The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Surely there are different pay rates for the same job within the US? That is prevalent in the Uk - some places especially London tend to be more expensive and command higher pay scales and so the work carried out is more expensive - I guess it is a vicious circle.

6 hours ago, pH said:

Overall, a very awkward situation. I’ve been on the “wrong” side of it where, within the same organization, the same work was being done in London and in the north of England at very different rates of pay. As you can imagine, that led to a certain degree  of unhappiness. There was no need for this, other than that staff doing the job in London had (of course) to be able to live there. This was many years ago - with modern communications, I would be very surprised if this situation is still the same. 

This was a bone of contention with local government and civil service salaries as the London weighting as it was called was separated into inner London and outer London rates. (Hourly paid workers got the same rate for the whole of London). This came to head with the abolition of the GLC as all GLC salaried staff were deemed that their place of work was at county hall in the inner zone even though their place of work was in outer London. When the GLC was abolished most of their staff were transferred to the outer boroughs though often working in the same space and at the same desk but receiving a larger salary than someone doing the same job for the same borough. It took a good ten years before the situation was settled and a common London weighting was awarded to all.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

....Nottaproblem that the Bear has ever noticed when cooking Pizza n' Curly Fries.....

Has Bear ever actually hosted a dinner party/had friends over for dinner?

Making a meal from fresh ingredients and serving that meal to friends, be it simple (cheese omelette with a spinach salad with bacon lardons and balsamic vinegar dressing) or complex (12 course Japanese Kaiseki dinner) is immensely satisfying. Especially when said friends are appreciative of good food and wine. Much merriment and joyfulness is to be had... 🙂

An "in-joke" with Mrs iD if she is doesn't like a proposed menu choice (e.g. black pudding and scallops), is to say "fine - here's the tin opener and here is a tin of ravioli". But that, in the grand scheme of things, is only going to DEFCON 4.  Perhaps, should I need to raise the level to DEFCON 2, I should say: "fine - here's a voucher for a frozen pizza,🤢 there's a microwave. Have fun". 😆

I reckon should I do that, Mrs iD would be ready to have "frank and open discussions" about dining options faster than you can say Treaty of Versailles.... 🤣

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

An "in-joke" with Mrs iD if she is doesn't like a proposed menu choice (e.g. black pudding and scallops), is to say "fine - here's the tin opener and here is a tin of ravioli". But that, in the grand scheme of things, is only going to DEFCON 4.  Perhaps, should I need to raise the level to DEFCON 2, I should say: "fine - here's a voucher for a frozen pizza,🤢 there's a microwave. Have fun".

It sounds as if Mrs iD would be happy with the @polybear cuisine?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Got here at last having spent the last hour reading, rating and answering posts here on ER's. No callouts from bladder control last night but Arthur Itis was having a go so when he did I took the opportunity to go to the bathroom. Bladder control will be busy this morning as I've just drunk my third muggatee. 😁

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Has Bear ever actually hosted a dinner party/had friends over for dinner?

Making a meal from fresh ingredients and serving that meal to friends, be it simple (cheese omelette with a spinach salad with bacon lardons and balsamic vinegar dressing) or complex (12 course Japanese Kaiseki dinner) is immensely satisfying. Especially when said friends are appreciative of good food and wine. Much merriment and joyfulness is to be had... 🙂

An "in-joke" with Mrs iD if she is doesn't like a proposed menu choice (e.g. black pudding and scallops), is to say "fine - here's the tin opener and here is a tin of ravioli". But that, in the grand scheme of things, is only going to DEFCON 4.  Perhaps, should I need to raise the level to DEFCON 2, I should say: "fine - here's a voucher for a frozen pizza,🤢 there's a microwave. Have fun". 😆

I reckon should I do that, Mrs iD would be ready to have "frank and open discussions" about dining options faster than you can say Treaty of Versailles.... 🤣

I only wish I could chef as well as you ID.  I am getting better at it though, largely helped by the modern cooking appliances such as microwaves and air fryers. They have one feature that goes a long way to making it easier, the timer. Before then if I wanted to cook a special meal I would end up with one part overcooked and one part undedone. Now I can prepare a meal and have every part of it ready and properly cooked. So its slow cooker for the meat, air fryer for the roast veg and microwave for the (parboiled/blanched) green veg. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

If I want to wind Mrs JJB up for a bit of harmless food related fun I wax lyrical on how wonderful Malaysian food like soto, rendang and laksa is, pull the pin and then step back very slowly.......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

I do not have an air fryer. I do not have a slow cooker. I have buried the microwave. Therefore I cook on the stove. From scratch. I use heat and eat stuff when I'm too knackered to stand and do it myself, as I soon get fed up with the sameness of the flavours or if doing it myself would results of too much food, since I'm on my own. Some of the stuff I cook needs improvement. I use fresh or frozen veg as appropriate as that way I can vary the diet beyond the seasonal.

End of phoodiephilosophy statement

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Storm Elin*, the Dalek** incarcerated in a corner of my back garden attempted to make a break for freedom last night.  Sadly it tripped and I found it rolling about, frustrated and angry.

Now that the rain has stopped, I may return it to its place.  Perhaps after lunch?  Muahahahaha!!!

* Apparently another fancy of the Irish meterological service.

** A conical composting bin.  I may decorate it with sink plungers, broom handles etc...

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A terrific stab at a typical early 50s British car

Just one very minor point.....

Your windscreen wiper blades seem slightly too long......   🤔

Not a problem , the printed ones are lacking window glass altogether .     😎

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On prices in Hawaii, it isn't helped by the fact that sea links between Hawaii and the rest of the USA are domestic and so have to be carried by coastwise qualified vessels as per the Jones Act, which inflates shipping rates. I've never seen a rational argument in favour of the Jones Act that holds water. It hasn't protected US shipbuilding or the US flag fleet. Actually, the US flag and crewing thing isn't such an issue, the killer is having to build ships in the US using US steel and equipment, that inflates new build costs massively to the point much of the coastwise qualified fleet is like a floating museum.

Isn't there some sort of monopoly as Matson seemed to be the only carriers that I saw.  They also controlled the freight go American Samoa. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Isn't there some sort of monopoly as Matson seemed to be the only carriers that I saw.  They also controlled the freight go American Samoa. 

Jamie

There's only a handful of coastwise qualified liner vessels, the two leaders are Matson and Crowley. Some of the routes are de-facto monopolies as the costs, barriers to entry and market make it difficult to support anything else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Sidecar Racer said:

Post war economics . ....

No wonder that by the end of the decade a politician would be able to claim that we'd "never had it so good".

BMC was able to sell cars with winscreens as standard, not an optional extra!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

On prices in Hawaii, it isn't helped by the fact that sea links between Hawaii and the rest of the USA are domestic and so have to be carried by coastwise qualified vessels as per the Jones Act, which inflates shipping rates

Similarly, if you are US military (or any federal employee I think), you have to travel on US carriers if available regardless of the cost. I dread to think what it does to the travel budget. On a few occasions, Uncle Sam funded my travel - the associated bureaucracy was simply horrific. If you want to make any US Serviceperson shudder, simply say “DTS” (Defence Travel System) and watch them quake.

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

There's only a handful of coastwise qualified liner vessels, the two leaders are Matson and Crowley. 

This explains why all the containers I saw in Alaska and Hawaii were Matson branded. I did wonder why they had a monopoly.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Choices to be made this afternoon, which film to watch on BBC. Chicken Run on BBC1 or The Titfield Thunderbolt on BBC2, both films though not on at exactly the same time overlap. Time to toss a coin.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1