The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not had a steak for years, not sure why, used to love a T-bone.

T-bone was off-limits for some time during and after BSE. I never really got back into it. 

But a good filet mignon. Now there’s something to salivate over. And to save up for!  

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I think those sanitised bits of chuck in a polystyrene tray with cling film on tastes about the same as the packaging. Healthy ????

I am firmly of the opinion that one of the worst things for animal welfare is the disassociation of the meat from the animal. People should really know from where their food comes from. Cutting a bit off a cow, pig or sheep carcass in front of a customer (as in a traditional butcher) certainly reinforces the tie between animal and meat. Ditto for chicken. The best kind come plucked and eviscerated, but with head and feet attached and gizzards retained - there's a lot of good things you can get out of head, neck and feet (e.g. chicken stock) and chicken livers make a wonderful Pâté.

p.s. I questioned the use of the term "healthy" as most of that sort of chicken comes from battery farmed birds which, apart from not tasting of much, are reared in appalling conditions....

50 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I love farm fresh steak, but the cattle are not too happy when I approach them in the field with my big knife.

A man after my own heart! For years, when asked how I wanted my beef, my reply was always "just remove the moo". Nowadays, as age and infirmity take their toll, I tend to ask for medium-rare (but more towards rare than towards medium).

TBH I don't see the point of getting free-range, dry aged, rare breed beef if you're only going to incinerate it by cooking it medium-well or well-done.

I don't see the point of sauces for roast beef or steaks either. Unless overcooked and/or poor quality meat*, you need nothing more than horseradish and/or English mustard (none of this foreign Dijon nonsense either - it doesn't cut the mustard) for a good bit of Roast Beef or a Porterhouse Steak.

* according to the late US Chef Anthony Bourdain, no matter how good the butcher  (and supplier), every so often a restaurant gets a duff bit of steak. He claimed that rather than throw it away (and loose money) they'd set it aside for customers wanting the steak well-done. True? No idea, but certainly plausible...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Deer meat curry tonight from a zi char stall at the local MRT station, tip top. I think it's what others would call venison curry, but you don't argue with an auntie at a busy hawker stall.

The infuriating thing about Singaporean curry is it can mean almost anything. They don't differentiate with additional descriptors, it's just curry. I  would rate the best curry dishes I've eaten as Singaporean curry and have three regular stalls, each of which is completely different. I did ask the uncle who runs my favourite (Da Mei curry kitchen at Boon Lay) what types of curry it was and after giving me one of those looks of 'were you dropped on your head' he shared that him and his wife had been making it for decades after playing with a recipe handed down in the family. I tend to believe him as it is like nothing else I have eaten and it's a family stall with no other branches. I sometimes wonder how many such recipes are lost if children don't pick them up and they're never written down.

A relic of colonial times which lives on is that many curry's are served with brown gravy which is a variation of Worcestershire sauce. Another side which is common with curry is sambal, a chilli sauce made from fermented shrimp paste which varies in potency from nice and tasty to fully weaponized (something it shares with kimchi).

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

There was just such a case in the news in the last few weeks were a similarly affected passenger "let rip" right down the aisle on the aircraft; the Captain had to turn around and return to base as a result.

You can bet that if she does choose to fly then there will be extended periods where the seat belt sign is illuminated.

I'd be scanning the small print on the travel insurance then getting the Doc to sign off as unfit to fly.

That would be my preference and I think also my son's, I've already imagined the same scenario of being trapped in a tube whilst unwell - not just for her but also the other passengers.

You've got to think that would be the insurance company's preference too, as travelling may result in much higher costs - cut their losses on a refund of the cost of the holiday over the risk of hospitalisation / repatriation from the other side of the world let alone what might happen on the plane.

• Like 9
  • Agree 8

9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Is that real or an AI creation, the lack of a polar bear in heels makes it difficult to decipher 😁

Definitely not AI (burp!)

Although good, it wasn't the "fiery taste sensation" the menu made it out to be. Of course, this was a Swiss eatery and for most Swiss anything hotter than about 10 Scoville Units is unbearably "scharf"

Unless I'm cooking for a select few, for most of my Swiss friends I have to really dial back on the chillies 😢😫😠....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Eldest is meant to be departing on a belated honeymoon in less than 48 hours and his wife has been diagnosed with gastroentertis.

A&E state it's not their decision whether she flies or not with diarrhoea - just a little matter of two 8 hour flights with a 2 hour intermission in Qatar before dining on Thai food for two weeks.  Insurance are non-committal on anything, so it's off to the doctor in the morning if she is still bad.

Can't help but worry that a trip so far whilst already ill is not for the best and unfamiliar food at the best of times can be disturbing for the bowel let alone when you already have an illness.

Another option is to delay the outbound legs. If they decide on this option then make sure the airline is aware of this rather than just booking new outbound tickets and not showing up for the original date/time. Many airlines now cancel the inbound/return tickets automatically if there is a ‘no show’ for the outbound leg. Obviously there’s the possibility of a surcharge for a late change, but it will keep the trip ‘live’ if the upset is only a day or so.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Being of single persuasion I  go for small individual puds , picked up two of these the other day .

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255886418?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*MPX_PMAX_All_OT_All+Products_Online+Budget_1009392**255886418*&gclid=CjwKCAjws9ipBhB1EiwAccEi1JQYFclogeJf873Svd0uUZh8oUGdAnUyxARpsfDG55xFvMl1O4TUuxoC-V4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure about 'e' numbers or other preservatives used but the ' best before ' and not the  'use by' date ,

March , 2025 .

I wait until the day after Christmas when they sell off all the Christmas stuff at reduced price and put it in the cupboard for next year. My mum used to make all the Christmas puddings for friends and family, at one time a dozen in all. She used to make them about 15 months before they were required and they were put in a cool place to mature.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. Shopping done and stashed away and by the time that was done it was too dark for the G word so I had some eyelid inspection instead.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Watched the road crash investigation program on BBC2 this evening. Its mind boggling the kit that the police have at their disposal, such as 3D imaging cameras. The first one was a motorcycle colliding with a car pulling out of a side turning. It was not what you might think, inattention on the part of the car driver but the motorcyclist travelling at more than twice the 30mph limit. Add to the fact that the motorcyclist had no licence or insurance and the motorcycle was stolen and on false plates. The other one was where a car had lost control on a bend and collided with a bus shelter and then a tree. Again excessive speed was the cause and it turned out that he hadn't been wearing a seat belt and like the rider had no licence or insurance (and had been smoking cannabis). Both died as a result of their injuries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3