" label. Despite illuminated manuscripts the relative paucity of written records doesn't make them 'dark'.

I suppose its a point of view.  As far as the period between the departure of the Romans and the reigns of the later Anglo Saxon Kings, there's nothing that could be described as "Medieval" in England.  Early Medieval as far as the British Isles is concerned is very much 900AD to 1100AD.  This backdating of Medieval to the end of Roman Britain is almost as bad as model railway "eras"...  Perhaps there should be another label to replace the "Dark Ages", which was fine when we didn't have all thes recent archaeological evidence, but "Medieval" isn't it!

As for "Nordic"

Wikipedia says:

The Nordics inhabit the countries around the North and Baltic Seas and include not only the great Scandinavian and Teutonic groups, but also other early peoples who first appear in southern Europe and in Asia as representatives of Aryan language and culture."

Which sounds terribly "Adolf"....

Sometimes Wikipedia is a bit odd.

• Agree 10

HUMP day... sort of, given we had a pass on Monday!

Little to report from yesterday, slow start and the Mrs seems to have contracted a very mild form of what lurgy attacked me, hardly surprising!

Net result, see was resting most of yesterday, but still had a decent appetite and overall fairing pretty well, today seems better still.

IMPORTANT NOTE: My last week bout of virus provided a very good perhaps Christmas Present/Weight loss answer;

Get a miserable virus that loses your appetite, and you don't eat for 6 days, and only hydrate with various liquids - non-alcoholic, and VIOLA, dropped 7lbs!!!

So next annual checkup I'll starve myself for 6 days prior and maybe THEN the Doc will say, "well done, you've lost weight!"

Uneventful today, save some moderate work activity.

Was -4c first thing, overcast, -1c the expected high, the light snow we had at the weekend mostly disappearing now, some possible this weekend.

Carry on.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As for "Nordic"

Wikipedia says: 

The Nordics inhabit the countries around the North and Baltic Seas and include not only the great Scandinavian and Teutonic groups, but also other early peoples who first appear in southern Europe and in Asia as representatives of Aryan language and culture."

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Which sounds terribly "Adolf"....

Sometimes Wikipedia is a bit odd.

Maybe A.I.wrote it?  ……Adolf Itler? 

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Grizz said:

Maybe A.I.wrote it?  ……Adolf Itler? 

You may think so, I couldn't possibly comment...

😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I have no argument with that (as a one-time junior NHS manager!) but when the Trust I first worked in was passed to Clinicians to administrate in the great new world of NHS Trusts, they bankrupted it in 6 months, having spent the entire years budget on all their pet treatment schemes. Then followed two years of hard fought recovery. 

So let administrators administrate, and clinicians, er clinic.....err ....treat their patients.   As in any profession, as you correctly stated, there are good and bad.

Oh I believe that is what I said umpteen posts ago.

Still it's nice to know that we all agree and that you all agree that I said it first. Not that I have a chip on my shoulder about always being right or anything.

• Like 2
  • Funny 11