The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I also avoided BBC1 this evening for the same reason. I watched the gardening programs on BBC2 instead. 

I find the TV programme exceedingly naff, though some of the fundraising is rather impressive' it seems VK has now gone thru' the £5M mark.

ION......

Bear's escapades with Templot are starting to get less painless; one thing I have learnt is that many (all?) of the so-called layout plans produced by well-known "names" in books etc. bear no relation to reality in that, when overlaid with templates to the same scale etc. it's just not possible to reproduce the formations etc. in anywhere close to the same space.  No Sh1t Sherlock.

And Finally.....

BBC TV News got a whole lot more fun earlier - when a "Just Stop Oil" protest in London was being filmed, the BBC took the opportunity to film & interview White Van Man:

"They're just a bunch of F <beeeeeep> ing W <beeeeeep> kers - if I had my way I'd mow 'em all down then back over them......."

Seems like a plan 🤣

BG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

As mentioned above BBC1 is showing 'Children in need' which I and quite a few others are avoiding. Tomorrow night is going to be worse (IMHO) as its the final of Strictly come prancing. 

Oh that it were the final Phil.  It's just Blackpool ballroom week.  Several more weekends of "enjoyment" to come before the final just before Xmas

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's escapades with Templot are starting to get less painless

Print out the function key overlay and … err….  over lay it.

You don’t need anything else.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Two years in a Young Offenders Institution - so the little 'sterd will be out in a year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-66959198

Unfortunately I think it has to do with the fact that the poor gentleman didn't die straight away. Perhaps one of our more learned contributors could confirm?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Once I got back from the Trafford Centre and I’d packed away all the shopping, I made myself a muggertea and headed downstairs to the office to do some last minute edits to the artwork for the turntable article that will appear in next months journal. After dinner, I headed back downstairs to print of a couple of photos, one of Vickie and Ian’s wedding and one from Mike and Sarah’s wedding, then fitted them in frames we got from IKEA on Wednesday. It’s something that we’ve wanted to do for ages, but didn’t have frames for them until Wednesday, so I’d got no excuse. Sheila is now delighted, so a few brownie points earned. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Barry O said:

@BoD.. I changed the ball joints on my mini once. I quickly realised the Haynes Manual was, shall we say, quaint do I rearranged the way to do it.. job done and dusted without the need for bleeding the brakes.

My best friend from school was a Mini enthusiast, eventually having a garage that serviced mine.

He referred to the constant-velocity joints as "the clunkers".

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Oh that it were the final Phil.  It's just Blackpool ballroom week.  Several more weekends of "enjoyment" to come before the final just before Xmas

All the way to the week before Christmas, then there's the Christmas special to contend with...

Its good practice to sleep through Christmas Day if possible!

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

… some pre war Rileys had a preselector gear box.  The selector was on the steering column and having selected the next gear you pressed the "gear changed pedal" which was where the clutch would have been on a normal car.  The Riley Lynx was so fitted …

One of my uncles had a Lanchester with that arrangement. I remember my dad enjoying it when he got to drive it.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

This evening, I drove a significant distance in the “rush hour” for the first time in years. I hope it’s a long time before I do it again. Coming back later took about a third of the time.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Chimpy (@monkeysarefun) at his day job....

_b62e0236-960b-4ad1-a1be-351b68d53168.jpg.522a923b211295e2bf8a6c1d2c5167e7.jpg

A stripagram??

Actually my day job in the mid 90's did have a view like that when I worked for an oil company, my office is about where the red arrow points,even our server room had views of Sydney  Heads!

PXL_20230811_231942125.PHOTOSPHERE.jpg.d1c72e2dd5e31a1b250f99ef46395177.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a Charente where no rain is forecast today.  That's a miracle.    A good day was had with model railway pals.  A bonus was that I didn't have to drive most of it.  Andy and I shared transport.  

Today is another tip run day so after breakfast I will be loading the trailer then heading to the tip.  

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

A stripagram??

Strippagram?

Oh, DO pay attention. That’s an IT Copper fighting cybercrime.

Believe me, Chimpey, if I thought for a moment that you were a male stripper, instead of the highly skilled and experienced IT professional that you are, that would have been a very different photo indeed….

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BoD said:

Print out the function key overlay and … err….  over lay it.

You don’t need anything else.

Bear has that.....but it still fights back.....

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Unfortunately I think it has to do with the fact that the poor gentleman didn't die straight away. Perhaps one of our more learned contributors could confirm?

Until 1996** it used to be the case that if someone died more than a year and one day after being attacked in the UK then the person responsible couldn't be charged with Murder; that law has now been abolished - if the death can be proved to be the result of the accused intending to cause death or serious injury then they can be charged with murder, irrespective of how long ago they died.  I suspect that's why, in this case they were charged with Manslaughter.  But 2 years??

**2018 in NZ, apparently.

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It looks like pea shoots. Had them draped over various meals during our trip north recently. 

Are they the latest "in thing" in fancy cooking?  Or there to hide the evidence/cover up the body/disguise the crack in the plate?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4