The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from the glue factory.

@iL Dottore has just been mentioning difficulty in obtaining quality glue.  Just thought I'd mention that....

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

We have always adopted the “change the clocks and change the batteries” approach which ensures that the toast alarms are always using reasonably fresh batteries. 

The Hill of Strawberries CO monitor was different. It was a “tamper-evident” model which required a small tool to break into without actually breaking the device. It started to beep intermittently and the battery warning lamp (the yellow one) blinked. We had to get Dan Dan the Gas-fitter Man to change the battery!  

Bear's CO Alarm was fitted with a 10-year battery.  So what did the b'sterds do when the clock struck ten?  Yup, they stopped it working, despite the fact that it was (a) working quite happily, and (b) there was no "low battery" warning.  T0ssers.

As for smoke alarms, well the vast majority are fitted with 10 year batteries; very few actually reach that milestone though, but the company are very good in sending out free replacements.  Those that do reach the 10 year life keep working quite happily afterwards.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

A purely hypothetical question......

Would a Mini Pizza (just for argument's sake let's assume Pepperoni) with new potatoes & mint sauce and peas be considered "weird"?

Just askin' for a friend you understand.....

No. Different - definitely. Unconventional - undoubtedly. But I wouldn't class it as 'weird'. Unless of course the new pots etc. were extra toppings? And I think even then any doubts would be culinary rather than based on your ... ah ... friend's ... choices. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
IT glitch, arrrgh
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear your news @Dave Hunt.

Very sorry to learn the family member's canine injury. Hope it heals ok @BSW01.

Belated birthday wishes @jamie92208.

' morning afternoon* all from red dragon land.

Forgot about one of our clocks - the one on the bedroom radio which I forgot is manual. Thinking it was a bit dark to be 07:30, I checked my 'phone and it was only 06:30! <<poop!>> I snoozed for another hour and cancelled the 'phone's alarm a few minutes before it went off, then gave myself another 10 minutes before getting up!

Time to drag myself off the chair and sort out some chores. Done.✔️

* Later...

Sun and showers, though the pine cone pundits stated, quite clearly: "Dry." So no G word. Poop!

Munching over lunchtime toastie so not going anywhere for a bit, so if I remember to post this, now, I'll be able to do some more catch up on here.

Take care. Be good. Try and...er...remember...

Polly

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

A purely hypothetical question......

Would a Mini Pizza (just for argument's sake let's assume Pepperoni) with new potatoes & mint sauce and peas be considered "weird"?

Just askin' for a friend you understand.....

You do have some weird friends....  🤔

You should suggest to your friend that they stick to the curley fries with pizza and get some lamb chops if they fancy new pots, peas and mint sauce....  😉

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Was he stabbed using a squirrel or stabbed because he had a squirrel?  

And was it a squirrel or a “skwerl”?  

Welcome to Moan-day where these and other fundamental questions shall be addressed by that most erudite and knowledgable bunch of folks known as the Early Risers.

As long as the Squirrel wasn't a Gwiwer..

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Anyone stealing bicycles commits an offence, surely? 

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 13.55.47.png

When it comes to Singaporean people and the English language it's best to just accept things are what they are......it's English,  just not as we know it🤣

The first rule is that if it's possible to get away with using a single word then use a single word. Hence the famous Singaporean 'can' and 'correct '. Then there's all the borrowed words like 'shiok' (good). 

The one I avoid is 'lah', which is added to words for emphasis, such as ' can lah'.I don't want to sounds like one of those non-British people that thinks the done thing is to use the word bl**dy in conversation and end up sounding like complete tools because they don't get when it would be used.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

No. Different - definitely. Unconventional - undoubtedly. But I wouldn't class it as 'weird'. Unless of course the new pots etc. were extra toppings? And I think even then any doubts would be culinary rather than based on your ... ah ... friend's ... choices. 

Ah...er.......

It's quite, er, possible, now that a large batch of new pots have been cooked and are now officially designated as "left overs" then, er, some "may" appear as toppings on the next (proper) pizza......

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When I was community constable for our village someone half inched my personal bike from outside the Chinese takeaway.  I found it 10 minutes later.  Nothing officially happened to the perpetrator but it never happened again. 

Jamie

And unofficially?

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH #1........

Bear's Car Insurance renewal (AA) arrived....

Last Year:  £240

This Year:  £415....🤬

Oh  CARP and double CARP.  My Car Insurance is due for renewal in December, I'm also with the AA and already paying over £400!  Looks like I'll be comparing Meerkats.

• Friendly/supportive 16

49 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ah...er.......

It's quite, er, possible, now that a large batch of new pots have been cooked and are now officially designated as "left overs" then, er, some "may" appear as toppings on the next (proper) pizza......

Slice the tatties and fry them, delicious, especially if cooked in the pan with some bacon

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I insure with Swintons and never have had any problems, even when someone pulled out and scraped the side of my car. I also have NCB protection as there's a lot of uninsured drivers out there. I knew a chap who was a very senior person at Norwich Union (now Aviva) who told me that the insurance business is not there for the customers benefit.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

While I had coffee I watched Homes under the Hammer which kept me sitting quietly for a while,  Then I saw an odd looking notification on my phone, it didn't appear as a text or an email so I assume it was spam - about a payment due shortly so it got deleted unopened.  Meanwhile I shall keep an eye on my accounts.

After lunch I sorted out what I thought was the rubbish in the garage, it all went in the bin along with a few other bits and pieces, it only took about half an hour.  

Then I decided to have a quick look in a nearby shop followed by a trip to the Quayside and the beach.  Some photos may appear here later when I have sorted them out.

I found out how to change the time on the car's clock. You press menu on the big screen, then clock, then select Daylight Saving Time on/off.  So that was easy.

I have to say that I am happy about going back to GMT, I rather like the long evenings in cold weather, as I don't feel guilty doing "indoor" activities and with the curtains closed the house always feels cosy.

David

• Like 17