The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We don’t have lemon trees but our olive trees stay outside. 

But I will hazard a wild guess that Essex does not enjoy regular winter lows in the high minus teens or occasionally twenties.  

A lot of folk don't understand or believe that we can get such cold winters this far south in France until I remind them that looking across the Rhone valley I can see the peaks that people ski from.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I kept seeing a lovely Robin in one place.  He let me get to within about 6' with the mini tractor before flying up I to a nearby tree.  Lovely to watch. 

According to various books, Robins on mainland Europe are less trusting than those in the UK so possibly quite a rare occurrence.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

According to various books, Robins on mainland Europe are less trusting than those in the UK so possibly quite a rare occurrence.

The Manx version certainly is friendly, they hang around closely whenever we're gardening, and follow up any sweeping of leaves etc, often to with a couple of feet.  When sitting quietly, if we put collected bugs next to us on the table they will come right up for a free feed.

• Like 18

27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Note the skilled Manx driver about to cut the corner off, in the usual manner.  Dozy driving here is the norm.

Morning, from a dull, slightly chilly 7c rock, where nobody seems to be in a rush to actually do anything this morning! 

No hordes of murdering bikers, although a friend does have a Hardley, and it is both very shiny and loud.  He looks like an aged biker hardcase, and is actually a gentle quiet man, and a professional of some repute.  When the bikers come here for TT (IRO 40,000!) there is very little 'trouble', and as all of them arrive via the ferry which has drugs dogs along for the ride once the car decks are closed, very little substance abuse.  Those caught carrying gear spend their holiday behind bars then are barred from returning, like Singapore we don't mess around here.  

Phillip Island would be our bike racing event here, 71,000 attended this year but I assume nothing bad happened because there was nothing about it on the news, and the media here love stories about biker rampages.

The Bathurst 1000 car event in October is known for its hijinks on top of the mountain, but that is limited to bogans setting light to their own things accidently, or doing circle work in their cars and blowing them up. And then setting light to  them.

The police attend but usually once they''ve ensured that  nothing criminal has taken place  they just publicly make fun of the bogans  by posting photos of them on  the NSW police twitter account.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

While I will admit that my lemon trees have been brought in  about a week ago, they (and olives) are surprisingly frost resistant with most varieties able to withstand -10°C or worse.  That reminds me:  must bring the olives in.

What!?  Are they on wheels?

The only thing I and most people here (everyone has a lemon tree in the backyard for some reason) ever learn about lemon tress  is that to get juicy fruit you must wee on the roots. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

A lot of folk don't understand or believe that we can get such cold winters this far south in France until I remind them that looking across the Rhone valley I can see the peaks that people ski from.

The lowest temperature recorded in Alice Springs in the centre of Australia is -8C.  Most winters it'll get a few mornings below zero. You don't need snowy mountains to get cold!

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Phillip Island would be our bike racing event here, 71,000 attended this year but I assume nothing bad happened because there was nothing about it on the news, and the media here love stories about biker rampages.

The Bathurst 1000 car event in October is known for its hijinks on top of the mountain, but that is limited to bogans setting light to their own things accidently, or doing circle work in their cars and blowing them up. And then setting light to  them.

The police attend but usually once they''ve ensured that  nothing criminal has taken place  they just publicly make fun of the bogans  by posting photos of them on  the NSW police twitter account.

Not so different here TT week - given our population is just over 80,000, having 40,000 visitors makes for a busy rock.  The daft lads do wheelies and burnouts, the police pick up the bits later and issue a few fines, bollockings etc.  There is unfortunately, always a handful who really hurt themselves running out of talent pretending to be racers, and the odd dead one that won't do it again.  Racers know the risks, often that is why they do it, but normal punters should remember they have families and loved ones before getting out of their depth, and the emergency services have to clear the mess up afterwards.  However there are many more killed climbing hills in Jockland each year.....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

It is very noticeable that the Robins come a lot closer that the other garden birds.  We did have a nest our first summer in the base of a pomegranate bush about 4'from the bench where we would sit out.  The two parents would fly round to about three outer locations then dart in, feed the youngsters and leave.  It was lovely to watch. The one yesterday seems to live near where I saw it.  It's usually there when I mow and I do quite a few turns near it.  It never gets less than about 6' from me. 

As to the lemon tree, it's in a tub and I can still lift it easily. The most difficult part was opening the second half of the French windows to the dining room so that it would come through without damage. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 45568 said:

Try doing that on the M1/A1 North in Yorkshire or Northumberland mid-February with a thin freezing rain falling! 

Very few shorts and t-shirts on display when we met a group of mature gentlemen with large American machines at the Skelton Lake service area on the M1 near Leeds a couple of years ago. We were on our way to the Harrogate Christmas Market (so not the warmest of weather) and pulled in for a break - to start with we were the only vehicle in the empty caravan parking area. Half hour later after coffee and cake, we returned to find this sight awaiting us !!  The Clint Eastwood film comes to mind - push one bike over and they all go over . . . . 

