The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

but not taking statins for the sake of it - which is what they tell me they 'recommend' now, for all diabetics to take them as a matter of course - really?  The term bolleaux come to mind.

Yeah, as a Type 1 it has been like that for years (well, for over 50s). As you say, bolleaux.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went out and finished off the Christmas food shopping this morning. As I went out I noticed that they hadn't collected the recycling sacks so I swiftly put mine out for collection. It was still there when I came back but half an hour later it was emptied so I quickly retrieved it before it blew away. I must have been seeing things when I said that the tyre on my car was deflating as upon checking it appeared to be normal. Just as well as the sciatica is starting again, all I did was reach for the remote, co-codamol has been taken.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Yeah, as a Type 1 it has been like that for years (well, for over 50s). As you say, bolleaux.

Forgot to add that I tried them, experienced my bad leg starting to fold up while in the supermarket - fortunately I was able to steady myself on a shelf. After discussion with my GP I reduced the amount, then stopped them and raised an adverse reaction report with the nhs. Ther were was another side effect which I have forgotten about, maybe the statins were what started by ongoing sleep problems, not sure. I will not be taking any again. That would be 17 or 18 years ago. But my diabetes consultant again mentioned them when I saw him earlier this year.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Forgot to add that I tried them, experienced my bad leg starting to fold up while in the supermarket - fortunately I was able to steady myself on a shelf. After discussion with my GP I reduced the amount, then stopped them and raised an adverse reaction report with the nhs. Ther were was another side effect which I have forgotten about, maybe the statins were what started by ongoing sleep problems, not sure. I will not be taking any again. That would be 17 or 18 years ago. But my diabetes consultant again mentioned them when I saw him earlier this year.

A close friend reported much the same, with subsequent muscle damage.  I need to improve my cholesterol a little, but it's not silly high.  I will do this by diet (edit - and more exercise), not statins.

PS - well over 50, and halfway over 60!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, southern42 said:

Love the way the flute plays itself!

When not hamming it up for ToTP, Ian Anderson could play a mean flute...

This flute-dominated instrumental, based on Bach's 'Suite in E Minor for Lute', was a track on Jethro Tull's excellent 'Stand Up' (1969). Personnel: Ian Anderson (flute, vocals), Martin Barre (guitars), Glenn Cornick (bass), Clive Bunker (drums) Composer: J.S. Bach (arr. Ian Anderson)

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Stattins are loved by NICE, The drug companies and.. the acolytes. They can have weird side affects and are not as good as they are made out to be. None for me thank you!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Statins aren't a homogeneous class of drugs. There are 8 different types of statins on the market, each with a slightly different chemical structure, the newer (and more expensive) versions tend to have fewer adverse events associated with them. One of the worst for side effects is also one of the cheapest (and guess which ones NICE and the NHS favour???)

Additionally, there are new cholesterol lowering drugs with different mechanisms of action (and thus different adverse events) such as the PCSK9 inhibitors, (e.g. alirocumab and evolocumab), but they are relatively new and expensive injectables. They are now available on prescription and clinical trials show that they can lower LDL by up to 50-60%. The problem will be getting the local health wallahs to approve the expenditure.

As with any drug you have to consider the risk-benefit ratio before prescribing - and for some patients the risk of statin related AEs is outweighed by the reduction (and consequent clinical benefit) of reducing sky high LDL levels.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 10

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Still windy here, it was hard working getting to and from the car.  The wreath had blown off the church door.

The clouds I saw this morning are apparently called iridescent clouds, caused by ice crystals or water droplets when the sun strikes them at the correct angle.  

sIMG_9998Blyth.jpg.c744e76214e73bf40db2aed391e6b58c.jpg

sIMG_9999Blyth.jpg.718ad8863da4092946235d5a4cb8fd59.jpg

David

Superb!

there are similar pictures on the BBC where they are referred to as Mother-of-Pearl clouds

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

But otherwise, my world is dominated by the people that I meet every day who, contrary to the horrific image of the world that is presented through the media, are almost universally kind, interesting and decent.

When people actually meet they tend to react to eachother as human beings and leave tribal stuff at the door. And indeed, psychopathic nutjobs are very much the exception. Yet the media and politicians love to inflate differences, made much worse by search engine and social media algorithms that use search and browsing history to prioritise results and lead us into an echo-chamber of confirmation bias. Many really believe they hate large swathes of humankind never having met or interacted with any of those they hate. 

Another thing politicians and the media are terrible for is creating an idea that many people are stupid. There's a culture now that if people don't share views on political or social issues they are either stupid or evil. Just as few are evil so I find very few people I meet to be stupid. They may not have impressive credentials, may struggle to articulate ideas and such like but people are generally pretty perceptive and have well developed senses to identify bovine excrement.,

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All

Main thing to report is that I've managed to track down a certain Bear, who has been rather low profile of late,  to his lair.     

Unfortunately that big black dog has been baring its teeth and growling a lot but hopefully he'll have the better of it once the next few days are past.    

In the meantime I'll keep an eye out 👍

I hope @tigerburnie and other ER's who have been MIA for a while now are all OK 🤞

ION

I attended a most interesting lecture at the Shuttleworth Collection today given by Dodge Bailey, formerly the Collection's Chief Pilot.     It fell to him to get the beautiful DH88 Comet flying from Old Warden after the initial first flight from and back into OW some years previously ended in a minor disaster when the "not-very-strong" starboard undercarriage collapsed on landing.   The DH88 was designed for one thing and one thing only; to win the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race to Australia and minor details such as  getting off of and back onto the ground safely were largely ignored.  As Dodge said; "That little detail was left for the pilot to sort out".     The lecture provided an interesting insight into some of the technicalities & characteristics of the aeroplane, some of the analytical work done by a couple of PhD students at Cranfield on the undercarriage and the aeroplane's aerodynamics and some of the practicalities of operating it safely accompanied by some nice pilot's eye view cockpit videos of all of the critical stages of flight (that's most of it then!)

A superbly efficient aeroplane, tricky to get on and off the ground and one that is ready to bite and bite hard if you get anywhere close to the edge of its envelope.   Oh yes and utterly beautiful from all angles whether it's on the ground or in the air.

The 1.5 hour lecture was free to attend and was absolutely packed.     It was great to experience some of the "old Shuttleworth atmosphere" (which would have been helped greatly by not having to pay ~£20 just to pass the entry gate) now sanity has returned to the admission policy.       An interesting way to spend an hour or so on a wet & windy Thursday morning was I thought worthy of a reasonably large donation of the folding stuff into the SVAS* collection bucket.   I do hope many of the other 80-100 attendees thought so too.

*  Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society ....... effectively the Collection's "Friends of" organisation that primarily raises funds to support the Collection.

TTFN

Good to hear about PB. As a fellow suffer of the BD I was concerned when he went of piste as I know it can be a tenacious beastie to get back in it's kennel. Will keep thinking positive thoughts and thanks for making the effort to  get in touch with him.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was happily getting on with a few things this afternoon and then the sciatica kicked in and I do mean kicked. I had to struggle upstairs to lay stretched out on the bed for the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully that and the co-codamol will sort it out.

• Friendly/supportive 18