The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all...

Our sky+ box gave up the ghost last night and as it is outside the warranty period,my options are limited. All the signs are an HD failure so it's out with the toolkit this morning to dismantle it and first try a complete check on the HD using Copy+ and a drive caddy. I have a new 500mb drive on order, but I'll try and fix this one first. Mrs S wasn't too pleased that all her recordings have gone, but at least iPlayer will help.

Managed to get another baseboard done yesterday, so hoping to start tracklaying next week.

My good mate has her mastectomy this morning. Puts everything else into perspective really.

Have a great Monday one and all.

Strewth, the bad news keeps on coming.

I really hope your friend copes with her treatment, Gordon.

I've found that making friends laugh in that situation helps a little, subject always to a shoulder and a ready tissue if needed.

In my all too comprehensive experience, my stricken friends have been the ones who provide the humour and make everyone feel a bit better.

I saw somewhere else that the go to first unread post has been disabled while Andy and the other techies try to get to the bottom of the slow performance.

Thanks Stewart, I should really read the notices... I knew some things had been disabled but didn't connect the two.

Gordon, best of luck to your friend for today's op.

So, Monday again, and another week of joy ahead at work... Roll on C********...

• RMweb Premium

Just wanted to add my best wishes for your friend as well, Gordon :unsure: .

I'm being the early bird for the morning's course again. However, since this does give me a completely free choice of seating plus additional time to refresh my knowledge of any reading that may have been required, I don't mind being here that early.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was foggy but is clearing now.

I'm not sure what I'll do today but Aditi informed me that she thinks today will be the last really dry day here this week and I should do something about the leaves which have finally fallen.

Pete, perhaps your Kingfisher beer had been due to arrive by Kingfisher Airlines. We don't go to Indian restaurants as Aditi doesn't really like them (too much chilli). If a Punjabi restaurant opened I'm sure we would go but then it would probably be unfavourably compared to her mother's cooking!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, I do hope your friend's op goes well.

I assume you have tried all the front panel resets on the Sky box. Sky used to do a repair or replace option for out of warranty failures. I'm not sure how well that compares with buying your own replacement drive though. The Sky box is the only thing I have a service contract on, it was certainly needed when we had the original Plus box. The HD box sems better but I bet it would fail if I cancelled the service contract.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Polishing shoes has never been one of my hobbies. When I was a child my father polished all the shoes every morning before he went to work. He claimed he enjoyed shoe polishing. Most of my footwear doesn't require polish now but if I did wear a pair of formal shoes I would clean them. Aditi would probably "remind" me. I don't think Aditi approved of my going out shopping wearing paint and plaster splattered clothing recently but I did explain that many of the people in Wickes would be similarly disguised.

Tony

Re: The motorbike accident:

"Out of a group of 100 typical motorcyclists in Wales, the statistical expectation is that one of this group will be killed or seriously injured in 19 months of driving"

The Welsh Assembly.

Since those figures were collated (2009), the numbers of motorbikes have increased by 33%.

What it doesn't mention is 'fault' or 'blame' - or the numbers of other persons involved in their accidents.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

There are motorcycle accidents which are thinly disguised suicide attempts and sometimes they suceed, two people I knew have died in single vehicle accidents on familiar roads each time hitting the only lampost available. Both had marital problems.

• RMweb Premium

When he was quite young Matthew didn't like clowns or people in costumes. He wasn't at all amused when Barney the Dinosaur tried to hug him at Lakeside.

Funny that you should mention that. I never wore any costumes for Carnival either, and was the only one in my primary school class to do so. I admit I also feel a bit uncomfortable around costumed persons. I guess I never understood why anybody should want to visibly pretend to be somebody they aren't.

• RMweb Gold

Funny that you should mention that. I never wore any costumes for Carnival either, and was the only one in my primary school class to do so. I admit I also feel a bit uncomfortable around costumed persons. I guess I never understood why anybody should want to visibly pretend to be somebody they aren't.

Though on one occasion we went to collect Matthew from nursery and they had had an Easter event including a visit from the "Easter Bunny". The manager told me that at one point Matthew had walked up to the "bunny" and said "You are not the real Easter Bunny, I can tell you are Karen, you have got really big feet, only Karen has big feet!". Fortunately Karen was amused.

Tony

• Like 1

Oooooh - those clowns :O

When my little 'un was in Hospital, he got a visit from the "Clown Doctors". He was beside himself, despite never (to my knowledge) having seen a clown before. He would have run away were it not for the fact he had a broken leg.

The Clown Doctors were very understanding, and discretely left!

• RMweb Gold

I'm still afraid of Clowns..........quite rightly too, in my opinion.

When we were tidying up recently during the decorating we found a huge pile of Matthew's birthday cards from when he was quite young. So many of them had clowns on them. My wife said the poor child must have been traumatised, knowing what we know now about his fear of clowns. He claims he can cope now that he knows he isn't the only person who has a clown problem. Now he said they make him uncomfortable not scared. I just don't find clown humour funny.

The earlier mentions of smartphones amused me earlier today. Matthew sent me a picture of his hand. While preparing dinner last night he'd managed to stab himself while taking the stalk off a pepper. I'd been interrogating him a bit about could he move the finger, stop the bleeding, feel anything etc and got sent the image. Some people claim their children don't talk to them, we also get all the gruesome details!

• RMweb Gold

I guess Karen can call herself lucky that she would not appear to have any really disadvantageous physical features which may have been picked up on! :lol:

Actually she looked a bit like Dd's fishing friend.