The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

"Rare solar storms could cause chaos on the UK's railways by triggering "powerful magnetic disturbances", scientists have warned.

A study at Lancaster University found the celestial events could disrupt the network's electrical systems and cause signals to switch from red to green"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-67681360

Maybe they'll realise that levers, pulleys and point rodding isn't so bad after all.......

I thought that too. However, such magnetic disturbances would also influence both telephone and block instrument systems too.  At least a signalman in a mechanical box can throw everything to danger, lay detonators and wait for things to come back online.

Another thought, its all very well worrying about signalling systems but the "disturbances" would also damage the control systems in locomotives...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah well.

Less apocalyptically, I've just put up my "christmas tree", so festive cheer may reign!

I also picked up the Christmas TV guide this morning, and at first glance there seems little of festive enjoyment on the box on ANY of the channels.

Bah.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... After support sessions today, looked out of the lab window to the west and there it was – Mordor. ...

One does not simply walk into Mordor, you have to go through Selfridges first…

(see photo on John’s blog)

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I also picked up the Christmas TV guide this morning, and at first glance there seems little of festive enjoyment on the box on ANY of the channels.

Just had a second glance.

I'd say that there are about EIGHT programmes (Christmas specials, films and so on) over the two week period covered by the guide that I'd record for later viewing.   There are a number of old films that I might watch if I'm around when they're on (Brief Encounter, the Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, Casablanca and a couple of others...), but its pretty much a desert otherwise.

Bah! H.......

I'm working my way up to it

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'd say that there are about EIGHT programmes (Christmas specials, films and so on) over the two week period covered by the guide that I'd record for later viewing.   There are a number of old films that I might watch if I'm around when they're on (Brief Encounter, the Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, Casablanca and a couple of others...), but its pretty much a desert otherwise.

Bah! H.......

Try youtube, loads of stuff on there, rarely watch television anymore these days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

Yet more of the same......

Bear's Thought for the Day:  Why won't Stratford Engine Shed Track Plan (1940) fit in 13' x 11'?

BG

Try Z gauge

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Bah! H.......

All is not lost.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12643691/The-Wombles-TV-return-Uncle-Bulgaria-wombling-free-Wimbledon-Common-modern-remake.html

...it does mention that most scary word "modernised" though.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The stollen cake that was supposed to last until Christmas has gone so I'll have to get another tomorrow. The rum and honey hot toddy last night worked a treat so it's the same tonight.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

All is not lost.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12643691/The-Wombles-TV-return-Uncle-Bulgaria-wombling-free-Wimbledon-Common-modern-remake.html

...it does mention that most scary word "modernised" though.......

Like the "modernised" Blyton Famous Five, with all inclusivity tick boxes well and truely ticked.

• Agree 9

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The stollen cake that was supposed to last until Christmas has gone so I'll have to get another tomorrow. The rum and honey hot toddy last night worked a treat so it's the same tonight.

You've been stealing cake?... Oh well, just nick another one then 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A morning of still battling that ^%$£ing bank to set up the savings account, the ID'ing website having decided we can no longer upload anything more, it has locked us out.   So I had to go to the branch, the one where they wouldn't set it up in person but do it on-line, and.....guess what, set it up there.....  Turdycurses were more than said.

On the way out I went for a walk around town to calm down before driving, and noticed the visibility was really good.  We can go weeks and not see the UK, but today the Lake District was really clear.  Shame I only had the crepe phone camera, my Lumix digital has died.

20231211_1238521.jpg.88fb7e49cc1ae9a04dbfe55d570267b1.jpg

I'd check those anchors if I were you. The definitely look as if there dragging. Looks as if you could wade across.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

Bear's Thought for the Day:  Why won't Stratford Engine Shed Track Plan (1940) fit in 13' x 11'?

BG

Have you thought about T gauge?

(I hadn’t seen 40F’s post above when I typed this, but the point still stands.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

BG

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa166.htm
The shed might but the surrounding track might need some alteration. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Despite the awful weather and traffic on the M60, we got to and then back from Ikea in one piece AND the bill at the till was only double figures, so that was definitely a win.
This afternoon I took advantage of the extra discount being offered by the box shifter in Widnes and ordered some stuff related to model railways. Theses have been placed in my ‘Trunk’ and I’ll take delivery at some point in the future. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Try youtube, loads of stuff on there, rarely watch television anymore these days.

The great thing about platforms like YT is they serve niche and micro-niche hobbies and interests that broadcast TV and the big streaming platforms either ignore or cover very occasionally. And although quality varies there are some superb creators and channels on YT. 

I never watch broadcast TV but I do enjoy some of the stuff on streaming platforms. I think 'The Expanse' on Prime was the best 'TV' scifi for many years, other Prime shows I loved include 'Hunters' (very violent and potty mouthed but compelling drama which blended very dark subject material with equally dark humour), 'Bosch' and 'Reacher'. Netflix has some good stuff too, over here we get a lot of Korean content on Netflix, some of which is superb. There's a wonderful series 'Crash landing on you', another great one which is part Police crime drama and part scifi-ish in playing with time is 'Signal'. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

BG

Selective compression is your friend try and fit half of it in your own space. Do you mean Stratford London or upon avon?

• Like 13

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

'Bosch' and 'Reacher'

Series 2 of 'Reacher' starts this week... Friday, maybe? Mrs Shed and I have agreed that we will pursue a policy of strict episode rationing to eke it out as long as possible. Loved the first series.

Also agree about Netflix Korean output - some excellent stuff there. I'm almost at the end of 'Rugal' and missing it already.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Fatchy pog here.. just in time for a trip to Rutland via Donnie Railway Station today Pah! Dr Eldest Herbert arrived here last night by train and bus from Didsbury. Youngest Herbert is taking him today and will collect my Big Sis on his way to the food.

Her indors was "reading" ar 4 am this morning and woke me up. She went back to sleep.. I didn't.. PAH!

Cricket indoor finals tonight so I just hope the weather clears up a bit and I can stay awake long enough to finish the games.

A man is coming to do some repairs today(at last we have been waiting since September.  Just hope he gets it all done!).

Tomorrow is cricket meeting prep for meetings on Thursday  and Friday PAH!

Time to make a mugatea before sorting out my clothing choice for today.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

Have you thought about T gauge?

(I hadn’t seen 40F’s post above when I typed this, but the point still stands.)

Have you seen the plan for Stratford (London) Shed @ 1940?

Imagine when you scribble a biro round n' round on a sheet of paper to get it working......now imagine that it is working, it's a sheet of A4 and you're still scribbling ten minutes later......that's Stratford.......

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa166.htm
The shed might but the surrounding track might need some alteration. 

Interesting site - thanks.

5 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Selective compression is your friend try and fit half of it in your own space. Do you mean Stratford London or upon avon?

The London one....

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2