The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

Looks a bit, well, bland to this Bear - though I'd test it....purely in the interests of Science you understand.....

They used to sell them in Tesco but a quick search online shows that if you want a ready made one you will need to put in an Ocado order. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is a challenging conundrum. PETA have a policy statement on the subject of no-kill shelters as the equivalent of lifetime, solitary confinement incarceration for unwanted animals.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Apparently, in the American Dog (owner? aficionado? lover?) community, PETA are both infamous and notorious for being far too quick to euthanise dogs they get at their shelters. There’s quite a few grassroots organisations that organise rescues from high kill shelters (which presumably includes PETA run shelters) and transports and finds homes for the former doggy death row inmates.

There’s something very Stalinist about PETA;(in more ways than one). There are more than a few PETA extremists who believe there shouldn’t be any pets at all, perhaps these extremists regard dogs at their shelters in the same way Stalin regarded the returning Russian POWs from German camps - contaminated, suspect and to be ruthlessly eradicated at the slight sign of “wrongness”

Back in 2019 we visited a do on behalf of the Essex & Herts air ambulance. Someone bought along a small terrier dog in a buggy. It was explained to us that she was rescued from being euthanized after her mistress died and the mistresses family were going to have her put down. The dog was 16-17 years old (at least 112 in human terms), was deaf, blind and suffering from arthritis and unable to walk. Her carers took her out of the buggy and placed her on the ground. There were other dogs there and one of them started barking at the rest. With that she started shivering with fear but her 'carers' were to busy boasting about how many dogs they have 'saved' to notice.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I enjoyed the discussion on 'trams' yesterday.

Everywhere I have lived was home (at one point) to extensive tramways* now mostly or entirely defunct. Even Southern California had (at one point) the largest electric tram system (they called them streetcars) system in the world, (not counting the Los Angeles Railway "yellow cars").

* Or interurban electric railways using a trolley pole.

Today I live not too far from what was the Oregon Electric Railway - an trolley pole-based system that included 122 (often quite scenic) miles of interurban route from Portland to the south. This is still operated by the Portland & Western - but not as an electric railway.

They defy semantics. When does a multiple unit tram become a "light rail"?  When does a single unit trolley system become a railway?

Nor do all trams run on rails. Aerial tramways are suspended from cables. And trolley-buses run on tyres without tracks.

In the UK it depends on under which act of parliament they were constructed. They could be built under the railways act, tramways act or the light railways act. A good example was the Southend tramways, although a street running tramway (with some private right of way) they were legally a light railway as they had been constructed under the relevant act of parliament.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only one call out from bladder control last night and no trouble from Arthur Itis and about seven hours sleep so not a bad night in all. Bright sunshine but cold out there this morning so I'm contemplating the G word.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've just done a census on a tub of Celebrations.  The good news is that the number of Bounties appears to be fewer than in previous years, a mere 7 'orrible wastes of space!

I shall incorporate them in a Bounty-lovers Christmas Stocking!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We've had them since the beginning of the nineties so over 30 years. 

1986 for Adelaide. An apparent  feature are  sump buster devices  that rip  the sump out of    cars  that try  to use the track, though this little old lady has  managed to avoid them so far. 

image.png.3ea1d9bf3bd337e9a7b3e644292d704a.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

1986 for Adelaide. An apparent l feature  i s regularly placed  sump buster devices  that rip  the sump out of the bottom of any car that tries to use the track.

Is that supposed to be a moving picture?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

1986 for Adelaide. An apparent  feature are  sump buster devices  that rip  the sump out of    cars  that try  to use the track, though this little old lady has  managed to avoid them so far. 

Looks like a TT scale car on OO gauge track....

At least its not going the wrong way down a motorway or dual carriageway!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

OIG.egxR95QiA4T.jpg.d637b9f32aa5d950f280f56df952a9c7.jpg

Nuff sed........

🤬🤬

What is lurking under your bed? Perhaps it is a shadow, or perhaps not?

Perhaps it depends upon whether or not one believes in fairies 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Back in 2019 we visited a do on behalf of the Essex & Herts air ambulance. Someone bought along a small terrier dog in a buggy. It was explained to us that she was rescued from being euthanized after her mistress died and the mistresses family were going to have her put down. The dog was 16-17 years old (at least 112 in human terms), was deaf, blind and suffering from arthritis and unable to walk. Her carers took her out of the buggy and placed her on the ground. There were other dogs there and one of them started barking at the rest. With that she started shivering with fear but her 'carers' were to busy boasting about how many dogs they have 'saved' to notice.

Stupid *****. If you do really care about the animal, you do what's best for the animal. NOT what's best for your ego!

I love Lucy and Schotty dearly and I have absolutely no qualms about providing treatment for them in their old age - no matter the cost or (in some instances) inconvenience. The only thing that matters are the questions: "whatever I do, does it benefit Lucy or Schotty? Will it keep them free of pain? Will they be able to enjoy their lives after the medical intervention?" That's the ONLY thing that counts.

For example: dogs can get osteosarcomas (bone cancers), should this happen to either Lucy or Schotty, the questions are:

1. Will surgical removal benefit the dog (generally yes - although most of the times it involves a limb amputation)
  2. Will the dog be able to withstand the surgery? (and here I'll defer to the vet)
  3. Will the post-op recovery period be problematic for the dog (too long enforced inactivity? risk of infection? untreatable pain?)
  4. Will the surgery allow the dog to have an adequate quality-of-life after recovery? (generally yes, dogs adapt quite well to having just three legs)
  5. If surgical treatment isn't feasible, what other options are there? (in humans this would be drug treatment of one form or another and/or radiotherapy. With dogs there are therapeutic limitations often associated with the age of the dog)
  6. If there are no surgical or other therapeutic options available, how do we manage the disease to provide the dog with the best (and longest) good quality of life before we need to send "them on their way"?

Incidentally, many of those questions are also relevant to human patients as well.

For a real dog lover, it's never about them, it's always about the dog!

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

Possibly a motif on the carpet, a looped electric cable, some thin rope, a long thin snake, or a Templot printout in Z scale. 

underbed.jpg

Or a LARGE SPIDER.....

🤪

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11