The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The problem with trams is that they have to run through streets clogged with pedestrians, horses and carts and "early" motor vehicles, plus detailed townscapes.  Unless you go for a depot scene, rather like a BLT.

Not always . 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8929601,-3.0401591,3a,27y,36.06h,91.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9xrej-hoBsaPhDjDpuxAjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Thanks to Polybear's "innovative" cuisine...

_43e973b4-068c-4e4f-a2c1-346375b6184a.jpg.283432c88cb342cbe99b2cb68a2e0f74.jpg

...once again Britain got "Nul Points" in the International Cuisine Olympics...

He just needs to work on his fancy food presentation skilz.

_a771a7bb-e8d3-4648-acfa-01439519d759.jpg.a97150aaf615a8d1539a775b5ed0bdd5.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My mother had a runabout wheelchair that didn't fold down.

In the early 60s my father needed a new car.  None of the American models (that he could afford) had a trunk that would take it. He ended up with a Vauxhall Viva. 

Back in 1975 I had a Vauxhall Victor FD (coke bottle shape). The boot was enormous, enough space for a body. There was also an estate version which must have had a huge amount of space. The roomiest car I've had was a Nissan Prairie which despite having a cavernous space had a similar footprint to a Ford Orion.

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Found it.  It's called "An inconvenient grave" written by Steve Weaver.  Steve has used a pseudonym for his surname but I worked with him.  A great bloke.  Some of the officers are given pseudonyms in the book.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Jamie

There's a few copies on E-bay if anyone's interested

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

He just needs to work on his fancy food presentation skilz.

_a771a7bb-e8d3-4648-acfa-01439519d759.jpg.a97150aaf615a8d1539a775b5ed0bdd5.jpg

Haricot beans with a tomato jus, on an artisanal bread platter....

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Fun and games.

We were on the KWVR railbus to Keighley recently and the driver stopped and yelled something about moving off the track. It was a dozy pheasant we were informed. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, only one callout from bladder control. The excess postage parcel has arrived, it was as I thought an item I purchased via E-bay. The address/postage label was one issued by E-bay as letter post but the box was to deep for letter post. I will be contacting the vendor about it.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

My mother wasn’t exactly full of tales of joy from her childhood in Birmingham but travelling out to the Lickey Hills on a tram at the weekend was something she seems to have enjoyed.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have often wondered why trams aren't a more popular subject, lots of interesting vehicles and great layout potential. There are a few available RTR or in die-cast/plastic display with potential to be motorised. Kato make a very good track system as part of their Unitrack range though the tram track can be quite pricey.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Some of the tramlines of the northern   and Eastern Suburbs of Sydney have some great scenic potential, some parts were like a country branchline.

image.png.8c5f0034c944004a07072062a3b651b4.png

image.png.100b179e966c23307df84b6ea4369cf2.png

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Moi?  Anyway, ours is an Electric Railway.  There is confusion over the title though, it does change!

Country branchline?

20210801_112620.jpg.1df30f4d5a275fde583323399cb91509.jpg

There is a Sidney tram layout that appears now and again in the Tramway Modelling group on Facebook. EFE produced a Sidney tram and the layout uses motorised versions of them. I think the layout may have featured in the tramway modelling section here on RMweb.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The sun is shining and it is dry and cold after overnight rain.  The house jobs are done, I've had a walk, half the washing is done, now I can relax for the rest of the day.  

There are some ornaments which mihght get cleaned later on and some photos to sort out later prhaps.

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, pH said:

OK - which of ER’s resident gourmets has been moonlighting as a CNN food critic?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/classic-british-food/index.html

The "writer" of that appears to have a problem with the food illustrated, almost as if they are reacting to photos without having sampled any of them!  I must say, that of those illustrated, the only one I wouldn't touch with any kind of bargepole would be the jellied eels. 

In fact, I was considering what to have for scoff this evening, having looked at that link it looks like it'll be Toad in the Hole!

Edited by Hroth
Evening Scoff thort....
  • Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We were both late getting out of bed this morning and as we both have appointments early this afternoon Sheila is at the dentist, whilst I’m at Wythenshaw hospital, we decided to have a cooked breakfast instead of our usual cereal. We did intend to go to the Trafford Centre so that the tech guys at John Lewis could have a look at Sheila’s Kindle, but that’s now been postponed. So I’ve got a couple of hours to kill, so I’m heading downstairs to PLAY on the computer. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15

52 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a Sidney tram layout that appears now and again in the Tramway Modelling group on Facebook. EFE produced a Sidney tram and the layout uses motorised versions of them. I think the layout may have featured in the tramway modelling section here on RMweb.

There are some Melbourne tram layouts around , since they didn't surrender to the bus companies and thus still have an extensive viable network.

The movie Malcolm is an ok  watch, set in Melbourne, kind of like the Italian Job but with model trams.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

As of 6AM tomorrow NSW joins the rest of Australia in allowing voluntary  assisted dying. 

(From Sydney Morning Herald)

150 NSW doctors  have been certified for the approval process. Two must confirm that a candidate has an advanced, terminal disease likely to kill them within six months, or 12 months in the case of a neurodegenerative disease such as MND.

