The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

image.png.d7a140c6624c7a163ec01bc1b5a8a91f.png

I’m sure that diagram once appeared in an exam question on Kirchhoff’s Law.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I'm certainly not going to post up the location for all to see as that would be improper , but I will admit

that @New Haven Neil and @The Q have been treated to same degree of interest .    😎

We're not hard to spot if you know a few details.  The garden railway is clearly visible, but the photos are very old, had two different cars since that was taken and I've had this one 6 years.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Wind finally eased, off to Hroth's presumably!  70mm of rain in our gauge, lot of flooding and trees down, local road to me closed with flooding.

The wind has slackened here too, now its bucketing down, having remained more or less dry through the blow....

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I am not sure I agree with ID's comments that all Indian meals are healthy. It may be genetic but there does seem an awful lot of early heart attacks and heart conditions among certain populations. An ex-colleague from the Parsee community has recently had a double or triple heart by-pass in his 40s and he seemed to regard it as fairly common for his folk. But to be fair, I don't think Parsee cuisine is so big on vegetarian meals.

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Some of my "pakistani -west yorkshire" cricket mates suffer from type 2 diabetes. They are not obese but eat some  interesting foods... including some seriously sugary Puddings...

Baz

Many years ago I worked with one of Britain's (and the world's) top diabetologist who was based in Manchester.

After one meeting in Manchester he took me out to dinner in (I think it is called) "Little India". As we were driving to dinner we passed many shops selling very, very sugary, high carbohydrate sweets. He explained that he got an awful lot of diabetic patients from the Indian sub continent population of Manchester.

This, he asserted, was not only due to the familial and genetic factors present in this population, but also because of the easy access to sweets and sweetmeats that originally (back in the Indian subcontinent) were often quite expensive and thus only eaten on special occasions, but in Manchester they were cheap and readily available. And as we know a high carbohydrate diet (in the form of sugars) is not terribly good for anyone at risk for diabetes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

After a bumpy descent into Zürich, A quick tarmac transfer and priority immigration and customs (very fast) I emerged into the rain and got the SBB train I was hoping to catch. So home soon.

After a splendid dinner yesterday, I passed up on breakfast and had a lunch - fish & chips at one of London's less expensive chains - though at £17.50 @polybear would probably disagree and have to go and lie down having come all over faint.

IMG_4413.jpeg.c31ad8f0127d0a63651ee34494e9afad.jpeg

It was well..... alright, but rather greasy (in a "can grease my suitcase wheels" kinda way).

I've had Tom Kerridge's fish and chips (at twice the price) and they were flawless - as you'd hope they'd be at that price. The price also reflects the quality of the ingredients (in this case line-caught fish, which ain't cheap).

I've eaten at a number of restaurants owned by "TV personality" chefs, the ones that really know how to cook and have the awards and Michelin stars to prove it were superb (Tom Kerridge, Heston Blumenthal), others like Carluccio's and Jamie's Italian were pretty abysmal and incredibly pricey for what you got. Hell, I can cook Bucatini alla Puttanesca better than Jamie's Italian - and I'm a rank amateur.

And it seems that I'm not the only one critical of Jamie's culinary skills.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

That's fish and chips?  Phooey.

Mutant fish and chips I thought. We didn’t stay out long on our trek this morning but the storm subsided around lunchtime so we set out from our cosy wood fire lounge and went get something to eat. We both had fish and chips, served with tartare sauce and mushy peas. We ordered “small cod” but it still overhung the plate. Batter was made with Thwaites ale apparently. Very good. Chips were under the cod and covering the rest of the plate, big chips made from real potato. £15.50, venue was 1723 former coaching inn. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

IMG_4413.jpeg.c31ad8f0127d0a63651ee34494

18 minutes ago, BoD said:

Fish?  Looks more like a battered lobster.

Accursed is the mutant!!!

Not a patch on the fish'n'chips* I had from a proper chippie on Bonfire Night weekend!

Fish twice the size, at least four times as many chips...

Burp!

(The few "mushy peas"** in the photo look as if they're clinging together for protection!)

* Fish freshly battered and fried, freshly chipped spuds chucked in the fryer before our eyes.

