The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Great. So he turns up here and straight away gets handed 1.5 million. Wheres my 1.5 million? And he gets  free accommodation and meals, we should be looking after our own instead.

And what about all the other countries between there and here he could have stopped in?  Whats wrong with them?

People like him are just laughing at our border policy, there'll be boatloads of them soon. All talking in the trains with their silly accents.

Sadly, said individual is descended from a community of people who came to England by boat, fleeing persecution and probable death in their home country...and were made welcome and allowed to settle here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I remember many many years ago when I was at sea I did some time on a container ship trading between the Persian Gulf and East Asia. It was a terrific ship, very well designed and built and the route was great (Gulf - Singapore - Hong Kong - Busan - Yokohama - Nagoya - Kobe - Busan - Kaohsiung - Hong Kong - Singapore - Gulf). Anyway we picked up a pair of stowaways in Bandar Abbas, Iran. We did a complete circuit and no port would take them so they were still on-board when we got back to Bandar Abbas. They were marched down the gangway and shot, I think I had a slightly different attitude to migrants and desperate people after that.

That was a sister ship of a boat which operated a Europe - Gulf service, that was the one which tested a containerized Seawolf SAM system. The test which was hush hush tope secret and for which we had to sign the official secrets act, nobody ever knew that the container with a VLS and the other one with a radar radome on top cunningly disguised by painting BAE - Lockheed on the sides were a missile system.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think the UK Government got the idea of “offshore processing” from Australia. Perhaps they have capacity in their PNG camps. 

And I'm pretty sure our Liberal (ie not liberal) party trade marked "Stop the boats!"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Sadly, said individual is descended from a community of people who came to England by boat, fleeing persecution and probable death in their home country...and were made welcome and allowed to settle here. 

Priti Patel's family were part of the East African Asian community expelled from Uganda by Idi Amin, and she was a truly turpitudinous individual with truly ghastly views on many things (though in fairness Priti was pretty).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember many many years ago when I was at sea I did some time on a container ship trading between the Persian Gulf and East Asia. It was a terrific ship, very well designed and built and the route was great (Gulf - Singapore - Hong Kong - Busan - Yokohama - Nagoya - Kobe - Busan - Kaohsiung - Hong Kong - Singapore - Gulf). Anyway we picked up a pair of stowaways in Bandar Abbas, Iran. We did a complete circuit and no port would take them so they were still on-board when we got back to Bandar Abbas. They were marched down the gangway and shot, I think I had a slightly different attitude to migrants and desperate people after that.

Echoes of the MS St Louis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

People like him are just laughing at our border policy, there'll be boatloads of them soon. All talking in the trains with their silly accents.

Welcome to life in the UK.....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

We were hoping that you'd keep him. After all you want something to discourage all the immigrants.

At last, an answer....

All we need to do is sit Nigel Farage on Dover Beach in a throne and get him to do his best King Canute impression; all rubber boats will take one look and bvgger off back where they came from.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

Sadly, said individual is descended from a community of people who came to England by boat,

As Britain was uninhabited during the last Ice Age we're all descended from immigrants. Some of our ancestors walked, those arriving before about 8500 years ao, but after that they came by boat.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, polybear said:

At last, an answer....

All we need to do is sit Nigel Farage on Dover Beach in a throne and get him to do his best King Canute impression; all rubber boats will take one look and bvgger off back where they came from.....

As long as the throne is set in cement at the low tide mark and he is chained to it.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thats is an entertaining point that up until now I'd never considered 

. Monday to Friday its all Hi-Vis and hard hats,  "bend your knees when you pick that up!" and BeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeep  whenever anything at all reverses, but OH&S just gets switched off completely come winter Saturday arvos!

Looks like a brawl with a ball.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

All we need to do is sit Nigel Farage on Dover Beach in a throne and get him to do his best King Canute

You mean Cnut …. Patron Saint of dyslexics.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Its been an expensive month....

Vehicle Tax

House Insurance

Quarterly Energy bill

At least they didn't all come up NEXT month, or it would have definitely been a case of

Bah!  Humbug!!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think the UK Government got the idea of “offshore processing” from Australia. Perhaps they have capacity in their PNG camps. 

Didn't the exporting of our undesirables to Oz start when the revolting masses across the pond said we couldn't send the there anymore.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Didn't the exporting of our undesirables to Oz start when the revolting masses across the pond said we couldn't send the there anymore.

Jamie

Once the USA declared independence somewhere else was needed for those sentenced to transportation. Perhaps there was a labour shortage in the new colonies?

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

As long as the throne is set in cement at the low tide mark and he is chained to it.

But that would severely time-limit the efficacy of the solution.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

... interpreting the enquiry evidence - Speaks of not following the scientific advice again and causing more infections, hospitalisations, ICU patients and ultimately deaths, especially between September and October 2020 – a six week hiatus which could have changed a great deal. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/11/23/covid-a-look-at-this-weeks-figures-and-spotlight-changes-in-the-enquiry/

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3