The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

If they serve me well and provide a good meal they will get a tip at the end - but not ordering one beforehand!

Tips seem to be like band encores. Once a way of showing appreciation , now just expected. To the point that bands keep their biggest hits for the assumed obligatory encore. 

Tipping here is not  endemic, its usually limited to "tip jars" on bars and at checkouts. The opportunity to tip has  probably dropped with the reduction in the use of cash, it was usual to say "keep the change" or hand back some of it. Not really easy to do when you swipe your card.

That said, service staff here get a fair wage - Google says the average hospitality worker gets  £37,000 equivalent, plus there are  penalty rates, double time on weekends etc so they don't need to rely on the largesse of Nigel Knobhead trying to impress his entitled  chums by tipping the waitress  10 bucks for bringing them the 500 buck bottle of champagne.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

It was pouring with rain when I first woke so I went back to sleep.  At least when I woke again there was a bit of light.  The rain has stopped for now but should restart within the next hour and then last until after tea time.  There is also a yellow warning for wind but where I am is right on the edge of it, at the moment it is just a gentle breeze, the steam from central heating boilers is rising almost vertically,

The housework has been done along with the first load of washing which is now drying in the machine.  A second lot will be done later.

Apart from that not much has happened, I think I may give my daily walk a miss today unless the rain stops before dusk.  I do need to start to get more photos ready for flickr as my stock is depleted.  I may get on to the 1990's soon.  I still have several thousand ready to restore in my thread on here.

But next on the list is a much needed mug (or two) of coffee - simply made in a cafetiere, no milk, no sugar along with one biscuit - probably a Kit Kat today.

David  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Today is a day for resurrecting the plans for the kitchen refurb, as the plan is to make a start on this in January. So, it’s now running round trying to see if/when all the kitchen units etc can be delivered, so a start date can be set. 

Back later

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

On diabetes, SE Asia has a problem because the diet is based on either rice or noodles. If a meal doesn't have rice it'll have noodles and vice versa. The fact so much of the food is fried can't help health either. We are friendly with a local doctor and she was saying it is hugely frustrating with Malay uncles especially  (in Singapore auntie and uncle are used as a term of affection/respect for all older people regardless of whether they're related). Apparently obesity and diabetes are especially prevalent in the Malay community,  when they're admitted to hospital our friend shared that their dieticians do a lot of work to try and improve their diet, the hospital food is designed to support healthy living etc but then at every visiting period families deliver noodle and rice dishes. 

That said, Malay/Indonesian food is superb so I can't really blame them for eating well.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Heres a story that might  bring a bit of cheer to start the day, since its probably raining.

Until you realise that the  Magpie is just luring them into a false sense of security, then it'll have their eyes out, as is their want.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Can you keep Braverman and Farage there please?

When Farage gets ejected from the jungle, perhaps he and Braverman could be exported to Rwanda for a "fact-finding" mission?

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

OK, having got my mini-rant out of the way, good morning!

It is far from good here, 8c, 70mph winds, lot of damage, trees down etc.  @PhilJ W the reason we aren't on UK Met Office weather warnings, is we're not part of the UK, so they ignore our existence.   FraggleMet has us on amber warning for gales, coastal overtopping and heavy rain.  They're not wrong, the rock is currently under way northerly at about 5 knots towards the Isle of Whithorn in Jockalia.  The No-Koi-any-more pond is flooded up the the railway, so the L&L once more is closed.  Not that there's been a train for months.

There is a need to go out to the Bright Lights of Royal Ramsey today at some point, which I would rather not, however life waits for no Fraggle.  

The wind here has suddenly picked up, so it looks like the weather over you has moved/extended to the mainland...

Whoopeee...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

(in Singapore auntie and uncle are used as a term of affection/respect for all older people regardless of whether they're related)

Same with the indigenous community here. Elders are aunties and uncles.

