The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  Got my ears lowered yesterday and got the shoppingIdone in good time.  Four Barrow loads of logs were brought down to the house as we are lighting the fire more often. I then managed to use my router without injuring myself and started shaping timber for a new pair of shutters.  That is a winter project.  

This morning so e odd jobs then I'm off to Ruffec to do a it of shopping g then to watch trains for the afternoon with Andy.  It sounds like a good plan. 

Jamie

• Like 19

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Several club members gave me loadsamoney, yep I'm collecting the money for the Christmas dinners.

Il Dottore ( other person's may be available) may peruse the menus here.

https://www.banninghamcrown.co.uk/menus.

I did have a peruse and I must say the menu doesn’t inspire 100% confidence….

1. Unless they’ve got a kitchen brigade the size of The Savoy’s, I really wonder how they can do such a huge menu from fresh ingredients every day. Especially given the modest prices (I suspect they make huge batches of everything once or twice a week, keep it chilled and finish cooking/reheat when ordered)
  2. OK, you need to explain to the gastronomically inexperienced what certain dishes are, but I think some of the wording used is too flowery, unnecessary and redundant. Why state on the menu “fresh bloomer bread” or the steak will be “cooked to your liking”. Surely such things are (to use a Swiss term) “selbsverständlich”?
  3. The menu seems to be a mix of solid, traditional food that you would hope to find in a good pub (although I question the use of lamb’s kidney instead of ox kidney in the steak and kidney pudding) and and things for the London Trendies (Mango & Coconut Slice, Confit Duck Leg)
  4. Unless it’s one of those (many) peculiarities associated with Norfolk, why have Steak and Chips on the Christmas Menu?

But, as they say, the “proof of the pudding is in the eating”. I wonder what the food actually tastes like.

I’ve always looked at elaborate and flowery menus with suspicion, wondering if - like stage magicians - they are trying to distract our attention.

Which, of the following, would you choose.

• Sole “Bonne Femme”
  • Sole with a white wine, cream and mushroom sauce
  • Fresh pan fried sole, glazed with a white wine, vermouth and shallot reduction and served with a rich field mushroom and Jersey-cream sauce

Now I’m hungry. Time for breakfast…

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Several club members gave me loadsamoney, yep I'm collecting the money for the Christmas dinners.

Il Dottore ( other person's may be available) may peruse the menus here.

https://www.banninghamcrown.co.uk/menus

Lasagne, Chips n' Peas.  Gets a Tick from this Bear.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woken by a bit of cramp in my foot.. but a bit more sleep managed after that.

Today really is carpet fitting day. Before they arrive I need to move the TV and its stand out of the way, bring my "Warley" demo box downstairs and part load the car.

@pH.. lovely carving!

Time for my mugatea then to gerronwithit. 

Enjoy your day!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullung
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

• Sole “Bonne Femme”
  • Fresh pan fried sole, glazed with a white wine, vermouth and shallot reduction and served with a rich field mushroom and Jersey-cream sauce

Fish & Chips please 🤣

But if pressed it would be Option 1, 2 and 3. They are, or can be, one and the same advertised with varying degrees of cheffiness 

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Up a little earlier than usual, mainly down to the fact that I have a 9:10 appointment at the surgery for my 3 monthly hormone injection. This, as you all know, is my ongoing prostate cancer treatment and unless the doctors decide to change this, will remain so for life. After that I plan to spend the morning in the garden, as I’ve some more tidying up and bulb planting is the plan. Like yesterday, I'll probably the afternoon in the cellar. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Fish & Chips please 

Sole is the sort of fish I would eat if presented with but wouldn’t choose. I only really like cod or haddock and generally dislike oily fish. Not too keen on seafood either.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

1. Sole “Bonne Femme”
  2. Sole with a white wine, cream and mushroom sauce
  3. Fresh pan fried sole, glazed with a white wine, vermouth and shallot reduction and served with a rich field mushroom and Jersey-cream sauce

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

But if pressed it would be Option 1, 2 and 3. They are, or can be, one and the same advertised with varying degrees of cheffiness 

1 is, of course, Terry Pratchetts "Avec", even though it doesn't actually mention the word itself. Its useful shorthand if you know the code and unuseful if you don't.

2 is straightforward and says what you're getting.

3 is foodie verbal diarrhoea.  It deserves to end " with spam"...

The list should be ordered 2, 1, 3 according to Gwiwers "Degrees of Cheffiness"

I think I'll choose something else, so long as it doesn't include Brussels Sprouts!