The law requires a five-day wait between a patient’s first request – which is followed by the two consultations – and their final, written request.

If the application has been granted by a board, a doctor prescribes the drug. When, and if, the patient decides to have the prescription filled, an encrypted email is sent to a special pharmacy, which delivers the drug in a locked steel box.

The pharmacist will also explain how to use it. “It’s hard to take; it requires mixing and it’s not straightforward,” says Dr Wade Stedman, NSW Health’s Voluntary Assisted Dying clinical lead. Experience from other jurisdictions shows about a third of the people who have the medication at home never use it, he said.

“The patients find it a security blanket, it’s nice to have the control” says Stedman. Patients can take the medication themselves orally or ask to have it administered by a doctor intravenously. It’s not suicide under the law.

Administering fatal medicine is a frontier for doctors, too, even if they have put themselves forward for the task by volunteering for training.

“Some might want to be involved in the first assessment and providing information; those same practitioners might not want to be the administering practitioner,” says Stedman. “Others might be comfortable being involved in the whole journey.”

Doctors have been invited to a “community of practice”, in which they can share their stories and support each other.

Stedman will go into the office at 6am on Tuesday to be on hand when the portal opens. He is expecting a large number of people to apply. “There’s already practitioners who have told us that there are patients who’ve asked them for it, and they’re waiting,” he said.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 4

1 hour ago, pH said:

OK - which of ER’s resident gourmets has been moonlighting as a CNN food critic?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/classic-british-food/index.html

Not me. I would never have recommended Fish fingers, chips and beans! Otherwise it's a pretty OK review (although missing Pork Pies, Haggis, Game Pie, Cornish Pasties [NOT those from G******s] and fagg0ts and gravy).

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

(although missing Pork Pies, Haggis, Game Pie, Cornish Pasties [NOT those from G******s] and fagg0ts and gravy)

and whelks.

and cockles.

image.png.114c85a8ed2b9a9ed69cebf57b7a80d0.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

since they didn't surrender to the bus companies and thus still have an extensive viable network.

Melbourne's trams and inner-suburban buses were all run by the one government organisation for many years.  Known as the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board but popularly as "The Met" this assumed responsibility from the original privately-owned and run tramways of such as the Hawthorn Tramways Trust.

The Met developed and extended the tramways as Melbourne's suburbs grew.  Largely a radial network this meant that there were, and to this day are, relatively few bus routes to and through the city itself.  Many of those which exist use the Eastern Freeway corridor to reach areas such as Doncaster which are unserved by tram.  Others are long-standing and lengthy cross-city routes which by and large never competed with trams such as Sunshine to Brighton.  

Melbourne's suburban bus network now sprawls across the middle and outer suburbs but inner-suburban routes remain thinner on the ground and are typically cross-suburban links which intersect with the tram routes rather than paralleling them.  

With around 500 trams, most of which are more than a single-car and some up to five modules in length Melbourne claims the largest tram network in the world though St. Petersburg may have more track kilometre and more cars.  Routes extend more than 20kms from the city to reach Bundoora, East Brighton (arguably* the most southerly tram-stop on the planet at the route 64 terminus) and Footscray by way of a change to the only surviving purely suburban tram route, the 82, at Moonee Ponds.  Footscray once had its own modest network independently of those in Melbourne.  The entire network cannot be covered in a single day's travel unless alternative transport is arranged between some outer terminals.  

Historically and to this day tram routes are numbered in the series from 1 - 149 (originally 99 but the system has grown) with bus routes starting from 150 ensuring no duplication.  

"Everyone uses trams" according to many Melburnians and the standard travel guides.  They are indeed very well used through the central area and offer an every-few-minutes headway on almost all routes every day.  It is a good system and one which, despite the persistent whingeing of motorists when stuck behind a tram, is generally well-loved.  Melbourne's trams are its icon just as red buses are London's.  

* Adelaide and Auckland contest this claim for their stops at Glenelg and MoTaT museum respectively; the latter is purely a museum demonstration line and not a public transport service. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It is raining here. We aren’t going the Co-op anyway. Perhaps you could save time by asking Alexa to generate a track plan for you. 

Alexa:  "Hmmm, I don't know that one......"

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This looks like something for @polybear to think about 

IMG_0162.jpeg.780aba4f7685a627caf7ceb8558d0be3.jpeg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......................

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Thanks to Polybear's "innovative" cuisine...

_43e973b4-068c-4e4f-a2c1-346375b6184a.jpg.283432c88cb342cbe99b2cb68a2e0f74.jpg

...once again Britain got "Nul Points" in the International Cuisine Olympics...

Bear would just like to point out I'm standing in the center of three - so that'll be the Gold Medal position.......

Incidentally, I had Tortellini alla Mascarpone con cavoletti di Bruxelles for din dins.....

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Haricot beans with a tomato jus, on an artisanal bread platter....

£38.95 to you, Sir.

Chips are extra.

• Like 8
  • Funny 9