** Thats what I think they're supposed to be...

Edited by Hroth
Just a bit more.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Some areas of the world suffer badly with Type 2 diabetes. Some of my "pakistani -west yorkshire" cricket mates suffer from type 2 diabetes. They are not obese but eat some  interesting foods... including some seriously sugary Puddings...

Baz

Has @Barry O seen this?  Six wickets in six balls:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/67401054

35 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

That's fish and chips?  Phooey.

Anywhere that serves chips in an old tin gets marked down in this Bear's Book - it's just a sneaky way of the Chef being a tightar5e.

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

IMG_4413.jpeg.c31ad8f0127d0a63651ee34494

(The few mushy peas in the photo look as if they're clinging together for protection!)

Mushy Peas?  Oh yes, hiding behind the tall chip at the back.

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

!..., freshly chipped spuds chucked in the fryer before our eyes.

That explains the soggy chip-shop chips. Thick chips have to be cooked twice: the first time at a lower temperature to cook the interior and the second time at a higher temperature to get the crunchy exterior.

With French Fries/Skinny Fries You can get away with a single fry at a higher temperature as the chip/french fry is thin enough to cook through in one frying.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

After a bumpy descent into Zürich, A quick tarmac transfer and priority immigration and customs (very fast) I emerged into the rain and got the SBB train I was hoping to catch. So home soon.

After a splendid dinner yesterday, I passed up on breakfast and had a lunch - fish & chips at one of London's less expensive chains - though at £17.50 @polybear would probably disagree and have to go and lie down having come all over faint.

IMG_4413.jpeg.c31ad8f0127d0a63651ee34494e9afad.jpeg

It was well..... alright, but rather greasy (in a "can grease my suitcase wheels" kinda way).

I've had Tom Kerridge's fish and chips (at twice the price) and they were flawless - as you'd hope they'd be at that price. The price also reflects the quality of the ingredients (in this case line-caught fish, which ain't cheap).

I've eaten at a number of restaurants owned by "TV personality" chefs, the ones that really know how to cook and have the awards and Michelin stars to prove it were superb (Tom Kerridge, Heston Blumenthal), others like Carluccio's and Jamie's Italian were pretty abysmal and incredibly pricey for what you got. Hell, I can cook Bucatini alla Puttanesca better than Jamie's Italian - and I'm a rank amateur.

And it seems that I'm not the only one critical of Jamie's culinary skills.

What Jamie Oliver does do well is produce recipes that work for the home cook - not always the case with some of the tv chefs. The chains that you criticised were just that, chains, and I think have both gone bust, although Antonio Carluccio had long sold up. I would agree that Jamie’s Italian was not all that.

I have enjoyed meals at a Heston restaurant and also Michel Roux, Richard Corrigan, Gordon Ramsay/Jason Atherton and Niklas Ekstedt’s was interesting too. There are other TV chef’s places I have been too as well, which I have enjoyed and one or two which I have been disappointed in!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Call them "mushy peas"???? Yer what. Yorkshire caviar has much larger peas. Chips in a tin... nope.. and you need more than that.. what sort of fish was it? We prefer haddock to cod..  and wheres the scraps? Tommy and tartare sauce? Plus lemon...obviously they know their F&C  are going to be greasy.

Is the mayo for the very small onion rings???

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Casualty rates in Germany were horrendous in the final months of the war as the regime sought ever more desperate measures, imposed a savage approach to maintaining discipline, cities continued to be bombed by the Allied Air forces (what had previously been a very high risk activity became almost a milk run for bomber crews as the Luftwaffe had been so degraded) and demands to fight to the end as Allied armies entered Germany. 

Although fighters were almost non existent by that time and losses were much reduced, I'd hardly describe sorties flown over areas defended by Luftwaffe flak batteries, particularly using the 88mm guns, as 'milk runs'. That was sometimes a phrase used somewhat ironically by the aircrew but it was in comparison with the horrendous losses on raids such as Nuremburg in 1944.

Dave

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

At Arnhem  my old man reckoned you could walk across the flack and cannon shells... and, unlike others..  you got no medal to thank you for your attendance in unarmed "Transport Sqadrons" unless you got a posthumous VC (Flight Lieutenant Lord)  or a DFC for becoming "flak happy" (Jimmy Edwards DFC).

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10