The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Foggy (not raining, not breezy) again today. From my morning walk today.  Not quite the Tawar-in-Drúedain but atmospheric - much more so in the fog. 

image.png

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

The trees are Douglas Fir. Named for David Douglas - a Scottish botanist from Scone.  A Portland High School is also named for him.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A little while ago there was a discussion about SYD - MEL being a busy air route. It's still in the top 10 but not close to number one.

CNN: The world’s busiest flight routes for 2023

KUL-SIN is the busiest international flight. The only European (region)/US airport to make the top 10 is LHR-JFK.

It's a bit like shipping, when you look at stats for trade flows it rams home changes in the global economy and trade over our lifetimes. 

In Singapore,  I think most people view Changi Airport as a hub for Singapore Airlines and one of the key waypoints for routes to Australia, but the 'big three' routes are Singapore to KL, Jakarta and Bangkok.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sounds are coming from the kitchen, I think  I’d better make an appearance, sprouts don’t peal themselves!

Sprouts don't appeal.... 🤪

Enjoy!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I slept well last night although Arthur Itis and Si Attica seem to be waiting to pounce. I haven't been out to check as to whether the chimney cowl is from my chimney or not but there is a noise coming from next doors attic. It sounds like water dripping onto a wooden board but is very regular, about 2.5 seconds between 'drips'. It's certainly not in my attic because the boiler and pipework (and the chimney) are at the other end of the attic. All the houses in the terrace are 'handed' the same so their boiler and pipework + chimney is on the other side of the dividing wall. I'll have a word with the tenants when I go out later and ask them to contact their landlord.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Well that's not a bad start.  The Boss cooked breakfast and then asked nicely if I "wouldn't mind assisting with the housework" so the ablutions have been cleaned and the house has been Sharked.  I have been released from duties and it has been suggested that I take myself off to The Shed for a while.   Don't mind if I do....after a muggatea.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, wet and cloudy start to the day here in the northwest corner of England, but thankfully the wind has stopped blowing, but according to the sea weed twirlers, there may be a chance of more later. There’s not a lot planned for today, Sheila is busy getting the house cleaned, why I’m not sure as it’s just the two of us tomorrow, but then what do I know? So, I’m going spend the day pottering about doing nothing in particular, unless requested otherwise. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Christmas dinner, or part of it, has been removed from the freezer to the fridge to defrost. Defrosted too quickly the ice as it melts leaves some meats waterlogged. Once drained off the water/blood mix makes a good basis for the gravy. Today's lunch will be egg and chips, I have plenty of eggs and some of them have to be used soon. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Christmas Dinner eaten!

What's that I hear you say, but it's Christmas Eve, you can't have Christmas Dinner before Christmas Day, well you can in the Woodenhead household 😁

Big chicken and all the trimmings last night, the remains will be a curry tomorrow and now I can simply relax for the next 3 days.

Another benefit of doing it early and I was reminded of this on Thursday when some freshly purchased mince had to go straight back to Aldi - that you cannot fix a dodgy bird on Christmas day but you can on any other day.

And as we all celebrate Christmas in our own ways, I read this today and it's a reminder that things used to be a lot worse for people, life wasn't better in the past https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67809153

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

Tragically, I must report that my Christmas has been ruined!

Against all professional advice, Mrs iD has decided we WILL have turkey and sadly all I can do ameliorate the situation is to cook a turkey breast sous-vide and serve it with steamed mini-zucchini and carrots, a potato dish of some kind (probably Pommels Dauphinoise) a fortified white onion sauce (hurrah for VSOP brandy say I) and stuffing.

Fortunately, Christmas Day will not be completely grim:! Brussels Sprouts are conspicuous by their absence and for pudding we have a proper Christmas Pud and “skoolboy” custard. Plus, in the evening when Mrs iD is getting her gnashers into the inevitable cold turkey and stuffing sandwiches, I have some blini, a tin of caviar (plus traditional accompaniments) and a rather decent Polish vodka to enjoy.

I have been trying for years to have Mrs iD forego Christmas for Saturnalia (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia) but she’s being unreasonably resistant to change. 

I mean, really!, who would prefer to eat a dry, tasteless turkey with the less desirable elements of the family over roasted pig and sausages, winter root vegetables fried in oil, fresh fruits, nuts and all sorts of drinks (and plenty of them) and, of course, the cavorting.

There’s just no helping some people!

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Tragically, I must report that my Christmas has been ruined!

Against all professional advice, Mrs iD has decided we WILL have turkey and sadly all I can do ameliorate the situation is to cook a turkey breast sous-vide and serve it with steamed mini-zucchini and carrots, a potato dish of some kind (probably Pommels Dauphinoise) a fortified white onion sauce (hurrah for VSOP brandy say I) and stuffing.

Fortunately, Christmas Day will not be completely grim:! Brussels Sprouts are conspicuous by their absence and for pudding we have a proper Christmas Pud and “skoolboy” custard. Plus, in the evening when Mrs iD is getting her gnashers into the inevitable cold turkey and stuffing sandwiches, I have some blini, a tin of caviar (plus traditional accompaniments) and a rather decent Polish vodka to enjoy.

I have been trying for years to have Mrs iD forego Christmas for Saturnalia (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia) but she’s being unreasonably resistant to change. 

I mean, really!, who would prefer to eat a dry, tasteless turkey with the less desirable elements of the family over roasted pig and sausages, winter root vegetables fried in oil, fresh fruits, nuts and all sorts of drinks (and plenty of them) and, of course, the cavorting.

There’s just no helping some people!

I feel for you @iL Dottore I have the luxury of having whatever I like for Christmas dinner. My choice is venison, (if you don't mind eating Rudolph). A lot healthier than the interbred monstrosities the mother nature would not allow to exist. The venison I eat comes from culling wild herds but has to travel down from Scotland. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

decided we WILL have turkey

I would be perfectly happy with egg and chips on Christmas Day but Aditi does like the turkey based meal with as many accompaniments both pork product and vegetable that will sit on the plate.  We will vacuum pack and freeze any surplus. You could also do that, and MrsID could enjoy turkey at other times of the year too. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We are just about to have venison sausage sandwiches also probably Bambi. Tomorrow be

I've been told that it's beef but as mother and daughter are doing the cooking I am redundant. All being well there will be railway books to read. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17