The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

ALL custard? Or just that custard that comes from a packet/tin?

There is a huge difference between custard from a packet (mostly cornstarch, flavourings and annatto colouring), and a proper custard (or crème anglaise) which is made from just egg yolks, sugar, heavy cream and a vanilla pod (or vanilla essence/extract).

You can also have savoury custards: a particular favourite of Mrs iD is my version of Tom Kerridge’s lo-carb moussaka, which is made with a cheese custard as a topping and which is spectacularly more-ish

all (sweet) custards. It's the cream and milk - I think - but i will have ice cream. And I will have quiche and would probably go for the moussaka if you didn't tell me!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Still alive.  Just.

I'd like to meet some of those covid deniers and cough over them and allow them to share in our misery, this really is a nasty disease. We haven't felt this ill for a long, long time, so bad we have watched Homes Under the Hammer.

Did you see a certain Bear in repose on the bed?

OK off to feel sorry for myself again for a while.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit windy out  blowing any clouds through quickly. At the moment its dry but heavy rain predicted about teatime. Emptied the washing machine and hung the washing indoors to dry.

• Like 14

Still alive.  Just.

I'd like to meet some of those covid deniers and cough over them and allow them to share in our misery, this really is a nasty disease. We haven't felt this ill for a long, long time, so bad we have watched Homes Under the Hammer.

My God, you really have got it bad!

If I were your attending doctor I would  arrange for immediate inhalation therapy - a suitably calibrated mixture of motorbike fumes, steam locomotive exhaust and single malt whisky fumes should be beneficial 😁

Amusingly, my appointment for the next covid inoculation has arrived for early next month - too late was the cry!  We're a bit behind the curve with that here this year, I'm on a priority due to some medical issues.

Unless medically contradicted, I’d still get the next scheduled CoVID inoculation anyway. I’ve had 4 so far and I should sign up for the next round (together with the yearly flu inoculation)

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Still alive.  Just.

I'd like to meet some of those covid deniers and cough over them and allow them to share in our misery, this really is a nasty disease.

Quite.

I was lucky inasmuch as CoVID wasn’t too bad to me and lasted about 10 days (the last bout of influenza I suffered was worse) although I did have a degree of “long CoVID” - (mostly fatigue) which is just now abating. The thing is, with the vaccination you can be seriously ill, but without the vaccination you can be seriously dead.

Those cretinous “anti-vaxxers” who claim that it’s no worse than the flu, clearly haven’t seen what influenza can do. Both can be devastating and fatal diseases (ask those ****** who claim that flu is no big deal, why are updated & new flu vaccines rolled out each year*? Or why the immunologically compromised and over 65s are strongly urged to get the yearly flu vaccine?)

Anyway, get well soon, both of you.

iD

* “to boost pharma company profits is NOT a valid answer!

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying hard not to laugh at work, I had better not bore people with the details but there's a classic case of turkey's voting for Christmas and then whinging about the consequences in the wonderful world of shipping. The EC and ports in Southern Europe didn't take seriously warnings that Port Said and Tangier Med are just as useful as Mediterranean trans-shipment hubs as ports like Goiai  Tauro, Valencia and Algeciras if there's suddenly a big financial incentive to move.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Gt. Uncle Bruno took this third option:

image.png.bd86938dc301fb7172fb6c2e0a74a0e0.png

He goes walkabout every Chrimbo for a stint at the local Garden Centre, which gives him a break from those bluddy schoolkids all takin' the p1ss and drawing cr@p pictures of him.

Out of curiosity, where is Uncle Bruno holed up?

It seems not to be a Museum in Britain due (a) the absence of broken “interactive audiovisual features”, (b) an absence of dumbed-down labels using large font and teeny, tiny, simple words - explaining the bleeding obvious, (c) it doesn’t seem to be “de-colonised” (d) I can’t see any “pushed-by-shoshul-meeja” b******s and (e) it’s clean and in good repair…

Or have my recent visits to London’s Science Museum, Natural History Museum, The Maritime Museum and IWM biased my opinion of museums in Britain somewhat???

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It seems not to be a Museum in Britain due (a) the absence of broken “interactive audiovisual features”, (b) an absence of dumbed-down labels using large font and teeny, tiny, simple words - explaining the bleeding obvious, (c) it doesn’t seem to be “de-colonised” (d) I can’t see any “pushed-by-shoshul-meeja” b******s and (e) it’s clean and in good repair…

Or have my recent visits to London’s Science Museum, Natural History Museum, The Maritime Museum and IWM biased my opinion of museums in Britain somewhat???

No, sometimes your characterisation is charitable, and the actuality is worse than can be imagined...

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Gt. Uncle Bruno hangs out at the Tring Branch of the NHM - he even heads up the "Galleries" page:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/tring/galleries.html

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Gt. Uncle Bruno hangs out at the Tring Branch of the NHM - he even heads up the "Galleries" page:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/tring/galleries.html

Thanks PB

It does look like the "London Luvvies" (other words are available) haven't yet wreaked havoc on this museum - definitely someplace I'd like to visit!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Looks like Hertfordshire to me. Tring probably.

Just noticed Mr Bears earlier answer. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Apparently one of the required qualifications is a Degree in Shed Management.....

Don't worry I took that as part my degree in Garages and there uses in unusual leisure occupations. It was one of the options. The other was Attics and there uses.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15