Edited by Hroth
Forgot to say that I agree with Gwiwer. Also, rearrang and spelin
  • Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Sole is the sort of fish I would eat if presented with but wouldn’t choose. I only really like cod or haddock and generally dislike oily fish. Not too keen on seafood either.

Sole belongs on the bottom of footwear.  Its not a fish I would normally choose but like @Tony_S I could eat it.  I can manage to be quite a polite eater of foods I don't really enjoy if that is what the host offers.  

When asked if there is anything I don't eat my standard reply is "Seafood and mouldy food".  Which includes the likes of blue cheese.  But occasionally I will pick an interesting dish from the menu which breaks that mould. I surprised SWMBO (in her pre-Dr days) when she took me to an Italian restaurant in Twickenham.  I chose the "sea" bass (all bass live in the sea) serve with samphire, cherry tomatoes and cockles.  Bass is OK.  The cockles were small enough to be managed though one was closed, rejected and should not have been on the plate and another was gritty.  

I'll sometimes opt for Huss (known as Rock Salmon / Eel in some areas) instead of Cod at the chippy but it's quite pricey now.  At one time it was cheaper because few people wanted it.  In Australia my preferred choice was Flounder against the local standard of "Flake" which is Gummy Shark.  

Hey ho.  It's steak 'n' chips tonight.  Not a fish in sight.  Not even a pack of their fingers.  I have yet to discover which species of fish actually has fingers.  Perhaps the hitherto un-described Piscecarpus rectangulus?

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Fake "new car smell"? Is there a used car lot nearby?

No dealers lots nearby but no less than three  car valeting places in view of the filling station including a self service one in the filling station itself. That is probably the main reason for the presence of the deodoriser together with a vacuum cleaner.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No interruptions from bladder control again last night leaving it up to Arthur Itis to be the alarm clock, almost eight hours sleep in all. Not a lot to do today except to fill the pink sack up for the bin men tomorrow as it's the last day that they will be collected. Next week we start on the new system with proper black wheelie bins instead of black sacks and reusable sacks for the recyclables. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I like cod/haddock/sole/plaice/salmon cooked simply or in  a nice sauce - as long as it doesn't contain any fungi - I am allergic to them.  I also like proper kippers, preferably from Craster, just along the coast.

As for other sea food I used to like cockles bought from the sheds at Leigh on Sea but now they upset me.  Lobster again upsets me, I can usually eat crab and prawns.

I had quite a good night's sleep and woke before my alarm so the garden bin was on the pavement well before the bin lorry came at 08.00. It was not as windy as the forecast had predicted so I could have put it out last night.

I've had breakfast, done some chores and now have to decide what to do next.  It is a very dull morning so I think I'll settle for a local walk with a visit to the shop to buy some rolls for tea. 

Someone put what should have been a very simple question for me to answer on my photo thread last night.  It was just the location of a block of flats in a photo in Nottingham.  I have to admit I had to get out an old street map to find the place - but I haven't lived in or near Nottingham for 50 years and although I have cousins there we don't visit each other.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

• Sole “Bonne Femme”

Now I’m hungry. Time for breakfast…

Bear doesn't "do" fish (though smoked haddock is ok, and I daresay kippers too - though I've not had them for years);  I'm also less than big on mushrooms too. 

Though I suspect that @iL Dottore considers that Bear resides in a culinary abyss anyway.....

OIG.jpg.2983fda29643def931bff4eedd64010b.jpg

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

33 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn't "do" fish (though smoked haddock is ok, and I daresay kippers too - though I've not had them for years);  I'm also less than big on mushrooms too. 

Though I suspect that @iL Dottore considers that Bear resides in a culinary abyss anyway.....

OIG.jpg.2983fda29643def931bff4eedd64010b.jpg

I see The Bear continues to live down to his usual low standards......

_c4b3b597-f979-4d27-826a-0f6f7874817d.jpg.a601b9bc7099700577230947b1e7178e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

I guess I am of an age now where I lived through a couple of cycles of politicians leading us all down the primrose path, people swallowing the spin put on world events and then vowing to learn, never again etc until the next big crisis. Recently I've felt like I'm living in 2003 again. Which brought this song to mind, it was popularised among some in Britain when the Pogues did a cover version in their album 'Rum, & the Lash' but to me the Eric Bogle (who wrote it) did it far better. A much more powerful anti-war song than many more famous (and commercially successful...efforts), one of the few that invokes a genuinely emotional response in me.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had a quick check of the garden. The foxes have been around and left their calling cards but have not attempted to dig any holes. The California lilac is looking very sorry for itself, I might have to drastically prune it in the spring. There's new shoots coming from the base so that it should survive. All the other shrubs are thriving making a great windbreak as they are all evergreen.

• Like 14