The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Here  we have a swimming pool in the driver's footwell again.

I've ordered another seal on the door not previously changed..

The windscreen seal is another likely culprit, was both times I've  had puddles in the passengers  footwell.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

All the tarte flambé / Flammekueche  I have eaten have had an extremely thin base.

The Waitrose ones I started out with (and which have since been dropped from their range) were thin but I wouldn't say extremely thin. Yes, depending on taste (and with a reduction in cooking time) you could easily halve the pastry thickness - though rolling pastry too thin does risk creating holes in the tarte. 

I haven't tried it but do wonder how filo pastry would work. It might be an easy way to get a very thin layer but wonder how the unleavened aspect would affect the taste. Any ideas anyone? 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Much hanging of Christmas lights has been done and the tree is up but not finished yet.  Unlike PB @polybear I will not be hanging anything, myself included, from the guttering.

Bear's Chrimbo Decs. will consist of an illuminated fibre-optic Mobile with a choo choo on it**;  take it & the mains adapter out of the wardrobe, take it out of it's bag then bung it on the small table next to the telly and plug it in.  Job done.

**Sadly the choo choo no longer goes round in circles - it started squealin' like Hippo with no cake and those in the far east certain didn't believe in making it easy to fix; I tried but there was so much scope for buggerinitup that I left well alone - the choo choo was parked front & centre and now it's just a light display, which is fine.

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And an AWL?

26 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Awl's local representative is busy today  😉

There's an exemption for Live Steam.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

20 MINUTES !!!!!    

I was going to add a comment exploring that but I'll refrain for fear of offence.    So everyone will just have to put up with my incredulity and wonder exactly what I think this mad world is coming to!     I bet a few can guess .....

Bear was always of the view that warming engines slowly by idling did them a whole heap of no good as it leads to premature wear; far better to warm them quickly (within reason!!)

12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

A period when I leant a lot about control systems, 3 term controllers, hydraulic servos and  Cheese &.Onion Toasties*

* You've got to have something to look forward to on a cold winter's night at 2:00 o'clock in the morning when you've just done an inspection of the test facility stuck in the open on the middle of an airfield.

I suspect the thought of rather healthy inbound wage packets at the end of the week (or was it month?) after doing "Ghosters" was a help too.

Msquared ITB n' all that (and Bear will be most disappointed if you don't know that one.....)

BG

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

The Waitrose ones I started out with (and which have since been dropped from their range) were thin but I wouldn't say extremely thin. Yes, depending on taste (and with a reduction in cooking time) you could easily halve the pastry thickness - though rolling pastry too thin does risk creating holes in the tarte. 

I haven't tried it but do wonder how filo pastry would work. It might be an easy way to get a very thin layer but wonder how the unleavened aspect would affect the taste. Any ideas anyone? 

Definite thumbs down on filo.   That is going too thin and muktiple layers would give a very different result.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been looking at the destructions for assembling the rollalong, seems pretty straightforward but some of the components look a bit odd in an engineering sense making me wonder if they need special tools. The fixed wheels in particular where they are attached by screw in studs that look as if they need a tommy bar. The front castoring wheels just plug in.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

The Royal Mail weight limit is 30Kg.....just how much stuff did you buy???

I couldn't figure it out either!

It wasn't that heavy when I brought it in.  Does RM have volumetric restrictions too?  It didn't seem any bigger than previous stuff that I've had by RM.  RM just didn't come up on the list of delivery options, otherwise I'd have chosen it!

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

On warming engines, the really big engines have thermal ramp rates built into their control systems to protect them from thermal issues (stress, different expansion) but they also have warnings about not running at very low load. If you try and by-pass the control system to accelerate more quickly you'll have a lot of bills to replace cracked cylinder liners etc. The big ones are difficult to idle as they're almost all direct drive to a propeller,  they can fit special zero thrust 'propellers' which just churn the water if really necessary but it's very rare as dry-docking to change the props before and after is a lot of work and expensive. I was on a ship that did it because there was an engine issue and the yard was trying to figure out what to do (actually,  as with most 'engine' issues on big propulsion units the engine was fine, it was an alignment problem). On the smaller medium speed auxiliary engines (think locomotive size) engines going back several decades have been designed to run up to speed and take load very quickly and running at idle just clags them up. However,  this is all predicated on keeping the engines warm when stopped and keeping jacket water hot.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

I find with delivery companies so much depends on the final delivery driver, which is a lottery. We had a local Hermes driver in MK who was fantastic despite all the negative views of the company. We had a spell where RM was awful, and with Amazon different deliveries in the same week could be very different.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Evening all,

One set of scribblings re tarte flambe, as promised to @polybear:

Ingredients (like pizza, it's variable):

A sheet of pastry is needed for the base – either homemade or RTR – Jusrol puff pastry (320g) is an easy shortcut and provides two decent portions for a meal, four if it's a lighter meal, say with some green stuff by the side.

A 'moisturiser' – the traditional recipes advise using Creme Fraiche but (at the risk of horrifying traditionalists who would probably say that it's not tarte flambe) you could use tomato sauce/puree or passata …

And you were doing so well up until then…..

I admit to being a culinary purist. If a certain dish, let’s say  <Bear Udon>  [n Hokkaido the Japanese eat bear meat - gamey, but tasty) requires you to use bear meat but you substitute beef for bear, then it’s no longer <Bear Udon> no matter how tasty it is. But if you say it’s “Udon in the style of Bear Udon”  then it’s clear what you’re getting and you won’t be disappointed that there’s no bear in your udon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

10 hours ago, polybear said:

ION.....

I phoned a Buddy earlier - he's had some rather good news (hopefully); he's been under investigation for the dreaded Big C (Prostate) and after an MRI was told "You've got Cancer" - no ifs, buts or maybe's.  He was then forward for biopsy - seventeen, no less.

Well he's now been told that he doesn't have The Big C - so he's A Very Happy Bunny after all; he's somewhat p1ssed off with the first Doc though, he told him he had (and there was no "it looks like you've got" either).  Good news all round though.

I wouldn't blame the first doc, blame a p1ss-poor system that delays diagnostic assessments (scans, biopsies, blood work, radiology) until well after the patient has been examined and a tentative diagnosis established.

Too often I have seen cases where "it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck" only to find than the definitive diagnostic test shows that it is, in reality, a swan.

The importance of prompt diagnostics cannot be overstated, and this delay in definitive diagnosis is one of the reasons the UK lags behind most European countries when it come to cancer survival rates (see: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/worldwide-cancer/mortality)

One of the bitter ironies is that the diagnostic machinery IS there, but the relevant departments work for the most part civil servant hours. A lot of the equipment lies idle in the evenings and on weekends (the lab and radiology in the hospital I worked at in the US, 40 years ago, were fully staffed for the day and evening shifts 7 days/week, with skeleton cover for nights and holidays. It can be done).

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

On the one occasion I had flammekueche in Alsace the base was described as bread dough. I do not recall much about the base, but it certainly wasnit ultra-thin pastry. As a veggie I asked for the onion variety without lardons, and only had a few pieces to pick off.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7