The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

27 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And also from here.  

The first day of adjusted daylight hasn't really taken us by surprise.  His Furship, however, was up and about an hour earlier and was looking for dinner an hour earlier than has been his recent custom.  The perils of having a pet on diurnal time with humans on horological time.  

We have checked and re-checked Dr. SWMBO's travel arrangements.  She is off to Montreal on Tuesday by way of an overnight train trip from hereabouts tomorrow.  That will be the last train scheduled to run up through Cornwall before some changes to the signalling system which enforce - for reasons probably known to someone somewhere - a ten day shutdown of the line.  Backalong you could have done it with pilotment and chaps with flags.  Progress?  

Ah yes but that would have put operatives in danger and we can't have that can we. Instead we will just inconvenience thousands of people while we faff around - other technical phrases are available, sloshing some paint on the signals and pretending that this will improve the service no end. Me cynical I couldn't possibly comment.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Very sorry to hear your news Dave.  Unfortunately life has a very nasty habit of juxtaposing good and bad experiences, a lesson I learnt when I was still at school.  

On a brighter note; congratulations and VSBWs to @jamie92208 on another lap of the sun.   Keep them coming!

ION

A lovely autumnal chug to the Danish Camp was had this morning on the little Beeza.  It seems to be going very nicely but I do hope I'm not empting fate.      The sky was blue, the sun was shining and there was a distinct nip in the air but it was alright, Puppers was in "Thermals" mode.   Mrs Puppers says I look like Max Wall when so equipped but fortunately no one else has to observe such a sight as they hidden by the usual proper "bikers leathers" I always wear - dress for the slide, not the ride and all that.    And I'm definitely not going to be cold for lack of layers.

Unfortunately the sun and blue sky had been replaced by dull, ominous, dark grey clouds when it came to the return journey.  In places it had clearly tipped it down very recently, but the first drop of rain wasn't actually felt until I was within about 400 yards of home.    So the bike was swiftly deposited in the garage before the Heavens opened.    Timed to perfection I'd say.  I may have mentioned before, I don't "do" wet on a motorcycle these days.

Despite the extra hour in bed last night you find Puppers rather sleepy so I think an early night is called for.

Night All!

Does Puppers have the obligatory white scarf flapping in the wind as he pups putters his way through Puppershire?

A photo as evidence would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Tonights dinner was beef casserole with dumplings, very nice. Speaking of food, to avoid Strictly come prancing I switched over to BBC2 and watched Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico. The lady in question was visiting the Mexican state of Veracruz tasting the various local dishes. The principal crops of the region are coffee, bananas and vanilla (which is native to the region). She partook of an interesting meal of chicken cooked in a vanilla sauce followed by banana fritters and vanilla cream for dessert. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It got so dark just before lunch that I switched on the light over the stairs.

We are right at the point, (close to half-way between* equinox and solstice) where the apparent rate of change of sunset starts to slow down as we approach the solstice.

You can visualize this in the analemma - the locus of the apparent position of the sun - at the same (solar) time every day.

With today being bright and sunny, the length of the shadows and lower angle of the sun has be quite noticeable to me.

* Exactly Halfway is about November 6. The quarter and cross-quarter days are a few days off the celestial observations - All Hallows/All Souls being the cross-quarter day on November 1.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico

After the success of Stanley Tucci's "Searching for Italy", produced by RAW TV*, Warner Bros. Discovery launched a similar show with Eva Longoria for CNN.

* A British company 

For what it's worth, Executive Producers for Searching for Mexico are Eva Longoria, Ben Spector and Stanley Tucci with RAW’s Tom Barry, Eve Kay and Jess Orr. Amy Entelis, Lyle Gamm and Jon Adler are the Executive Producers for CNN Original Series. PR here.

• Informative/Useful 9