The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

21 hours ago, polybear said:

Someone fitted a ULEZ Camera at lunchtime.

Someone else blew it up a few hours later - literally; judging by the damage to a van parked on the other side of the road and also a house I'd say they overcooked it just a tad.......

They'll be in deep, deep Poo if caught - the Anti-Terror Police are all over it.

If that is the one in Sidcup, that delayed Younger Lurker and I on the school run yesterday - the road we used everyday (Willersley Avenue) was blocked off with forensics boys and the gazebo things they set up. We didn't know what had happened - I just guessed it was an RTA but Younger Lurker could see all the forensics stuff and so we feared it was a stabbing or shooting.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I have long come to the conclusion that it was only when, in Western Europe, the Deity of choice was removed from day-to-day matters by the separation of church from state that humans started to make progress in all aspects of the arts and sciences that have so benefited humanity.

I would probably disagree with the inclusion of “arts” in that statement. Many (most?) of the spectacular religious buildings, and their decoration, predate that separation. Sciences - little argument, though the Romans were pretty clever in some fields.

• Like 10

POETS, and why not 😀

Good rehearsal yesterday, although I managed to have the only tenor who can't sing sitting next to me. Having an open and inclusive environment has its drawback.

Today, work and should be fairly peaceful, MRs has a 5-7pm interview for a study we're involved with, not sure how THAT particular time-slot happened!

This weekend is, as yet, fairly "free", however given the Mrs started hauling Christmas decorations up from the basement while I was at rehearsal, I've a pretty good idea of ONE task that'll be on the agenda.

Sunday evening is the second of our concert series, this one "Rainy Days and Mondays, the music of the Carpenters" by a local tribute band. They performed various concerts around town that we've attended and this should be a good one.

Weather here still defying the odds for December in Minnesota, 4c first thing, mostly cloudy, 8c the expected high. Ranging between -3c and 4c over the weekend.

Forward to the weekend activites...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PupCam said:

unspecified pottering

It has been a day of very specified pottering today. Our neighbours will be departing for Wales to spend Christmas there so we invited them round for a meal tonight. My tidying up last week was deemed to need doing again. I did suggest I could do the cooking and Aditi could tidy up but she thought otherwise. The main course will be an Alsatian recipe. Fortunately the place, not the name by which German Shepherds were known for much of the last century. The recipe used does deviate from tradition by using leeks instead of cabbage. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It does not allow "Old Age" either but again it can be a contributing factor.  Notwithstanding that I have a family death certificate in my possession dating from only a few years ago which states the only cause of death was "Old Age".

Many scientists stand with you.  I as a geologist stand with one foot in that camp.  But the other foot is closer to the camp of "There is still so much stuff we don't know / cannot understand / have lost the ability to know".

The ancients of the various nations from which we have authenticated historical records seemed to have a good grasp on matters without the technology we have today.  Many understood that the Earth revolved around the Sun and the Moon around the Earth for instance.  Healing and medicine were understood with some of the methods probably still in use today.  What unwritten knowledge and methods were required to build the pyramids?  Or Stonehenge?  

The Creation, as the Bible gives it, is more or less accurate in terms of sequence of events.  Not, perhaps, in terms of timeline although we are free to believe as we wish.  The flood of Noah has been ascribed to one of only a handful of known events but might have related to the Cenomanian Transgression (other events were available) which wiped out countless species and after which many new life-forms later developed.  These were the writings of well-informed people.

Even science cannot answer some fundamental questions.  Others remain arguably beyond human comprehension.  If the universe is in theory curved but finite then what lies beyond?  We cannot cope with "Nothing".  What existed before the "Big Bang" if matter can neither be created nor destroyed? For these and other questions it has been expedient for human-kind to create religion and to believe in an all-powerful creator or other being - who may or may not have taken human form - as a means to offer an "explanation".   And a "demon" of sorts by which to offer threats for misbehaviour or explain catastrophic but probably natural events.

I have never resolved this for myself.  I still stand athwart the abyss of the science-religion argument.  I am most certainly not advancing one option in favour of another.  Because we are (most of us where ever we live) free to choose and free to express our choice.  

Which reminds me.  The seasonally-appropriate illuminations are being switched on in town tonight.  I was going to go - it's only a two-minute stroll - but instead will be somewhere on the A30 offering a "rail replacement road service" to Dr. SWMBO.  Who is firmly a scientist and has no time for religion.  Yet loves the peace and tranquility found in churches, church music especially choral masses and has been no stranger to meetings of the Society of Friends.  

Blimey Gwiwer.... reading that has fried the Beary Bonce so much I needed an extra, extra slice of Cake.....

Yours,

A Befuddled Bear.....

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It was certainly allowed when I registered the death of Beth's aunt in Sunderland a few years ago.  The cause of death was "Frailty of old age".A coroner once told me that cancer couldn't be listed as a cause of death.  It had to be some other event such as heart failure, due to cancer.  I once spent some time trying to prove that by I ter viewing the re

Atives of a guy who had died 3 momths earlier than the Doctors expected.  

Jamie

The Big C was stated as the cause on Momma Bear's D.C.

58 minutes ago, PupCam said:

........and a quick thrash on the RD which was most enjoyable during the early morning sunshine.    A bonus was that all fuel pipes remained completely full of fuel.  Glory be!

