The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

@polybear.. you eat chip shop sausages??? Not a good idea.. full of all sorts of nasty things... the fish would be a healthier option.. but in my time in Bragbury End until the local Chinese take away started to do fish and chips we didn't buy any.  ?Rock? and chips.. yer what??

Bazj

Ps it's now chuckinitdarn  big time here

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Barry O said:

At Arnhem  my old man reckoned you could walk across the flack and cannon shells... and, unlike others..  you got no medal to thank you for your attendance in unarmed "Transport Sqadrons" unless you got a posthumous VC (Flight Lieutenant Lord)  or a DFC for becoming "flak happy" (Jimmy Edwards DFC).

Baz

My mums cousin flew with Transport Command in Burma. Flying Dakotas in and out of Imphal when it was surrounded by the Japanese. The airstrip was on the top of a hill and the Japanese were at the foot of the hill firing at the aircraft coming into land. Many of the aircraft were hit and those that were too badly damaged to fly were simply bulldozed out of the way.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Like many people in my part of the world I sometimes need to drive through the Tyne Tunnel and so have to pay the toll.  I just paid cash at the toll booths until November 2021 when they were removed.  To save the hassle of either phoning or paying on line for each journey I set up an account into which I paid some money and set up "auto top up" so that whenever the balance went down to £5 it was topped up from my credit card.

In other words, nice and easy.

On Saturday they upgraded their system to allow payments by Apple Pay and Google Pay, probably a good idea.  During the day the system was taken down, but payments for those who have accounts will be debited in a few days if they made a journey on Saturday.  I glanced at the e mail and thought no more about it as I wasn't using the tunnel last weekend.  Today I received an e mail reminding me that as I have auto top up enabled I would need to re enter my card details as the new system did not copy them across, though everything else - i.e. my details, the balance, car reg no. etc was. 

It was easy except that I didn't see the final button, it took me about 10 minutes to work out where I went wrong and managed to find it, which required me to scroll quite a long way down the page.

Why can things not be straightforward any more?

David

Same thing with the Dartford river crossing, they changed their system about the same time. I have an account on the old system which I haven't updated as I don't drive very far now and I am unlikely to use the crossing in future.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched an interesting program on Channel 4 about air fryers. Some of them are quite large and they tested them against other forms of cooking food. One test they tried out was with two almost identical families (mum, dad and three kids) asking them to cook a roast chicken* dinner one family using an air fryer and one a conventional oven. Overall the air fryer won by the time taken and the energy consumed, less than half the time and energy that the oven used. It surprised me that some people even baked cakes using an air fryer though it shouldn't have as they're actually a compact fan oven. When it comes to energy consumption (kwh) the microwave comes out tops with the air fryer second and slow cooker third with the conventional oven using more power than the other three combined. *The whole chicken was a tight fit in the air cooker but it was found that it was easier to fit breast down, this meant that the breast received all the juices as it was cooked. 

I got an air fryer a while ago from Aldi, 30 quid for a single compartment 4.5L capacity device with touch controls.  I've not been adventurous in using it, its mainly for cooking my ... fish'n'chips!!!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a damp Charente.  It seems to have rained continuously for weeks.  We needed it though. Shopping this morning then off to the shed. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

It was easy except that I didn't see the final button, it took me about 10 minutes to work out where I went wrong and managed to find it, which required me to scroll quite a long way down the page.

Cos' the person who produced the web page was still at school in June; prior to that they identified as a cat:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12219913/Children-identifying-cats-wearing-ears-class-warns-Britains-toughest-headteacher.html

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The pension that wants a photo of me holding my driving licence says it's not clear enough.. Well what do they expect, a camera won't focus on a credit card and a person at the same time..

We'll have one more attempt before resorting to spending hours on a phone...

And meanwhile your pension is sitting in their account earning them interest.  'sterds.

Bear here.....

Templot.

Bear gone......

• Like 7
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Good Morning,

Arrived home on schedule, disabled the alarms (and thermal imaging guided machine guns), unpacked the British charcuterie (soss, black pudding haggis) and put it in the fridge put the bottle of Suntory World Whisky (obtained at LCY - half the price than in Switzerland) into the whisky cupboard, had a wee dram - contemplating all the ER posts on fish ‘n’ chips (I concluded that many ERs are very Germanic in their approach to food: “doesn’t matter what it is, there’s got to be a lot of it”), thence to bed to the sounds of wind and rain.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

I feel sorry for Tasmania, no corners at all...

