The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Tomorrow (today in some parts of the RMWeb) I shall be 77. 

Seventy-Seven? 

Gosh, you ARE a big grown-up boy now, aren’t you! 😁 (but still young enough for presents, I hope)

Carpe Diem, as they say and be splendiferously self-indulgent!

Happy Birthday!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and a very Happy Birthday to David.

Still quite dull and the sky has a pink tinge but it is dry at the moment. There might be some early sunny spells but it will be mainly cloudy and breezy with a chance of the odd spot of rain.  5°C rising to 10°C.

Toys arrived safely yesterday and look rather nice.  These were handed over by the DPD driver who took a photo of the parcel in my hands.  Hopefully I'll get to play with them today but a few other things are on the agenda aka The Boss's List.

We are expecting Amazon parcels but these contain alcoholic beverages so must be handed over to the recipient and age verification requested and possibly proof of same.  In the past they've just asked for year of birth and entered that into their device.  If I've ordered anything expensive then I make sure I'm here to receive it and we frequently get asked by neighbours and couriers to take stuff in as we're probably in more than most.* This week we could end up looking like a small warehouse facility!

Time for some breakfast and then I'llhavetogettamoveon.

Have a good one,

Bob.

*There are one or two other neighbours available who are in more than us but they are miserable old sods who won't give you the time of day or even bid you Good Morning.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Happy Birthday @BR60103 Will there be 🎂 today?

Last club night of the year yesterday and my two new-to-me carriages ran excellently behind the 4F. Joining a local club has proved to be a good move and a nice complement to the RMWeb chatter.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Busy day coming up today.  Hoovering, floor mopping (where appropriate) bread buns purchasing.. 

Watched the T20 cricket last n8ght. Some verybpowerful hitting from both teams. Fielding was good but one or two bowlers need to have avthink about where they try to bowl.

Her indoors was late getting back from recorders last night so latish to bed.. 8.5 hours later.. I woke up for a trip to the little boys room. Amega sleep for me!

Time to.. drink tea, have breakfast, set to with the shark.

@Erichill16I hope the invaders are caught and haven't caused too much damage.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:
20 hours ago, Hroth said:

The ferry company probably doesn't want another Ellan Vannin

Indeed not, but to listen to the whiners on Faceache, you would think they want one.  Of course if they were actually on board in weather (as opposed to riding it out on their keyboards) they'd be the first calling for Huey.  Much to the amusement of the sea going folk. 😁

The only occasions upon which I have been out of sight of land on the world’s seas have been during fog or hours of darkness.  The longest crossing to date has been the humble (but lumpy) Ardrossan - Brodick run.

I have been aboard for longer periods of time but only as a cruise (PS Waverley on a Tower Pier - Thames Estuary “paddlex”) or when making way parallel to the coast (CalMac’s lamented former Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh run which did at least require us to be locked below for safety in very rough conditions) 

I have never, quite reasonably, become seasick - nor airsick despite having flown far more air miles than most folk ever manage. One does not invoke Huey on the Gosport Ferry across Portsmouth Harbour. Unless one has first had a considerable excess of alcoholic beverages. 

Huey. The Deity of All Things. “Put ‘em up, Huey” is the cry of the surfer. “Send it down, Huey” that of the farmer upon seeing a cloud after months of drought. 

According to the movie version of Port Isaac’s Fisherman’s Friends eating orange segments while feeling queasy on (in their case) a small wave-rolled inshore fishing boat won’t help. “But it will make it sweeter when it comes up”. 

I look forward to my first encounter with le Mal de Mer. Not.  The Silly Onion, aka Scillonian III, is unstabilised and famed for emptying the stomachs of passengers as she meets the turbulent confluence of Atlantic Ocean, Celtic Sea and English Channel between Penzance and St Marys.  We have yet to visit those islands but there is little excuse now. Watch this space once sailings resume in the Spring. 

Edited by Gwiwer
Stuff
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, and a HB to 60103.

As for amusing singers - Fascinating Aida, but there is a severe bad language warning on some.  They look like such sweet middle aged ladies too.

Windy here, ferries off again, and may be until after C**&%£"s - oh dear, panic time.  We'll all starve, etc.  Maybe some folk will break into the baked bean and bog roll mine they still have in their lofts, after covid.

Favourite of mine as well Neil. Cheap flights. Dogging - well Neil did warn you.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday BR60103 and may there be many more of them.

Sea sickness.  Fortunately it doesn't usually bother me, I got used to small boats when sailing from about the age of 8 and have never felt sick in them.  I remember one trip back from the Isle of Man after a field trip as a student in 1970, it was quite rough.  A group of us were having coffee in the restaurant which was almost deserted when suddenly the ship rolled even more and everything on the serving counter ended up on the deck.  Fortunately we had all picked our coffee mugs up as the roll started.  Coming back from Denmark I once felt a litle bit queasy on the Winston Churchill but managed a good breakfast and then felt fine, but there were no other passengers about.  We were a bit delayed getting into the Tyne that day.

Now for today.  I woke at about 02.30 having dreamt that there was a loud noise.  While lying awake there were several more loud noises of metal on metal.  It was windy so it may have been things falling over outside or it may have been something at the harbour.  After a while the noises stopped and I went back to sleep.

It's dull and a bit or rain is forecast, I'm pleased I went out yesterday not today.  Shortly I need to go and post a card to someone who didn't send one last year but has this Christmas, there are also letters to post.  Then I need to put things away in the kitchen to make more space on the benchtops for doing things woith food, there are a number of plants in the way right now so they need new homes.

I will also write write an e mail to a friend in Canada with some photos attached.

The there might be time for modelling or I may watch an old film.

David

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say it was nice to be met by a very welcoming and friendly immigration officer at Heathrow. I go to some countries where immigration officers are so abrasive and unhelpful that it puts me off ever going to the countries unless I have no choice and sadly have encountered similar people at UK airports on occasion. I know they have an important job and deal with stressful situations and are at the receiving end of abusive customers when they don't have the right documentation but even so some should probably think about a life change if they hate people and the world that much. Last night the people on duty were a credit to Britain, helpful, friendly and very good humoured. We were sent to the family line as my wife has a foreign passport not allowed to use the auto gates and it took no time to get through. He joked to my wife about why she didn't have a British passport as she'd been here long enough and gave a gentle reminder to make sure she visits every two years to keep her permanent leave to remain now we're in Singapore. 

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

It's good to be back in the land of good food, I hesitate to say this as it may give some people nightmares, but you can't get pickled onion monster munch, XL cheese crisps or Fry's raspberry creme bars in Singapore. It's a bleak and desolate place.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We both enjoyed an extended sleep this morning,  it we’re now both up, wide eyed and bushy tailed and ready for what the day brings. That is mainly some light domestic jobs, such as moving re-hanging paintings etc. 

Happy birthday David 

Back later.

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

10 years ago today, I spotted you across that crowded caryard, and knew right away that you were the one for me.

Happy Anniversary, ute-iful you!!

IMAG0670.jpg.08cb10144b9d8b4e1aed23288bc0b0a9.jpg

Gosh!

A banana-car! 

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1