The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Playing?  PLAYING?  Cricket for every Australian means standing out in 40+ degrees, covered in flies that buzz around your face, or climb into the corners of your eyes seeking moisture;  cricket means hoping to be allowed  to field at long on where you can at least benefit from the spindly shade of the lone gum tree beside the toilet block ; cricket means the long walk to the centre in the oppressive heat while a lone willy-willy briefly accompanies you as it stirs up a hand full of  dried gum leaves that swirl  around your legs ; cricket means getting hit in the face by the skied ball that you can't see coming at you  out of the blinding noon day sun as you stand in the outfield scanning skyward; cricket means warm orange cordial at the drinks break that you throw up 10 minutes later in the heat.

Cricket isn't "playing",  son!

You Aussies don't half moan a lot don't yar.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

??? I wasn't moaning, I was being nostalgic. We wouldn't have it any other way!

Look at you, cricket is all genteel and village greens and white picket fences  and a metaphor for being  all gentlemanly -  "Well bowled sir, I seem to have been caught LBW" "No sir on the contrary, my ball would have missed leg stump by an inch - retain your bat!"  and "Nice shot Vicar - if you'd connected with the ball it would have been 2 runs for sure!" etc.

And where does that get you? No one remembers who came 7th!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It's their national sport.

The Top 20 Happiest Countries in the World for 2023

Finland

Denmark

Iceland

Israel

The Netherlands

Sweden

Norway

Switzerland

Luxembourg

New Zealand*

Austria

Australia

Canada

Ireland

United States

Germany

Belgium

Czechia

United Kingdom

Lithuania

*New Zealand are mainly that happy cos they can now move to Australia to live and work without needing a Visa.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Again not a bad night last night, bladder control only hit the button once and I was able to get a couple more hours ZZZZ's afterwards, seven hours sleep in all. Not sure what I'll be doing today, bright sun first thing this morning but now clouding over and rain predicted.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

... I see F1 has got even more stupid .... I'd like to think that the Team would sue the organisers for damage (how much does a chassis cost?) plus damages due to the penalty but I somehow think that won't happen.  No wonder I stopped watching that nonsense years ago.

BG

Yes (sadly) ... C4 commentators were suggesting £1 million in yesterday's qualifying coverage. Fred Vasseur was understandably caustic in media interviews. 

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

[Moaning...]  It's their national sport.

No, can't be right, rank amateurs, they'd be beaten hands down by farmers, exhibition traders and Yorksher folk ... 😉 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Cricket isn't "playing",  son!

Ah.  I can see where you're going wrong....

Completely the wrong attitude!

35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Look at you, cricket is all genteel and village greens and white picket fences  and a metaphor for being  all gentlemanly -  "Well bowled sir, I seem to have been caught LBW" "No sir on the contrary, my ball would have missed leg stump by an inch - retain your bat!"  and "Nice shot Vicar - if you'd connected with the ball it would have been 2 runs for sure!" etc.

And in less than a weeks time, no one will remember who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th either.

46 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It's their national sport.

8 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

No, can't be right, rank amateurs, they'd be beaten hands down by farmers, exhibition traders and Yorksher folk ... 😉 

Perhaps there ought to be a Moaning World Cup....

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... A question. What would have happened to the history of the world if Joseph had said, in Aramaic, “It’s a girl!”? ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/11/19/covid-enquiry-in-the-week-ahead/

Well, after the near-miss thunderbolt,  "Sorry, only joking!!!"

Again a nice musical choice.

"Clemens non papa" because they had to distinguish the composer from the then current Pope....  😁

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well, it's raining again, so that's no gardening for me today. So I think I'll head downstairs and paint some more clouds. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 18

Damn it, half time at the cricket and at 11:25pm with a 4:45am work start tomorrow its looking like I'll be  having a sleepless night.. India's first 10 overs were looking at a 300+ result and in that case I'd have gone to bed assuming an Indian win, but after a brilliant start  they lost two quick wickets and fell in a bit of a heap so I think  we have enough of a chance for me to have  to stay up for the Oz innings...  (Apparently a lot is going to rest on when/if the dew appears)! 

PS This is not a moan.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Top 20 Happiest Countries in the World for 2023

Finland

Denmark

Iceland

Israel

The Netherlands

Sweden

Norway

Switzerland

Luxembourg

New Zealand*

Austria

Australia

Canada

Ireland

United States

Germany

Belgium

Czechia

United Kingdom

Lithuania

*New Zealand are mainly that happy cos they can now move to Australia to live and work without needing a Visa.

I very much suspect that number 4 on that list may well have dropped down - or even off the chart recently.

54 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I'd rather have a couple of Deltics .....

HOW MUCH??  😲😲

Bluddy Hell, Bear can have a weekend at Missenden for that.  No mud, no tents, no dodgy burgers, no queues, no cr@p weather.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

image.jpeg.6ba63d17eb9da2c8ebecacd0635ba2ed.jpeg
My Mum used a few of those but she was never allowed to forget her “apples don’t grow on trees, you know” or “I’ve only got two pairs of hands”. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Didn't do much this morning except a bit of sudoku and emptying the washing machine, I'll be putting it on the drying rack later. The foxes are back but my pruning the bottom most branches of the evergreen shrubs has stopped them from digging holes underneath them.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

??? I wasn't moaning, I was being nostalgic. We wouldn't have it any other way!

Obviously you know nothing about howcrhevgamebis played in the North. It's sometimes like umpiring a battle (without bodily contact).

Ask youngest Herbert! He opens the batting for an unpaid Bradford Premier League team (Pudsey Congs).. its nowhere being genteel!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2