The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Craghopers can be bought at very reasonable prices from their shops/ on line.

Problem I have is... they stopped doing fleece-lined trousers.. they are wind and waterproof still.

Baz

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The day has slowly improved since just before lunch, thank goodness.  I had a nice ham salad for lunch with a mousse for dessert so I was not overfull.  I am not diabetic but I do know when I have eaten too much sugar over a few days, too many sweets and cakes recently. 

Then I decided to do the rest of the jobs I hadn't done during the morning.  That entailed a trip to Morrisons to pick up a few things I couldn't find in Lidl, there will be no online shopping order for next week and probably no shopping at all.  I took the opportunity to buy a few basics to top up stocks as well.  Whilst walking round I found a CD I actually wanted, so that was bought along with a photographic magazine and a motoring magazine - printed copies are my Christmas treat, usually I look at such things using Readly which I find to be less pleasurable.  There were big queues but they were moving quickly, helped by staff directing people to the shortest lines, for a change I used a self service checkout which for some reason would only take cash which suited me today.  When I reached the front of the queue I was actually asked whether I preferred a till which could take cash or a card only one.

I moved the car into the town car park from Morrisons, i.e. across the road and went into the locksmith to get a spare front door key cut as the two neighbours who have a spare key in case I am ever suddenly ill or lose my key are both away and I had forgotten to get a key back to give to someone else.  We are all happy to do things like that round here.  That took just over 5 minutes, while I was there I arranged for them to replace the lock on the back door which is just starting to get stiff even after cleaning and treating with grease/oil.  It will be done in the New Year.  It is as well I am having it done, you can no longer get the style of key.  They are a local firm of locksmiths and safe installers with a good reputation, they also have a useful range of hardware at good prices.

Back home I managed to fit everything into the fridge and freezer and then had a good tidy up.  After tea I will wrap a few presents - the ones bought using some money a relative gave me plus some of my own wants.  I always like a few books and model items of my own choosing to have at Christmas and living alone I can indulge myself.

Then it will once again be TV, reading and music with an early night after last night's lack of sleep.

About trousers - I wear Craghoppers Kiwis almost all the time, I find them comfortable and hard wearing.  I usually manage to buy them in their sales on in local shops which do discounts.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Barry O said:

For some reason these never appear in the shop on the M62 near Casfegas..pah!

Baz

I was a bit worried for a moment that the ones I had recently  were like “The Emperors New Clothes” . 

• Like 4
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The boy and I went to Duxford today, splendid museum which is still pretty much what it has always been (which is good). The only disappointment/worrying thing is they seem to be changing the land warfare gallery and plonking their ground collection around the museum. I have always liked the lang warfare gallery, which presents the various land exhibits extremely well. I really don't think mixing the aviation and land exhibits makes much sense, they're two separate and distinct collections and it makes sense to treat them as such. Some aviation enthusiasts probably have limited interest in the land exhibits (other than aviation related stuff) and I daresay some visit the museum primarily to see the land stuff. The land warfare gallery used to exist as pretty much a standalone museum within the site, and was well worth making the effort to visit in its own right. However, given what might have happened to Duxford (cough....national maritime museum...cough) I shouldn't complain and it's still a tremendous museum.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Having done most of the shopping for the next six days yesterday, we ventured out today to Asda for a roulade but they were out of stock so we got a cheap Eton mess instead and ended up in Aldi where more sweet stuff was purchased.

This might be a sugary Christmas weekend haha

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis and sciatica have been doing their worse so nothing much got done today, I blame it on the weather. It looks as though I will have to brave Tess Coes tomorrow as I can't find a few items that I need for preparing Christmas dinner such as Oxo cubes. They are somewhere so no doubt I will find them as soon as I return from Tess Coes.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Bread and milk was my final shop on the way back from the MRC, we have everything else we need.

The curator of the American Air Museum at Duxford was until recently at the RAF Radar Museum.

Evening Awl,

Just back from the MRC, only two of us there tonight. I had quite productive evening rebuilding houses.

On leaving it was horizontal drizzle time.

Muggachoccy gone, but I'm off to update an unmentionable thread.

• Like 18

Well that  was a pleasant Christmas surprise!

Regular readers of my drivel will know that I have acted semi-professionally and that one of my favourite roles was that of a perverted murderer (playing villains is so much fun!). This character was one of six complex and disturbing characters in a challenging play that was staged back in 2019. At the time the production team was thinking about taking on tour (we were also thinking about performing it in both English and German [alternate performances]) - but the pandemic put paid to that!

Well, today I was contacted by the production team who are thinking of reviving the play, giving it a bit of spruce-up and putting it on again - possibly even taking it on tour. Would I be interested?

Do @polybears you-know-what in the woods?

A revival and taking it on tour. Now that would be fun!

A second career awaits, perhaps?

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Pedant mode on. The answer is no, @polybear's don't live in the woods as there are no trees in the Arctic.

But the way things are going in the Arctic, there soon will be, and the Polybears will have to reskill....

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Once I’d got the cake in the oven, I made a start on Sheila’s jewellery, it took me well over an hour to clean all, I think she bought the entire contents of her jewellery box! Whilst I was in the middle of this task, the postie (who always where’s shorts!) delivered the latest copy of BRM, but I’ve not had chance to have a look through it yet. 

Charlie was late get her this afternoon, but we had a good session in the workshop, he continued working on one of his many kits, whilst I started making a jig for hold the rails when building points. 

The evening was spent sorting out and bagging everyone’s Christmas presents, as I usually told that I get in the way, so I decamped to the kitchen and prepared the veggies for tomorrow night’s tea, a vegetarian lasagna, which will save me quite a bit of time tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull but dry here.   Should stay dry and breezy with a mix of variable cloud and some bright spells.  10°C rising to 12°C.

Great night had with friends and I eventually got to bed about 01.45.

It's alreadytimetogettamoveon and have some breakfast as Sainsbury's are due in about an hour with a large order.

Have a good one, 

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

with a large order.

We aren’t have any visitors over Christmas and I checked the delivery email just to see what will be missing.The order was somewhat larger than usual. Even with all this delivery we are going to visit Waitrose this afternoon. Aditi had ordered some presents from M&S for friends and the order has just been “ready for despatch” for days. So she re ordered from John Lewis for collection from Waitrose today. I think I had better drive, so Aditi can go in the store while I search Leigh on Sea for somewhere to park! 
Tony

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

UK cut off once more last night, you  folk must be getting worried, with the shortage of kippers.

I thought the Breakfast Table was slightly denuded this morning....  🤪

The usually unreliable BBC Weather App claims that the current windiness is going to pause by about mid-day, will make a brief comeback around mid-day tomorrow and will have another go on the evening of Christmas Day.  It might be mid-week before Kipper Supplies are restored...

Here, Sprouts are 15p a pound for the improvident who neglected to start boiling back in September...  Needless to say, I haven't bought any!

Edited by Hroth
Sprout News
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2