The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Spent most of today packing the living room up ready for a new carpet to be fitted this coming week. Pah!

I have also received a consignment of items for display at Warley by the York Show attendee.

Tea will become roast pork, roast potatoes, cauliflower and gravy...yummy!!

Smith was not out..  but he didn't  review the appeal. Ball pitched outside off stump, hit outside offstump..played a shot so... Not Out!

Baz

• Like 19

Watched a really interesting programme on the TV last night about Richard III and the Princes in The Tower. Looks like history might've stitched him up.

A pity the late Queen wouldn't allow DNA samples to be taken from the remains. Wonder if Charles will be more amenable?
Somehow I doubt it.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Watched a really interesting programme on the TV last night about Richard III and the Princes in The Tower. Looks like history might've stitched him up.

A pity the late Queen wouldn't allow DNA samples to be taken from the remains. Wonder if Charles will be more amenable?
Somehow I doubt it.

There were some doubts about the parentage of his older brother Edward IV, the father of the Princes in the Tower. Henry Tudors claim to the throne was tenuous to say the least and he married Elizabeth daughter of Edward IV to secure his position. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

image.jpeg.6ba63d17eb9da2c8ebecacd0635ba2ed.jpeg
My Mum used a few of those but she was never allowed to forget her “apples don’t grow on trees, you know” or “I’ve only got two pairs of hands”. 

Elder Lurker once, when he was about three, said to me “Mummy’s only got one pair of hands….she’s not a robot you know”

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

57 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Somehow I doubt it.

I thought the first series of Blackadder had exploded the myth that Richard III was a tyrannical hunchback years ago ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

50 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There were some doubts about the parentage of his older brother Edward IV, the father of the Princes in the Tower

There was also the pre-contract of marriage story of Edward IV which questioned the validity of his marriage to  Elizabeth Woodville and hence the legitimacy of both the Princes in the Tower.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There were some doubts about the parentage of his older brother Edward IV, the father of the Princes in the Tower. Henry Tudors claim to the throne was tenuous to say the least and he married Elizabeth daughter of Edward IV to secure his position. 

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

There was also the pre-contract of marriage story of Edward IV which questioned the validity of his marriage to  Elizabeth Woodville and hence the legitimacy of both the Princes in the Tower.

Under when anyone's going to get to the bottom od who actually was illegitimate, as If Edward V's marriage wasn't legal then Elizabeth of York was also illegitimate.

Everyone's on shaky ground.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Smith was not out..  but he didn't  review the appeal. Ball pitched outside off stump, hit outside offstump..played a shot so... Not Ou

He looked a bit shocked, I’ve seen some real waste of time reviews but surprised he didn’t . Fortunately hasn’t affected the match too much!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A number of people have questioned the Tudor version of "Richard the Third and the Princes in the Tower" almost since 1485.  I was going to watch the most recent version but forgot, I'll have to use catch-up!

For a simple canter through the pro-Richard view (from an early 1950s viewpoint), the Josephine Tey novel "The Daughter of Time" is an easy read.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I expect@monkeysarefunwill be pleased.... 

🤪

No  because I fell asleep when Australia looked looked they were struggling around 3 for 100 or so... 

I woke  just then with the TV screen blank expecting an Indian victory.

Back to sleep for an hour or so, I shall celebrate then!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well, after yesterday's exertion of putting all the stuff - and there was an awful lot of it - back into truss-land after Steve had put all the new insulation in, we didn't rush up this morning!  Then it was out to a Hygge..... which apparently is a Chr>>>>mas craft fair with friends at 10, then a slap-up lunch at a pub in Peel.  Stuffed.

I see the Poly Bears are out again at Tynwald Mills, although I doubt they will place them in such a way that the kids can do this with them again.....

pbears.jpg.3a39402a9671d241de4eba9b46149166.jpg

It doesn't look good from that angle, perhaps there's a little more of a gap from the side?  I hope so!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It doesn't look good from that angle, perhaps there's a little more of a gap from the side?  I hope so!

According to various TV documentaries the male bear would have killed the cubs first. Mummy bears seem to avoid marauding males when they have cubs. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Obviously you know nothing about howcrhevgamebis played in the North. It's sometimes like umpiring a battle (without bodily contact).

Ask youngest Herbert! He opens the batting for an unpaid Bradford Premier League team (Pudsey Congs).. its nowhere being genteel!

Baz

Have I been misinformed? You  need to have a word with your telly writers!  From watching anything English,  cricket there is  always village green,  gentle summer evening, some old blokes watching from a bench outside the pub, birds singing, polite clapping.

Of course then someone opens the kitbag to find the body of the groundsman with a stump through his forehead  and Ms Marple, those Midsummer Murder guys, Father Brown, et al descend to solve it.

Come to think of it it never seems to rain in England either.

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

He looked a bit shocked, I’ve seen some real waste of time reviews but surprised he didn’t . Fortunately hasn’t affected the match too much!

I wonder how much that massive pro- Indian crowd messed with his head? Certainly was the strangest game I've seen crowd wise. You could literally hear a pin drop whenever  India lost a wicket or Australia got a boundary.  On the plus side there was no booing etc but nor was there even polite clapping.

I fell asleep early into the Oz innings when it looked like we were up against it so It'll be interesting to replay it to see how the crowd went as the game progressed increasingly in Australia's favour. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Top 20 Happiest Countries in the World for 2023

Finland

Denmark

Iceland

Israel

The Netherlands

Sweden

Norway

Switzerland

Luxembourg

New Zealand*

Austria

Australia

Canada

Ireland

United States

Germany

Belgium

Czechia

United Kingdom

Lithuania

*New Zealand are mainly that happy cos they can now move to Australia to live and work without needing a Visa.

You'll only that high up the list because we keep letting you win at cricket.

Tiddlywinks anyone?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1