There's Cosy  Corner in The Bay Of Fires...

image.png.e302852cde912e63069898ccd15df003.png

Unusual in having a cuddly sounding name in contrast to our  usual Cape Grim, Mt Disappointment,  Dismal Swamp, Suicide Point, Mt Misery, Bay Of Fires  etc etc 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

At Arnhem  my old man reckoned you could walk across the flack and cannon shells... and, unlike others..  you got no medal to thank you for your attendance in unarmed "Transport Sqadrons" unless you got a posthumous VC (Flight Lieutenant Lord)  or a DFC for becoming "flak happy" (Jimmy Edwards DFC).

Baz

9 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Transport command crews were treated rather shoddily in terms of medals and recognition I think, flying at low altitude and at low speed in a predictable flight path (the Germans knew the drop zones)  made them the perfect targets for flak gunners. Not just the 88 and 105mm guns which could shoot at high altitude targets but the Dakota's were well within range of light rapid firing flak.

It seems to be a recurring feature of the British armed forces and MoD. 8th Army veterans who served before 2nd El Alamein (which could be described as third El Alamein if you count Alam Halfa as 2nd) didn't get the 8th Army clasp for their Africa Star medal which was rather shoddy IMO. And merchant seamen had a very shoddy deal, they weren't military but faced extremely high risks to keep Britain in the war, especially if they served in the Arctic convoys to supply the USSR.

Not only that, but it does seem that those fighting in campaigns and battles that were either failures (e.g. Arnhem) or considered peripheral/of minor importance (e.g. the Burma Campaign) were deliberately overlooked by the Military Establishment. As they say “success has many fathers, failure is an orphan”.

I’m currently reading Defeat Into Victory by Field Marshall Viscount Slim (or General Slim as he was at the start of the Burma Campaign) and how this important theatre of war was neglected by British High Command is pretty shocking.

I think that it’s important to regard defeats such as those in Greece, Crete, the Balkans and Burma (at the start) not as failures but very expensive (in terms of men and materiel) setbacks for the Axis powers. Had the Italians and Germans not had their losses (men materiel, time) in the Balkans, Greece and Crete, the invasion of the Soviet Union would have occurred earlier with more resources to draw on; likewise without Burma demanding men and materiel of the Japanese, the American Pacific Campaign would have been even more costly and time consuming than it was. In both cases, the outcome of the war would have been different (not that the Axis powers would have won the war - none of the Axis powers had more than a fraction of the resources [men, materiel, industrial capacity] of the Allies, but the war would have gone on longer and the post war political landscape would have been very different)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold

It's not raining, yet but it should start by 10.  The groceries have come so I can eat for another week and the dates on the fresh stuff will work out well.

I didn't sleep well last night, if only I could work out why it sometimes happens.  I was probably doing things on the computer until too near bedtime.

If the weather does what the forecast says then after my walk I'll be indoors for the rest of the day.  I might sort out some clothes to go to a charity shop and other bits for the tip or I may do some modelling or I might do not much at all.  It is hard making decisions when there is nothing very urgent to do!

I shall be very pleased when we finally get some dry weather, I am avoiding some single track roads as the verges are so wet that if I meet another car I might get stuck in the mud getting past them.  The rule seems to be that if you drive something big, especially a 4x4, then you can't go onto the verge, only smaller cars can do that.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Because we are living in the age when “computers make life easier”. 

No. They don’t. Not in every situation. How many “accounts” do I have in order to shop online?  Almost one for everywhere I go; a few places allow me to “check out as a guest” without harvesting details such as my email address or phone number. 

Electronic payments do not always save time, do nothing for job retention and discriminate against those unable for any reason to use cash. 

It is still a daily occurrence in London for visitors to offer bus drivers cash for fare payment. London buses have not taken cash for years. You can buy a Travelcard for cash at a retail outlet but only if one is nearby and they are now only sold for “all zones” meaning you are probably paying a lot more than you need to for trips confined to the central area. 

It should be easy enough to adopt a single-coin cash payment option. Or two coins. Such that no change has to be given. London buses charge £1.75 per trip; most others in England charge the current £2 cap per trip. Hand the driver a £2 coin or two £1 coins (the latter being far more commonly found in pockets) and hop on. Drivers may not even have to pay in as they once did if a coin vault system was in use; that is emptied by security staff at the garage. 

Electronic systems have their place. But there must always be a KISS option as well. 

Good morning all. Speech over. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:
13 hours ago, Hroth said:

I feel sorry for Tasmania, no corners at all...

There's Cosy  Corner in The Bay Of Fires...

Tassie also has the delightfully-named Eggs & Bacon Bay 

image.png.2b3dbfaa46bd72fc29d6599bb8b42db4.png

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1