The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, that's interesting Robert! I never really thought of Sri Lankans as mathematicians before, but then I've never met one so that could be why!

The lecturer we have is actually pretty good and does explain everything. However, I just feel that perhaps he could be a bit more enthusiastic or more inspiring as it is a bit of a bore at the moment.

I know I certainly can't do maths sums in my head - even simple ones I really struggle with. I guess we all have different skill sets! I'm actually doing OK in the maths lecture today. I'm managing to answer the questions so far...

There is a test on I think the 13th December which I am worried about, but I guess all I can do is revise and ask for help if I get stuck. I'm not one for easily admitting defeat, but also, I'm not one for asking for help either.

I forget what course you are doing - so I am not sure what sort of Maths you will need. However, don't be afraid of asking for help! This is one of the most important things you will learn at Uni.

I read Electronic Engineering - My Maths wasn't hot, but where computing/ programming was concerned I was better than many of the others in my year. I used to help the guys out with the computing stuff, and they'd help me out with the Maths. Find someone in your group who is good at Maths, and do some skill swapping!

• RMweb Gold

I'm studying product design - so that's all to do with vectors & scalars, tensile stress/strain, equations, moments and forces, shear force and bending/stretching.

If I was any good at my AS Physics it would help here, but I still remember parts of it, particularly in scalars and vectors. Today we had to work out the 2nd moment area of composite bodies. Sounds absolutely horrific, but actually is fairly straightforward when you get past the name!

I think the name and symbols they give in maths is the thing that often throws me and leaves me confused. I'm getting better though.

It's a good tip about exchanging skills though, thanks Robert.

• RMweb Gold

Jam said:

I really need to try and create some sort of timetable to organise myself to try and stop lazing around when I should be doing something productive.

I say:

+1 on that - if you create a good one let me know I'm too lazy to do it myself....

• RMweb Gold

The good old days when men were men who went out to work making stuff.

Until just before I was born my mother worked in a factory! Actually my Dad worked there as well, they met after he sorted out her pay grade, he was the Shop Steward. When my brother and I were sorting out my Mum's stuff after she died we found the note Dad had written to her (on the back of a "Meteorite" quality control card) asking her out. Sounds like the plot of one of those Soviet worker operas!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Sky box up and running again. Fault code 06-0 indicates a fault with the HDD. Having taken a hammer to it this afternoon, it is certainly duff now. Fitted a 500mb drive this afternoon and now all working perfectly. Just wish Sky could have told me that.....

Edit: Just realised I've been missing for two pages, so some catching up to do...

Edited by gordon s

Evenin' all...........Just had fresh-off-the-tree banana, we buy a bunch (about a dozen or so) some get eaten, some get made into banana bread, some just ripen to quick and drop straight into the bin.......unless they miss.

Yes the smell of good old industrial Britain, if the cloud base was low you could smell Stewartby brickworks (near Bedford) about 30 miles south! And the "aroma" of the cellophane factory in Bridgewater........I could (but wont ) go on........but I guess some one else will?

Trev

• RMweb Gold

The tannery in Canterbury (early 1970s) used to have rather an interesting aroma. For a few years Pitsea Tip was not particularly pleasant when the wind came from the west.

I was once the senior teacher (ie I'd just passed my probationary year) on a school trip to Chessington Zoo. The traffic caused the coach to be delayed outside a brewery in South London. Some of the children started being affected by the smell and reacted by retching. I do remember when being asked to organise another trip requesting parents to supply their child with plastic bags without drainage holes.

Morning all, still pitch black out there...........so no idea on the weather yet. Got an early meeting to attend. So just now waiting for the driver (and its a two hour drive in heavy traffic)

Ah yes school coach trips, and plastic bags, are the schools still allowed to run them?

Trev.