Elder

An Aboriginal (or Torres Strait Islander) Elder is someone who has gained recognition as a custodian of knowledge and lore, and who has permission to disclose knowledge and beliefs. In some instances Aboriginal people above a certain age will refer to themselves as Elders. It is important to understand that, in traditional Aboriginal culture, age alone doesn't necessarily mean that one is recognised as an Elder. Aboriginal people traditionally refer to an Elder as 'Aunty' or 'Uncle'. However, it is recommended that non-Aboriginal people check the appropriateness of their use of these terms.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The wind here has suddenly picked up, so it looks like the weather over you has moved/extended to the mainland...

Whoopeee...

Mainland?  This IS the mainland.  The Calf of Man is the.......Oh, you mean the adjacent island!😇

It's certainly wild here now, decided not to risk going out as it is proper nasty. Take care folks.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Good morning  afternoon all,

Late on parade here although I was up and about at 06.30 but other things kept me away from here.

Wet and windy earlier but now it's sunny and windy.  Severe weather alert for thunderstorms from 05.00 tomorrow.

We ventured out to Sainsbury's earlier as The Boss wanted to get  few things to top up the freezer.

I've been comparing Meerkats for car insurance and I've got some cheaper quotes although they are still almost 50% more than I'm currently paying.  Still that's a lot better than what the AA are demanding.   I've got a bit more research to do as some insurers aren't on the comparison sites.

Next big task and expenditure is to find some new furniture, sofa and armchair(s), as ours are well past their sell by date and now somewhat tatty and becoming uncomfortable.   Not looking forward to that but a visit to a couple if furniture emporiums is pencilled in for tomorrow.

Soon be time for lunch,

Have a good one. (or what's left of it)

Bob.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

That's where I get annoyed - the hard working staff should be paid a decent wage that reflects their skills and work rate.

I totally agree. There's something intrinsically perverse and wrong about people in work having to depend on tips or, worse, have their appallingly low salaries topped up by the Government (apparently most UC claimants are in work). If people were paid appropriately well then tips and Government top-ups would be needed.

Low wage economies can work: our Tokyo correspondent railsquid explained that Japan was a low-wage economy, but a low waged employee can still live well (he commented that in Tokyo someone like a shop assistant could afford to live in Tokyo - albeit not in places like Ginza or around Tokyo Station).

What I liked about Japan was that service was flawless (unlike the grudgingly resentful service sometimes seen in the UK) but not servile and tips are not expected or even wanted. Service has a completely different ethos in Japan and it shows.

Returning to low wages, one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life was to move to Switzerland. Not only did my salary quadruple when I moved to Switzerland in 1989, but my quality of life has also improved beyond all recognition. Switzerland isn't perfect, what is, but it's probably one of the best countries in the world to live in right now.

However, uprooting yourself and moving lock, stock and barrel to a foreign country whose language you don't know for an unknowable length of time is a move that I think not everyone would (or could?) be willing to entertain (although to be completely honest, I was a fluent speaker of one of the official Swiss languages upon my arrival [Italian])

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Our next door neighbour's daughters who we've known all their lives are now both in their twenties but still refer to us as Aunty Chris and Uncle Bob.  We've told them that there is no need for that but they insist.  They still do the same with all the friends of their parents.  (And they are as English as I am)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just keep them in Australia?

La Braverman hasn't opted for jungle rehab yet, and I'm not sure I want to see her prancing around in a swimsuit on the covers of the tabloid press!

Anyhow, she was keen on sending people to Rwanda so it'd be nice to let her experience a bit of extraordinary rendition.

Or give her a tent for her lifestyle change....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Oh, re: diabetes, I don't have to take any medication for it.  Just an annual blood test and eye screening 👍👍👍

Not to be confused with ice creaming , which I guess would not be a good thing.

• Funny 10

We had appointments at the docs this morning, we got there with one detour, but getting back involved a tricky paddle back through some large puddles, I know the route well. so we got through, but will not be going out again. Our occasional lake has re-appeared at the side of the river.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16