The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No papers today, they arrived at the newsagents to late for them to be distributed. Due to building works the newsagents are difficult to access so this afternoon I went down to Tesco's petrol filling station, easier than going into the store. As I had only filled up yesterday I parked near the air pump. The air pump also had a vacuum attachment for cleaning your car, I can see the logic in that but it also had a car deodorizer spray!

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

One of our neighbours put up their Christmas tree last weekend. One is Canadian; maybe is it a Thanksgiving thing?

The festive skip arrived near here last week. Some tinsel has been applied to nearby street lamps too. 
20231117_162626.jpeg.74d72f6faeffab3bfbbeeb08d35064fd.jpeg
There are a couple of houses in our road already decorated with outside lights and festive objects. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

43 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

One of our neighbours put up their Christmas tree last weekend. One is Canadian; maybe is it a Thanksgiving thing?

You’re thinking of US Thanksgiving. Canadian Thanksgiving was October 9 this year.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The festive skip arrived near here last week. Some tinsel has been applied to nearby street lamps too. 
20231117_162626.jpeg.74d72f6faeffab3bfbbeeb08d35064fd.jpeg
There are a couple of houses in our road already decorated with outside lights and festive objects. 
Tony

Style......a Chrimbo Tree in a Skip......

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

More of the same - at least I'm discovering more "how to" plottin' tricks.

ION......

Bear had "a bit of a result" a few minutes ago; as part of The Big River's "Black Friday" flog-off I ordered a pair of Jeans** - soon afterwards they sent me a twenty quid off a first order with Amazon Morrisons.  Well I went to the relevant part of the site, only to be greeted with a different code that also gives the same discount.

Anyway, I ordered a loada stuff (£77 to be precise) then entered my own email code, giving twenty quid off; it then gave me the option to enter another code.....

Naturally Bear thinks that if I entered the "free for all" code for twenty quid off it'd just bounce, saying that only one offer could be applied - but it didn't bounce......

So Bear got forty quid off a £77 order.  I call that a definite Tick........

**They actually fitted as well.  Incidentally, I thought I'd see what the prices are like for Jeans in M&S - they've got two pairs where there's holes ripped in both knees.  Huh?

Edit:  Hang on a Mo.....

Bear just checked the order again - I only got twenty quid off after all; the rest was because I'd got credit in my account following stuff I'd returned and that made the total look cheaper than it really was.  Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.  I'll go back to hatin' 'em again.

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... 149 working days, 253 calendar days until I retire. Counting? Moi? ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/11/21/covid-sir-chris-in-the-spotlight/

A nice "chamber" version of Vom Himmel Hoch.

I have always liked the "Christmas Mass" interpretation*, lots of colour!

* I was browsing in the Classical section of a Virgin Megastore when the CD was first released.  They were playing it as their featured CD at the time and I was so impressed that I left with a copy!

Edited by Hroth
Just a bit more...
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Note to @PupCam - watch the bit from 4m 5s and you'll realise it's Nottagoodidea......

I've just remembered, I can't participate in it.   I'm washing my hair that weekend.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The Decorated/Illuminated Houses are starting to pop up here, I saw two last Saturday after I visited a Christmas Fair...

One of the neighbours, today 🙄

54 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

My spreadsheet is keeping count for me. :)

Mine did!

Night All!

• Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

My first task this morning was to change the filter in the water jug and give the jug a clean. It’s not a big job, but it takes about 30 minutes when you add the cleaning and rinsing of the new filter altogether, but that’s it now for another 4 weeks. 

Well tidying up took a lot longer than anticipated, but it’s still not all done. However, at least part of the garden looks neater. I did get some bulbs in, 19 giant alliums to be precise. I’ve still got another 100 or so bulbs, mainly tulips and snowdrops etc, to plant out yet. The weather forecast for tomorrow is for a dry day, so hopefully I’ll get some more of them planted out. 

We ended up having dinner a bit later than usual, consequently it was a bit late after dinner, so I stayed in the cellar and tidied up a bit. I also refitted the 2 shelves I took down when I started painting, which has now given me a bit more room to do the rest of the painting. 

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

One of our neighbours put up their Christmas tree last weekend.

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

The Decorated/Illuminated Houses are starting to pop up here, I saw two last Saturday after I visited a Christmas Fair...

The seasonal winter holiday* decorations are proliferating wildly here. Many houses have external lights applied in the last week or so. Traditionally people in the US do this on the long weekend following Thanksgiving - starting (Black) Friday.

* Christmas, Yule, Chanukah/Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, etc.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

The Australian subsidiary of the retailer K-Mart (and employer of my cousin's two 20-somethings) had a bit of an own-goal lately.

They had to withdraw this holiday promotion:

image.png.4d13e48abcf2c8b0afc9906a8d275fb0.png

All kinds of confusing, this is.

So as not to appear to endorse terror organizations it was withdrawn. The overlap with prohibited foods is also unintentionally ironic.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Today was supposed to have ice all over from about noon. So we set off early (before I had my second coffee or read the second paper). We reached the mall before most stores were open. Back even before the bins were picked up.  We never did get any ice.

My cousins say that they have a movie of my father unwrapping a Christmas present that they did up for him.  He very patiently and carefully undid the layers of giftwrap. When he came to the sucker, he undid it and ate it before continuing on to the next layer.  I don't remember the event and I haven't seen the film.

• Like 17

Random pictures from a local walk this afternoon:

IMG_2464.jpeg.8f8f3ba2abeb99426b07b29bcbbc8e5e.jpeg

Mostly coho salmon with some chum salmon at the entrance to a hatchery on a local creek. They’re starting to die - some were already dead and the smell was pretty bad. We had missed the main part of the run. A woman we talked to said that a couple of days ago that stretch of water was just full of fish. The timbers at the top of the picture are the remains of a net frame over the water. It was demolished by a local bear who is treating the stream as an “all you can eat” buffet.

IMG_2465.jpeg.53a0dc395377cb1a9aa73975922e0896.jpeg

A work in progress - one of a pair of cedar doors for the hatchery, by a First Nations carver.

IMG_2470.jpeg.4bc10cf1916ba7346276786672c8f66b.jpeg

No, winter hasn’t arrived here yet. This is Zamboni (you can look it up) shavings from the local ice rink, just out of shot to the right.

• Like 15