Bikes4resize.jpg.57f81d0405352e0982642f9165ccf4e0.jpg

Bikes2Resize.jpg.f38bafc28f08524644db7a6dbb815677.jpg

Bikes 4.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Every afternoon I get this idiot looking in the window waiting for food just like this.

This was this afternoon. I've begun  teaching him to say "hello" before he gets his almond, hopefully that'll freak out the other people he does this to.

image.png.0e1e2e595b368ccf0e1193cf14e92339.png

He's certainly got you trained! Perhaps you could teach him to say "I'll do anything for food"?

Edited by Hroth
Modified slightly...
  • Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if it still exists but there was a South Essex chapter of Hells Angels. About thirty years ago they used to hold a rally/hog roast event in a field adjacent to Vange Church. There was never any trouble there which is not surprising as most of the members of the chapter were getting on a bit and when you see one of them having to be helped on and off of his bike they, despite their piercings and tattoos are not that frightening.

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

There would be the risk (unless the water in the pipe on the outside can be fully drained once the water has been turned off) of the residual water freezing and the pipe splitting.

I follow the advice a plumber gave me years ago. After I close the indoor stoptap I open the garden tap so as to drain as much water as possible and then leave it half open all winter.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The only thing I and most people here (everyone has a lemon tree in the backyard for some reason) ever learn about lemon tress  is that to get juicy fruit you must wee on the roots. 

We had a very prolific lemon tree at the top of our drive.  Not truly "in the backyard" but at the open top end of the car port.  Describing it as bountiful would be doing it a dis-service.  We enjoyed fresh lemons at almost any time of the year but when in full fruit we were giving them away by the kilo.  You couldn't sell them because "everyone" had similar trees.  Fat, juicy lemons with good thick skins which made for good limoncello, lemon curd and marmalade among other things.  

he flowers were about the only ones our bees avoided; they could be found feasting everywhere else but no on the lemon tree.  The harvested honey tasted of where they had been.  A hint of pear from the huge pear tree next door; a touch of aniseed because they loved our fennel and of course there was always lavender because SWMBO is a great fan of it.  

The aforesaid tree was the recipient of a decent amount of nocturnal voiding.  Not something to do in daylight in case the neighbours were about.  There was the added bonus of not having to worry about the noise of a night-time flush waking anyone else in the house! 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't know if it still exists but there was a South Essex chapter of Hells Angels. About thirty years ago they used to hold a rally/hog roast event in a field adjacent to Vange Church. There was never any trouble there which is not surprising as most of the members of the chapter were getting on a bit and when you see one of them having to be helped on and off of his bike they, despite their piercings and tattoos are not that frightening.

This was the Rebels fortified compound in Western Sydney until the police launched several operations with scary names like Operation Raptor to shut down the bikies organised crime connections and it got raided. 

Screenshot(190).png.d008cb85907516e1c9caa63eb1c88839.png

I'd drive past it on a semi-regular basis and you'd always be on the  alert  if anyone was waiting to come out of there and you'd make sure to stop and politely wave at them to let them know they could cut in front of you.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Very few shorts and t-shirts on display when we met a group of mature gentlemen with large American machines at the Skelton Lake service area on the M1 near Leeds a couple of years ago. We were on our way to the Harrogate Christmas Market (so not the warmest of weather) and pulled in for a break - to start with we were the only vehicle in the empty caravan parking area. Half hour later after coffee and cake, we returned to find this sight awaiting us !!  The Clint Eastwood film comes to mind - push one bike over and they all go over . . . . 

Bikes4resize.jpg.57f81d0405352e0982642f9165ccf4e0.jpg

Bikes2Resize.jpg.f38bafc28f08524644db7a6dbb815677.jpg

Bikes 4.jpg

Satan's Slaves, from the visible patch; British in origin rather than US, but they have a history of violent incidents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The aforesaid tree was the recipient of a decent amount of nocturnal voiding.  Not something to do in daylight in case the neighbours were about.  There was the added bonus of not having to worry about the noise of a night-time flush waking anyone else in the house! 

I have a similarly bountiful example in my backyard. It doesn't get nocturnal visits though due to the huge number of OrbWeaver spiders who build their webs between here and there. An unexpected sticky collision with their web, then knowing that there is a large furry spider somewhere on me, probably somewhere on my  face,  dampens my enthusiasm for making the lemons even more bountiful and juiciful if that is a word. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

But I will hazard a wild guess that Essex does not enjoy regular winter lows in the high minus teens or occasionally twenties.  

Our little bit of Essex is rumoured to have a rather pleasant microclimate. It is normally very dry but the last three winters have been very (record breaking ) wet, When we got our first olive tree we followed the instructions about bringing it in over winter. We had also followed the watering instructions. It wasn’t that happy. While we were in France we were looking at some information near olive trees and realised how wrong the original tree leaflet had been. We wondered if the intention had been to produce a Bonsai. South Essex isn’t a likely venue for the Winter Olympics but the London Olympics  back in 2012 held the mountain biking event at Hadleigh which is in the same District Council (Castle Point) as Benfleet. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6