So what was the fix Puppers?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Very old items have been fettled.. a bit more painting of the sides of parallel bits of  metal has been undertaken.

I believe a major way of describing what people die from is "A lack of breath"...

Death Certificates seem to be worded to fit into the way Insurers want them to say..

Me? Cynical? Serpently I am an Engineer after all!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Friendly/supportive 19

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I have absolutely no time or patience for creationism.

On a similar topic - try teaching Geographic Information Systems with spherical geometry calculations a flat earther. This was for a council planning department.

The temptation to call them a f**kwit was resisted - just. Another ten minutes would have sent me over the top.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

So what was the fix Puppers?

I can only assume that the different functional arrangement of the new petrol tap did it but I don't really know.

Looks like the weather might have put paid to the plans for the Sunday morning bimble or thrash 🙄

21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I'd quite like mine to say I died laughing...........................

I'm reminded of the wonderful Spike Milligan epitaph 🤣

TTFN

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It does not allow "Old Age" either but again it can be a contributing factor.  Notwithstanding that I have a family death certificate in my possession dating from only a few years ago which states the only cause of death was "Old Age".

That was what was on the later Queen's death certificate.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

On a similar topic - try teaching Geographic Information Systems with spherical geometry calculations a flat earther. This was for a council planning department.

He needs to be taken here for educating.

The Burj Khalifa  is so tall that we can observe the sunset at the base of the building, then rush to the upper floors and watch the same sunset again for the second time on the same day. This phenomenon can only happen if the Earth is a sphere.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

From day 1, reporting of Covid deaths has been an issue around the world.  The basic issue is that AFAIK not one single person has died from Covid.  They have however died from pulmonary failure, heart issues, organ failure and so on all exacerbated by Covid.  So if someone with breathing issues catches Covid and dies, was it Covid or the pre-existing condition?  An autopsy might help determine but given the daily death rates, how many autopsies were carried out.

And yes some countries have made political points by ensuring low reported rates.

Bad form to quote yourself, but I Think there has been some fairly widespread misunderstanding because I did not explain properly.

So lets go back 100 years.

An outbreak of flu started in1918.  It developed and started causing thousands of deaths.  It spread worldwide and ended up with millions dying in 1919 and 1920.  The estimates of those that died ranges from as little as 25million up to perhaps 100million.   Record keeping then was rather less good than today hence this wide range of fatalities.  Like Covid, one problem is that flu, in  itself, does not kill people, but those susceptible to a range of conditions when attacked by flu can find those conditions are exaggerated and can then lead to death.  This can include many conditions and people that had not been identified as being at any way as being at risk.

That situation of uncertainty of whether flu was or was not responsible for a death led to a statistical way of saying how many people died as a result of ( not - not from) flu.  The average rate of deaths over 5 years was taken, and anything above that was called "excess deaths" and these were largely attributed to flu.  Typical UK excess deaths (attributed to flu) in the UK would run at 5k to over 40k in recent years.  Some of that has to be attributable to the success of flu vaccination and would otherwise have been higher.  Do note though that this method identifies how many died as a result of flu but not whether that applies to an individual.

Then along came Covid and frankly the same issues apply.  Telling if an individual has died from Covid is difficult - often impossible - but without  doubt many died with Covid and of those many deaths would not have happened in the absence of Covid.  However at an individual level telling if an individual would/would not have had problems/survived is largely impossible with current techniques.  Hence today we can say that an individual died with Covid but largely cannot say that they died because of Covid.  Statistically however we can see the thousands that have died as a result of (but not directly from)  Covid.

Exactly the same 

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

How do you know that it isn't in fact actually a thin nylon coat and that  his body underneath is   providing  all the bulges?

image.png.68300f4b6e4e82e09bf85a19feb7be83.png

Now that is WEIRD.....

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. After shopping at Tess Coes and after unpacking and putting the shopping away I took a little eyelid inspection, thats why I'm late on parade. Time to put the kettle on and attack the mince pies.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. After shopping at Tess Coes and after unpacking and putting the shopping away I took a little eyelid inspection, thats why I'm late on parade. Time to put the kettle on and attack the mince pies.

Carruthers!  The mince pies are revolting!!!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

Todays forecast still set for low to mid 40's. Currently 28 deg at 8AM so its on track.

Hot weather defence system  initiated (house shut up, blinds lowered, misting fan set up on the aviary, dishes of water out on deck for the wild birds.)   I'll get my outside jobs done early then spend the afternoon inside in the airconditioning  watching cool stuff on the telly like "Scott Of The Antarctic". 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Injecting oil into the muscles. Sure is - the male equivalent of injecting crap into your lips so you look like a fish, or silicone into your bum!

"Morris had been accused of injecting patients with mixture of Fix-a-Flat, cement, silicone mineral oil and Super Glue"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4355326/Transgender-woman-injected-cement-buttocks.html

One question:  WHY??

4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... It really is trying my patience. (Which is why you should not study medicine and law at the same time - that really does try your patients.) ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/12/08/sounds-of-the-season-2023-06-covid-hospitalisations-up-a-bit/

How many actually manage to get an acceptable Pass?

• Like 10