The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I couldn't find the alignment pins, and velcro will have to wait until it's aligned.

Various other things were glued, and the final show bill was paid.

Ben cut short his walk, which was good, because it was drizzling, windy, my right ankle hurt and still does.

Various bits of parallel metal were placed on the first unit pair of unmentionables, rough placing is now worked out.  Can't start fixing as I've left my mini drill in the Landrover which I collect from MOT tomorrow.

It's good to have a faithful canine companion:

_a988219a-8d01-42a8-8264-69ef2f941ede.jpg.f142fd8b712cd9cfc8e8447de1446d2c.jpg

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not long got back from Tess Coes after shopping for a few bits and pieces but I had to cut it short as the knee started playing up. The only thing I didn't get were biscuits which may be a good thing as my sugar consumption is a bit on the high side.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It's good to have a faithful canine companion:

_a988219a-8d01-42a8-8264-69ef2f941ede.jpg.f142fd8b712cd9cfc8e8447de1446d2c.jpg

My dear boy, there's no way I'd do that to a doggy, and since 30th june 1911, protection of animals bill.

§If any person shall use, or cause or procure, or being the owner permit, to be used, any dog for the purpose of drawing or helping to draw any cart, carriage, truck, or barrow, on any public highway, he shall be liable upon summary conviction in respect of the first offence to a fine not exceeding two pounds, and in respect of the second or any subsequent offence to a fine not exceeding five pounds.

I suspect the fines are higher now..

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My dear boy, there's no way I'd do that to a doggy, and since 30th june 1911, protection of animals bill.

§If any person shall use, or cause or procure, or being the owner permit, to be used, any dog for the purpose of drawing or helping to draw any cart, carriage, truck, or barrow, on any public highway, he shall be liable upon summary conviction in respect of the first offence to a fine not exceeding two pounds, and in respect of the second or any subsequent offence to a fine not exceeding five pounds.

I suspect the fines are higher now..

Good point, The Q. But what about the dog sports such as Dog Scootering or Bikejoring? How are they regarded by the that particular legislation - or are there specific and newer laws to cover dog sports? (a serious question BTW)

Start_of_a_Bikejoring_race.jpg.6fd1a0a4d3eab1c736373c33cb3d1325.jpg

Edited by iL Dottore
added text for clarity
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

The laws on draught animals as applied to dogs do not apply to private land.

They only come under the laws applying to general welfare of animals.

• Informative/Useful 16

16 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

… after 14 months of driving on the right, it did take a quick bit of brain recalibration.

How about after 36 years (our last visit to the UK)? On our next visit (whenever that might be!), and into my 4th quarter-century, I’m seriously considering not hiring a car and just using public transit. 

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Unless you wish to be confined to major towns and cities, you'll find getting around without a car is difficult these days. I live just 20 miles from Norwich it's impossible other than by taxi to get there in less than 3 hours and definitely impossible to get there and back in a day by bus and or train..

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

I find that the danger period comes after a few months when you “think” you have it sussed and then some inner instinct rears it head. We had been living in the US for six months and all was well on the driving front. On a trip to Nova Scotia, I turned out of a car park with the family onboard, and merrily started driving down the road. Soon I met a car that was driving straight towards me on the wrong side of the road - only he wasn’t on the wrong side, he was on the right side (in both senses). I had to pull over and have a couple of minutes to let the adrenaline settle. I’ve never made that mistake since but I try very hard not to get complacent as a result.

I went on a day trip by coach to Belgium about ten years ago. When pulling out of one of the sites visited the coach driver made the same mistake and even his co-driver didn't realise he was on the wrong side of the road. I was sitting behind the co-driver and reminded the driver. Fortunately it was a quiet rural road with no other traffic.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Unless you wish to be confined to major towns and cities, you'll find getting around without a car is difficult these days.

We would be in Clydeside and London - both with good public transit. Elsewhere , we would have to rely on the relatives and friends we would be visiting for transport.

3 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

I find that the danger period comes after a few months when you “think” you have it sussed and then some inner instinct rears it head.

Soon I met a car that was driving straight towards me on the wrong side of the road - only he wasn’t on the wrong side …

I drove in Canada on a holiday in 1968. I found the most difficult thing to cope with, both in Canada and on returning to the UK, was driving on unmarked areas like gas station forecourts. I would just stop and let other drivers round me. 

The car driving position and controls being differently arranged did help. My cousin, who was with me in 1968, rode motorbikes in the UK. He would not do it in Canada - he said that if he’d tried, he would have expected to be dead in a week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

I find that the danger period comes after a few months when you “think” you have it sussed and then some inner instinct rears it head. We had been living in the US for six months and all was well on the driving front. On a trip to Nova Scotia, I turned out of a car park with the family onboard, and merrily started driving down the road. Soon I met a car that was driving straight towards me on the wrong side of the road - only he wasn’t on the wrong side, he was on the right side (in both senses). I had to pull over and have a couple of minutes to let the adrenaline settle. I’ve never made that mistake since but I try very hard not to get complacent as a result.

I know that feeling.  Back in the early 90s I used to drive from ferry ports - Zeebrugge, Rotterdam or Esbjerg (Denmark) to Switzerland and Austria on holidays.

One day I left a German hotel in a very quiet village and had driven several miles without seeing any other traffic.  It was an unpleasant surprise when I went round a bend and found a bin lorry coming towards me on "my" side of the road. 

Fortunately I realised that I was on the left not the right and quickly moved over to the right hand side of the road.  As I passed the lorry the men were all laughing and pointing at me.

I didn't make the same mistake again.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16