The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Had a great time at the club last night running my locos. I took my new-to-me Jinty and 4F along with a selection of my dad's old locos. With my dad's ones, I'm mainly trying to get a feel for which ones need the most attention as they are all from the '80s.

All three locos in this video work well and I'm happy with my two new purchased. In particular, the DCC Jinty runs incredibly well. Definitely sold on this whole DCC thing and am happy with my decision to go DCC on my new Holcombe layout! Just need to choose a controller system to buy for it…

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A visit to the Drug Dealer, followed by a raid on the Co-op - another box of Mince Pies has been liberated "just in case".....

Buddy over the road is due to visit shortly - my first visitor for, er, longer than a Bear can remember.  I suspect the next big activity will be din dins time, followed by yet more 'plottin......

BG

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I woke up this morning to find it wasn’t raining AND there are patches of blue to be seen too! So, the picture framing can wait for a while and I’m going to plant out the bulbs we were given on Monday afternoon before the weather changes its mind. 

Back later n

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

Making mince pies before heading out to see Flying Scotsman. Got to finish my tea first though.

IMG_7012-web.jpeg.27ba45da900e34d4096e52024fee462d.jpeg

Showoff!  (your tick was for the mince pies, not the Flying Moneypit, I must emphasise)

I got a bag of "raw" cashew nuts from Aldi during the weekend. 6 minutes at 180 in the airfryer and I've got a dish of gorgeous smelling, crunchy roast nuts!

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yesterday was the day when we both found out we have (different) serious internal things going on. 

You haven’t been eating what PB normally eats by any chance? 🤣

Anyway, I hope it all gets sorted out soonest.

Good Luck

iD

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I got a bag of "raw" cashew nuts from Aldi during the weekend. 6 minutes at 180 in the airfryer and I've got a dish of gorgeous smelling, crunchy roast nuts!

Thats another use for an air fryer I hadn't thought of, I'll give it a try.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

All the talk of shipping reminds me I keep meaning to take pictures of the models we have in the office. I had better do it soon because there is talk of moving offices and they are the sort of thing that will get lost on the way, particularly as we sold the shipping company 3 1/2 years ago...!

I wonder what happens to such models when businesses change or close? There were quite a few coal merchants attached to railway goods yards  and quite often they had a large scale model wagon in their livery in the window. A few of the ship models have escaped to museums but I have seen few if any of the coal wagons saved.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats another use for an air fryer I hadn't thought of, I'll give it a try.

I sprinkle a literal pinch of salt over them before starting, and pop them out after 3 min to stir them about to ensure even browning. They're healthier than the bagged roast nuts as they're not swimming in salt!

The other thing is not to have them in arms reach while reading, otherwise you end up with none left without realising what you've done.  Which is what I did...

I'll have to get some more cashew nuts!

Edited by Hroth
update...
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Many a true word spoken in jest.  There are more men in prison because they upset a woman than for any other reason. 

Indeed,

Rudyard Kipling (sneered at and much maligned by the “wokerati”) had this to say:

WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,  

He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside. 
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail. 
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

The Victorian myth of the “loving and gentle female” is just that, a myth. History has shown that women can be a lot, lot nastier and evil than men. Even in everyday life Women tend to be a lot nastier than men. Whilst a man might say to friends that XXX is a plonker and leave it there; women will often enjoy a bit of light character assassination before getting down to the serious business of making Ms XXX’s life a misery….(The Devil Wears Prada was definitely a documentary….)

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder what happens to such models when businesses change or close? There were quite a few coal merchants attached to railway goods yards  and quite often they had a large scale model wagon in their livery in the window. A few of the ship models have escaped to museums but I have seen few if any of the coal wagons saved.

Even the ones that found port in museums are less common nowadays, as they're "not relevant" to how museum curators think.

Once the models would be used to tell the story of shipbuilding, shipping lines and international trade.  Now the emphasis is on simplistic stories of the lives of labourers in shipyards and sailors at sea and the larger picture is swept away to accommodate this paradigm shift.

Edited by Hroth
A further thort
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Ouch - that's another thing I've forgotten.

I haven't sent Christmas cards for many years, several years before I retired it was agreed where I worked that Christmas cards would not be given. As most of my family have passed away and a good many friends likewise there are few now to send cards too.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

I haven't sent Christmas cards for many years, several years before I retired it was agreed where I worked that Christmas cards would not be given. As most of my family have passed away and a good many friends likewise there are few now to send cards too.

I had three local and three postal christmas cards to send this year, posted the postals on Saturday and winced at the cost of three 2nd class stamps.  I then winced in sympathy as the customer who was after me, requested 37 christmas (2nd class) stamps...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed,

Rudyard Kipling (sneered at and much maligned by the “wokerati”) had this to say:

WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,  

He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside. 
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail. 
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

The Victorian myth of the “loving and gentle female” is just that, a myth. History has shown that women can be a lot, lot nastier and evil than men. Even in everyday life Women tend to be a lot nastier than men. Whilst a man might say to friends that XXX is a plonker and leave it there; women will often enjoy a bit of light character assassination before getting down to the serious business of making Ms XXX’s life a misery….(The Devil Wears Prada was definitely a documentary….)

The joke here is that husbands are foreign ministers, allowed to feel important outside the home.

Much of SE Asia had matriarchal societies where although the man was head of the family it was the woman who ran the household. It amazes me so many people in Europe and the US see SE and East Asian women as meek and passive, Mrs JJB and the lots of women I know socially and professionally don't appear to have recieved that message🤪

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night last night with only one interruption from Arthur Itis who didn't like me laying on his favourite joint (left hip). 

24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I sprinkle a literal pinch of salt over them before starting, and pop them out after 3 min to stir them about to ensure even browning. They're healthier than the bagged roast nuts as they're not swimming in salt!

I will have them without salt. The reason is my blood pressure is very near and at times in the amber zone. The same with sugar, my blood glucose was once very near to type 2 diabetes so I cut down on sugar and sugary foods. That is the reason I don't like salted caramel which seams to be promoted quite heavily by food producers recently.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Completely agree with you about the fad for Salted "x" that seems to be popular with food manufacturers.  All the examples I've sampled have left me feeling nauseous after one bite, though its with salted sweet foods that the effect is most apparent...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Late here this morning, after breakfast I quickly got on with jobs before visiting Betty, the 98 year old who was Mum's neighbour.  She was in good form this morning, as alert as ever and we had an enjoyable chat for about 90 minutes - any longer and she gets tired.  When I arrived her son was just leaving as he'd been to drop something off for her, we exchanged Christmas cards.

Now I'm having a late coffee and planning the rest of the day.

As for flying I think my record is:

1954 Manchester Ringway (as it was then I think) to Dublin to my Uncle's wedding - I was about 5,

1963/4 Trips in a light aircraft belonging to a family friend over the Nottingham area.  I think it was an Auster.

1988 Newcastle - Heathrow - Zurich and return  for a holiday

1989 ditto

1997 ditto

2006 Newcastle - Nice and return to visit French friends.

My other European trips have been by car.

David

• Like 17