The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

While The Boss is away Bobby will play.  I have just taken it upon myself to delve into this week's Sainsbury online order and make a couple of small additions.  She'll never know....well not until it turns up on Saturday.  🙃😂

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

An email arrived in my inbox 23:10 last night from the Reykjavik Grapevine magazine. https://grapevine.is/news/2023/12/18/eruption-has-begun-at-sundhnukagigar/

At the same time utoob was filling up with Icelandic eruption videos.

Close up view of the eruption near Grindavik in Iceland.

Back later, loadsastuff to geronwiv

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

While The Boss is away Bobby will play.  I have just taken it upon myself to delve into this week's Sainsbury online order and make a couple of small additions.  She'll never know....well not until it turns up on Saturday.  🙃😂

I assume the change of order acknowledgments don’t go to her phone!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A few rumbles from Arthur Itis last night but I still managed six hours sleep last night. I checked the long range forecast again this morning and its changed for Christmas day, the temperature will not take a dip after all so it will remain quite balmy all day, so no white Christmas. Today will be spent moving boxes around and with a bit of shopping this afternoon.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Lurker said:

The Icefields Parkway is magnificent- I have been lucky enough to do it twice, each time southwards. The first time was, like Tony, in sunshine and clear blue skies. Lake Louise had a marvellous early evening feel; it felt almost dreamlike. It was cloudy the second time but still dry, but still great views.

Lake Louise - I thought that sounded familiar and then found out why. Brother and wife have booked a three night stay at Skoki Lodge in September. No road access and so they have to walk about seven miles through the forest. When William and Kate were there, they arrived by Helicopter . . . . . .!

https://www.skoki.com/

https://www.skoki.com/articles/royal_couple_visits_skoki_lodge.php

https://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/2014020916892/kate-middleton-prince-william-holiday-ski-resort-canada-banff/

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Lake Louise - I thought that sounded familiar and then found out why. Brother and wife have booked a three night stay at Skoki Lodge in September. No road access and so they have to walk about seven miles through the forest. When William and Kate were there, they arrived by Helicopter . . . . . .!

https://www.skoki.com/

https://www.skoki.com/articles/royal_couple_visits_skoki_lodge.php

https://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/2014020916892/kate-middleton-prince-william-holiday-ski-resort-canada-banff/

Not long after he arrived in Calgary, Matthew and some friends went for a hike one weekend on the trails near Lake Louise. They were going to return the following the following weekend but the trail they wanted to walk on was closed. A bear had killed and eaten a dog (small terrier) that was off lead and irritating it. To protect the bears the path was closed. We visited Lake Louise with Matthew at the following Easter during a snowstorm. I think all the bears were asleep then. You did have to be aware of horse drawn sleighs on the lake path though. The chateau hotel was very welcoming at the end for a meal and drinks. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Here too - must be the same one then.

A toddle was toddled in town, mile and a half so not too bad by current standards, but no joy with the prescription.  Doesn't feel as windy in town, but it's not very nice out here in the sticks despite the appearance of the sun.

Given how often the ferries have been off, and likely to be so this week again looking at the weather fore-guess, this may become an issue.  Much criticism is thrown at the new boat regarding its suitability for the weather, by folk that soon forget the previous one (we still have it) was much the same, especially when new and the crew less experienced in handling it.  Oh and they had to fill some of the double bottoms with concrete because of stability issues.  All forgotten.  Also the fact that 'back in the day' the boat only went twice a week in winter - now we get two round trips a day 7/52.  Forgot that too.  Then they cry to 'bring back the side-loaders' - forgetting you couldn't get the big trucks on those....#sigh# Fraggles, the world's best moaners.  Hence Mona's Isle. (No not really).

The ferry company probably doesn't want another Ellan Vannin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvX3JIzT2A

Edited by Hroth
Link to the Spinners song, and redid malformed link, which was irritating me...
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

49 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

If you are lucky . 

Quite frankly, I don’t really blame the poor s**s. Instead of being waged and driving a company provided (fuelled and insured) delivery van, they are paid by the piece delivered and have to provide their own vehicle, fuel and insurance.

Definitely unlikely to encourage a “go the extra mile” customer service mindset.

I partly blame Amazon, but also the general public. “Cheap at Any Cost” seems to be the mantra - leading to Victorian sweatshop working conditions (for many) and the degradation of both brand name and quality by the rise of rebadged Chinese made items (the Chinese can make superb things, especially technology, but when they build down to a price, quality and reliability suffer). And this doesn’t include the very cheap made in PRC knockoffs: poor quality at best, downright dangerous at worst.

Perhaps I’m showing my age, but I’m definitely of the era of:

• Save up for something, no easy credit
  • Buy to last
  • Fix ‘n’ Repair (and if all else fails - recycle into something else)

I am also convinced that if we bought to last (and what we bought could be repairable) we would go along way to addressing many of the issues impacting on the environment.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps I’m showing my age, but I’m definitely of the era of:

• Save up for something, no easy credit
  • Buy to last
  • Fix ‘n’ Repair (and if all else fails - recycle into something else)

When we were first married we took advantage of the six months free credit offers available then. We knew we would have the income but didn’t have the cash to buy a cooker and a refrigerator. Aditi has inherited her family reluctance to pay interest. It isn’t a prohibition like Islamic belief, just a reluctance. Fortunately it didn’t seem to apply to mortgages. We did try to buy to last. We did save up for our first lounge furniture and it moved with us to this house. It was quite worn out but we were not going to replace until we found something we both liked. 
I do like repairing things. But now I tend to only do so when the item has been scheduled for replacement. Then I don’t feel bad if my repair breaks the item  beyond help. I was especially pleased with the Kenwood Chef (over 40years old remotoring ). That was a useful use of the internet and my toolbox. Without the internet and search engines I would never have found a company that made a conversion kit to put a new Kenwood motor and speed control into an old model. 
One thing I don’t mind not doing myself now are car repairs. I have over the years spent quite enough time in horrid weather fixing vehicles that we needed for work. Now I like a car that starts when it is supposed to, and someone else services. 
At one time I thought when I retired would like an older car to tinker with. Having a few years of cars that needed fixing soon changed that.  Model railways deal with any tendency to have something to sort out.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The SUN has come out!!!

It only stayed out for about an hour, then hid again.

Recently there's been a spell of "sharp" drizzle, and the BBC weather app is predicting strong winds over the next three days...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Aditi went to Brentwood to get her hair cut this afternoon. The cash only car park she usually uses was full so she had to go to the nearby multi storey, which has a “scan this notice QR code” system for payment. 
She returned home with some cakes though she said she had a silent “ow much” moment as two cakes from Gail’s Bakery came to £8. More expensive than Bettys in Yorkshire! We shared one and will have the other one tomorrow.

We may not be seeing MiL before Christmas. This weekend it seems she has a busy social schedule that doesn’t leave much opportunity for us to visit. 
Tony

• Like 17