The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It'll probably then explode, showering the district with charred and urecognisable fragments!

As for the tiny fencing, how about suggesting it's there with a 2mm strip* of thin transparent plastic with the uprights inked in with a very fine fineliner?

* Only a little bigger than 1.3mm and slightly easier to cut without it turning into a curly thing....

Edited by Hroth
Impractical fencing suggestion...
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

...  PPPS, the wooden fence round the edge of the R12 building top floor is about 1.3mm high in 1:1000, scale, any ideas on how to model that?

I was going to suggest printing onto acetate sheeting - if the printer is good enough to do this properly. But hand-inking sounds easier. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Went for a (short) drive earlier, just to go somewhere different - turned off the London road towards Hurstpierpoint, but then left at the junction towards Shaves Thatch and then on towards Henfield - was going to take the cutoff to Small Dole instead of going to the edge of Henfield, but it was signed 'flood' so thought better of it (no signs for flood at what I think was the other end of that road as I got to Small Dole). I used to cycle those roads regularly, but I think I've only been along that part from the London road (A23) two or three times in the last 20 years now that I only drive.

Then some food shopping, and got some Monsooned Malabar coffee beans - I used to get some every few months for 'best' espresso (rather than for 'wake me up' espresso) but until today I hadn't seen the beans since covid, although I've seen ground (for filters, etc) once or twice. So my coffee grinder is back in use - nowadays I mostly just drink Lavazza rosso. rahter than faff about grinding.

But I'm puzzled by prices for fizz in Waitrose (lots of offers on fizz and wines at the moment). How come fairly ordinary English fizz (not necessarily the classic grape varieties) is dearer than champagne from recognizable names ?

Edited by zarniwhoop
duplicate word and new para in mid sentence
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

But I'm puzzled by prices for fizz in Waitrose (lots of offers on fizz and wines at the moment). How come fairly ordinary English fizz (not necessarily the classic grape varieties) is dearer than champagne from recognizable names ?

Smaller production runs.  We have had some wines from near where you were. Our nephew lives in Burgess Hill and gives local wines as presents. We even had English red wine recently. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

nowadays I mostly just drink Lavazza rosso. rahter than faff about grinding.

We have a bean to cup machine. I don’t drink much coffee but I do get to load the beans. Not due to any special skill apart from being tall enough to see into the hopper.

We did try the monsoon  beans once or twice but stick to the Illy classic beans now. We buy them when they are on “special offer” .

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Smaller production runs.  We have had some wines from near where you were. Our nephew lives in Burgess Hill and gives local wines as presents. We even had English red wine recently. 

On the subject of wine, can anyone recommend** a half reasonable red please?  Bear knows buggerall about such stuff.....

(**From the Co-op Cellar......faffing about in Tess n' Co's etc. just ain't this Bear's style.......)

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

On the subject of wine, can anyone recommend** a half reasonable red please?  Bear knows buggerall about such stuff.....

(**From the Co-op Cellar......faffing about in Tess n' Co's etc. just ain't this Bear's style.......)

A Shiraz is okay for me as it's neither to sweet or to dry .

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

From the Co-op Cellar

Do you know if the intended recipient likes for instance Italian or Spanish food? Choose one of those perhaps. Any of the Australian ones would be perfectly drinkable. I have tended to prefer red wines but I hardly drink any at all now. I didn’t have a particularly refined “palette” or whatever it is called. “Not vile” was fine with me. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

A Shiraz is okay for me as it's neither to sweet or to dry .

But they're all a liquid in a bottle - so aren't they all wet??

Bear confused....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

On the subject of wine, can anyone recommend** a half reasonable red please?  .....

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

But they're all a liquid in a bottle - so aren't they all wet??

Bear confused....

Is this a stand alone gift or to be served with food at Bear Towers/elsewhere? If the latter, it might get tricky - without getting snobby or pretentious about it, I think certain grapes go better than others with particular types of food*. If you're planning something special, it would help if we knew a bit about the circumstances. If it's a stand alone gift, you've more choice as they can choose when to have it and with what - perhaps just go with one of those recommended. 

FWIW, opinion is divided over the best wine producing areas. Personally I favour France, northern Italy and Chile. I don't care for Australian or South African wine. But that's just me - other opinions available. I don't buy wine from the Co-op but if I was buying a red from them, as well as those suggested, I'd think about https://www.coop.co.uk/products/la-vieille-ferme-rouge-758579 , https://www.coop.co.uk/products/casillero-del-diablo-merlot-830875 , https://www.coop.co.uk/products/casillero-del-diablo-reserva-cabernet-sauvignon-713324 - decent [brands] as far as most drinkers are concerned. 

* See that scene in From Russia with Love on the Orient Express... 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Is this a stand alone gift or to be served with food at Bear Towers/elsewhere? If the latter, it might get tricky - without getting snobby or pretentious about it, I think certain grapes go better than others with particular types of food*. If you're planning something special, it would help if we knew a bit about the circumstances. If it's a stand alone gift, you've more choice as they can choose when to have it and with what - perhaps just go with one of those recommended. 

FWIW, opinion is divided over the best wine producing areas. Personally I favour France, northern Italy and Chile. I don't care for Australian or South African wine. But that's just me - other opinions available. I don't buy wine from the Co-op but if I was buying a red from them, as well as those suggested, I'd think about https://www.coop.co.uk/products/la-vieille-ferme-rouge-758579 , https://www.coop.co.uk/products/casillero-del-diablo-merlot-830875 , https://www.coop.co.uk/products/casillero-del-diablo-reserva-cabernet-sauvignon-713324 - decent [brands] as far as most drinkers are concerned. 

* See that scene in From Russia with Love on the Orient Express... 

Standalone, fortunately...so they can drink it, cook with it, strip paint with it, whatever they like with it.....

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

How long to cook a large, frozen turkey?

Frozen Turkey?

Eugh!

If I absolutely HAVE to do a turkey (for some unfathomable reason Mrs iD enjoys turkey) we get a free range one from a farmer just across the border in France. Most times when we collect the bird, it's still warm with head and feet attached- - just defeathered and disemboweled.

Luckily enough, such a free range bird can be made fairly edible with some ("ahem") <Cheffy> cooking (sous-vide gives you a perfectly cooked Turkey breast!)...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

strip paint with it, whatever they like with it.....

Aditi’s uncle in California has a vineyard. The wine he produces now is ok. He replanted the vines a few years ago, The last lot of Zinfandel was horrible. He had changed from supplying grapes to a local Co-op and getting a share of the output to a doing it all himself production. After the replanting started producing it is all done at his home now but he has bought in professional expertise for,certain stages.  The grapes are now Cabernet Sauvignon. We have four bottles from his last visit, though when he ate the roast beef dinner he requested we gave him English red wine! 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, polybear said:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_361628/penfolds-grange-1994-magnum-1-5l

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I would heartily recommend the Luccarelli Old Vines Primitivo di Manduria DOP2019. Very, very drinkable (and if you have a new generation Vacu-Vin a bottle can last a week IF you're disciplined...).

In Switzerland, a bottle goes for about £17 (but that's for 4 cases, just one bottle will cost a bit more). No idea if the British Coop sells it (I got mine from my Vintner).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

More of the same - at least this time it actually fitted (well, most of it.......).

Apart from that it's been din dins with three of the College Ladz down the local foodie Pub.  Definitely a Tick.  Only one of the group went for a pud though (an ice cream sundae)....bunch of lightweights......

Mickey continues to behave nicely, so that's another Tick.

BG

• Like 19