The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I haven’t eaten in a restaurant in either Basel or Zürich for quite a while (I live in Basel) so my info is probably out of date. The Safran Zunft is a traditional Swiss restaurant in Basel, but they only have Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti (SFr 43 - so you’re looking at a SFr 80 meal).  Restaurant Hasenburg has a nice selection of Rösti + dishes, depending upon what “+” is, prices range from  SFr 29 to SFr 54.

Most Biez will serve Rösti in one form or another and whilst most will range from “OK” to “not bad” to (occasionally) “wow”, the chances of getting a really duff one is pretty low.

This might provide some food for thought: https://restaurantguru.com/rosti-Basel-m8658

Thank you for that information. I will be spending some time in Geneva, Basel and Zürich in November so good restaurant recommendations are very useful. On my last visit to Basel I visited Elsbethenstübli on Elisabethenstrasse which was very good indeed, but I will likely try Restaurant Hasenburg this time. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

At the last Brains Trust, after we were thrown out of the pub, we moved on to iD's London Club:

_7775c1db-09da-4311-addf-19d8158ef9ef.jpg.d7291d3f6c686ba3b6560024758da7c3.jpg

I have been asked by the staff to let them know in advance if I'll be bringing the Brains Trust back to the club; they said that they'll need to ensure that everyone has donned proper protective equipment before we arrive....

• Funny 16

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

A little something that I feel sure will put a smile on @PupCam Puppers' face:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/31/edward-colston-statue-protest-bristol-xahra-saleem-fundraiser

No doubt numerous other fellow ER'ers will grin as well.

Be out in six months. First offence- mental illness - etc etc

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

sIMG_9876.jpg.49d46f60d59cf7ce1b821affedbc8601.jpg

The "sculpture" commemorating Bedlington Ironworks.  It is made from rails.

Nice bit of weathering!

But 1st Radius curves are of no use to anyone....

🙃

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Purple Chips!

I thought they were carrots. I haven’t been in a big supermarket for some years but noticed on my visit to Sainsbury last week they had purple carrots on sale. I have eaten them before though. The QM2 chef seemed fond of unusual coloured vegetables. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The hip is playing up again, not hurting very much but seizing up. I had difficulty in trying to get into the car when I came out of Tess Coes.

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I thought they were carrots. I haven’t been in a big supermarket for some years but noticed on my visit to Sainsbury last week they had a purple carrots on sale. I have eaten them before though. The QM2 chef seemed fond of unusual coloured vegetables. 

Actually the normal colour of carrots is a very pale cream similar to parsnips. They only occasionally produced the orange and purple ones (a genetic anomaly) but some Victorian gardeners bred them for the colours and the orange ones were so popular that they became the norm.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Haven't you heard of fusion cookery?

I worked at JET which was Fusion.. but I can't remember seeing any Chefs.. Mad Nuclear Physicists.. yep but no Chefs...

🙃

Baz

• Funny 17

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The hip is playing up again, not hurting very much but seizing up. I had difficulty in trying to get into the car when I came out of Tess Coes.

Actually the normal colour of carrots is a very pale cream similar to parsnips. They only occasionally produced the orange and purple ones (a genetic anomaly) but some Victorian gardeners bred them for the colours and the orange ones were so popular that they became the norm.

I think that the purple ones are older than that. The orange ones came from the Dutch in the 17th century- makes sense I guess.

Wikipedia has quite an interesting little piece on the history of the carrot - and the tantalising hint that the Romans may have eaten pale ones. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot

I think we or at least I forget that veg has changed a lot over time in the same way that fruit has. The influx of new world veg - including of course the Peruvian mountain curly fry - has meant we have forgotten half the vegetables our forebears used to eat.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Purple Chips!

Just so.., fusion

Just so... "cutting edge"

Just so... Shoreditch

Just so... Hipster!

Bear's tastebuds mission:

"To boldly go where no tastebud  has gone before...."

Scottish Blue tatties, look a lot like that

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

... In former times, such as Watergate, which saw the demise of Richard Nixon's presidency, the words ‘expletive deleted’ would have been used, but The Guardian is quoting the evidence verbatim., showing just what we’re led by. We were not well served, and still aren’t being. ,,,

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/31/covid-delays-in-decisions-and-the-blame-game-you-couldnt-make-it-up/

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

A little something that I feel sure will put a smile on @PupCam Puppers' face:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/31/edward-colston-statue-protest-bristol-xahra-saleem-fundraiser

No doubt numerous other fellow ER'ers will grin as well.

I''m not certain it did actually.   

I'm just saddened by the whole rotten, underlying affair but I'm mighty glad  she got found out AND the law actually did something to punish her wrong doing.

"She said young people had lost trust in them and they made the decision to close."

- As I said on here the other day,  trust is hard won and easily lost and in this case she's wrecked a group who were apparently helping people.  Well done - not!

"He said there was little or no planning in what she did and she spent the money foolishly."

- Oh, so if she'd spent the money wisely that would have been OK then?   🙄

You have to wonder ......

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10