The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today, though its stopped raining the garden is too soaked to do much out there. So a hot drink, a couple of biscuits and the soduku in today's papers is the order of the day.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Cars are often slow to move  off now due to engines automatically switching off when they stop moving. So you have to wait for the engine to start before moving.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Looks like tonight is the "switch-on" of Christmas lights around where I live.

Ours was last night.  It was almost rained off.  The skies opened and heavy wetness was flung down.  I wasn't there at the time (but was some 30 minutes later) due to the need to collect Dr. SWMBO from a train.  

For the past week or so there have been cherry-pickers, scaffolders and the occasional ladder in use to erect and secure the lights.  I found it mildly amusing to note that in order to erect and display reds, yellows and greens that it was necessary to have a set of red, yellow and green lights provided for traffic control.  In fairness the streets are not very wide and could not safely accommodate a fixed obstruction and two-way traffic.  Delays were minimal at worst.  

It looks quite pretty now.  A fair number of folk were out last night despite the weather but fewer than hoped for.  The shops and cafes stayed open late but few were doing any business by 7.30 when I came through.  Most advertised that they would be open until 9 or 10pm.  I hope they found it worthwhile. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Cars are often slow to move  off now due to engines automatically switching off when they stop moving. So you have to wait for the engine to start before moving.

I hadn't thought of that, now I drive a hybrid my car moves off as soon as I touch the accelerator (in fact before if I take my foot off the brake).

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Some recent ones do have stop-start technology but as to whether it is a blessing or a curse the jury seems to be still out.  

I haven't seen anything suggesting that it reduces pollutants and there is some evidence that it increases them marginally when those vehicles re-start.  It can be a nuisance to residents who happen to live in areas where stopping and starting is frequent.  Such as congested roads, near junctions or railway crossings.  I find it disconcerting on buses; it sounds as though they have broken down.  

When I have hired cars or vans with stop-start I keep the right foot lightly applied to the pedal when stationary to avoid the engine cutting out.  The get-up-and-go is fractionally quicker because I am not waiting for the engine to start.  

• Like 15
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We asked him how that worked and he said one was work and the other was his beliefs and he just kept them seperate.

Cognitive dissonance.

Everyone does it to some extent, but most people who value rationality will at some point get fed up with a paradox of that magnitude. Clearly he was intentional about it. A larger number hold cognitive dissonance without realizing that they are doing it.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Another one seems to have reinvented itself as a bar/brasserie. It seems to be getting a greenhouse like front for a sheltered outside area on the pavement.

Reminds me of the "fern bar" trend in casual eateries in the US beginning in the 1970s.

The concept evolved into some large national chains - lampooned as a chain called "Chotchkie's" in the movie Office Space.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Firstly, it was supposed to be a Swiss company providing a fast service - turns out that it’s a German company with a Swiss website charging customers Swiss prices (i.e. very high) for work done at German rates.

p.s. I did look at getting a British company to do the work, but either they didn’t deliver to Switzerland, had huge minimum print runs (e.g. 1000 or more) or were four or five times the price of those companies that had good reviews, but unfortunately don’t deliver to Switzerland. 

The UK aside, it surprises me that there's this sort of different rates for different places inside the Schengen Area. Is it mostly because Switzerland is not in the EU?

All of your stories of 'not available in Switzerland' surprise me. It makes me wonder if (and I have some idea why not) the Swiss adopted the Euro and EU membership this might go away.

Seems like that sort of thing is a consequence of choosing to live in Switzerland.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Looks like tonight is the "switch-on" of Christmas lights around where I live. People up ladders etc. fixing the external decorations.

One of my daughters works in critical care at a hospital and recently had a patient who died after falling off a ladder whilst putting up their decorations. All very sad. So do please take care.

Bear is running his usual course on how to use a Ladder safely......fellow ER'ers welcome (just bring lots of Cake)

OIG.jpg.219fd813f72ed81a3b52192c4dd54d06.jpg

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The leak in the garage roof is still there, i think the old asbestos may be getting porous. Sealant paint might be the next option should it ever dry again.

That's what happened to the Beary Shed; I did seal it (several times) with proper stuff but it never lasted long (if at all) so I bunged steel roofing sheets over the top.  Sorted.

49 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Some recent ones do have stop-start technology but as to whether it is a blessing or a curse the jury seems to be still out.  

I haven't seen anything suggesting that it reduces pollutants and there is some evidence that it increases them marginally when those vehicles re-start.  It can be a nuisance to residents who happen to live in areas where stopping and starting is frequent.  Such as congested roads, near junctions or railway crossings.  I find it disconcerting on buses; it sounds as though they have broken down.  

When I have hired cars or vans with stop-start I keep the right foot lightly applied to the pedal when stationary to avoid the engine cutting out.  The get-up-and-go is fractionally quicker because I am not waiting for the engine to start.  

The Bearmobile has an OFF button for such a gadget - though I have to press it every time the ignition is turned on.  I'm sure the battery and starter motor are glad I do....

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.The wind is getting up and its predicted to be a bit gusty tonight but should ease off by tomorrow lunchtime. The weather report shows the wind speed as 9 metres per second, a tad over 20mph. Now to see whats for dinner in the fridge. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Currently gusting 64 mph coastal Wales and just north of that. Fraggle rock is not much less than that.

Cross here in Norfolk it's gusting 50...

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, pH said:

Rental cars from the bigger companies are usually the latest models. At one time, cars we rented in the UK all had the auto-shutoff feature. First thing to do when getting into a car was to find that ‘OFF’ button.

One Canadian city decreed that all buses belonging to the city’s transit system had to be shut off for stops longer than a few minutes, to cut down on emissions. When the increasing costs of replacing starter motors began to get significant the instruction was withdrawn.

Hire Cars in Kuwait are all fitted with a gadget that goes "Ding Ding.....Ding Ding......Ding Ding......" just as soon as you step over the 75mph (120km/h) limit**.  Now that would last about five seconds if I owned it.......

**Not that we ever did, you understand.....😉

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Currently gusting 64 mph coastal Wales and just north of that. Fraggle rock is not much less than that.

Cross here in Norfolk it's gusting 50...

The Irish Sea coast has been "rather blowy" since late afternoon...

I can imagine things might be a bit queasy on Fraggle Rock!

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

ION....

I'd have the Lawyers all over this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cglplg07e74o

Cost for a new Funeral (the whole deal - cars, scoff, the lot) plus a large wedge for compo on top.

FFS

and.......

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67658234

"........staff at FIRE nightclub described the impact their work has, from "terrible headaches" to getting "four or five hours" of sleep a night."

Er, you're working in a NIGHTCLUB - just what do you expect??

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

The Bearmobile has an OFF button for such a gadget - though I have to press it every time the ignition is turned on.  I'm sure the battery and starter motor are glad I do....

When the time comes to buy a battery for the stop-start car, make sure you sit down or a standing beside something soft to fall onto before  he rings up the cash register!

Some brands ( like Mada I think) don't use the starter motor for stop-start but use engine compression, basically similar to when you push-start a car...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5