The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

After we got back from visiting Aditi's mum yesterday we watched a BBC documentary about George Harrison. I missed the first 30 minutes but Aditi had been watching that upstairs while allegedly sorting out ironing.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, sorry to hear of all your woes gents! Sounds like ERs are going through a bit of a battle at the moment.

I spent today doing something I've been meaning to try for a while now - recording a song properly*

Luckily I had been working on a new song recently so I had the perfect material to try it on. There are three instruments in this piece - each has had to be synced together which took a number of failed attempts and many hours work. It's a good job I don't give up too easily with things.

I'll post a Youtube link. if any of you can't access it I'll post it as an attachment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-VmvmbXL0

*properly as in using a drum beat from a keyboard and also a flute from the keyboard!

After we got back from visiting Aditi's mum yesterday we watched a BBC documentary about George Harrison. I missed the first 30 minutes but Aditi had been watching that upstairs while allegedly sorting out ironing.

Tony

You also missed the first 90 mins which was on Saturday. Bloody good programme. (iPlayer has it under the series title of "Arena".

PS: "Robin Hood" - Dick James (original tv series version).

I knew Dick (and his son Steven) and dreamed about him last night - Dick did not match his voice at all and was a genial, roly, poly type guy from Golders Green who became richer than Croesus due to The Beatles (he was their Music Publisher until his death when Steven sold the rights to Michael Jackson (and can you blame him).

For some reason I couldn't think of Dick James, but was instead fixating on Sid James. Mind you, Sid James would have made an interesting Robin Hood... Especially with that laugh...

Not really had much to log on over the last couple of days, been madly busy. Had our meeting with Audit Scotland today. No post meeting meeting in sight yet, thankfully.

Sorry to hear all of the MIL problems.

One of my friends called me today today to tell me his grandmother had passed away during the night, funeral's likely to be Friday. I stayed with his grandparents for a month while I was between flats in Edinburgh a few years ago, so I'll be going along on Friday.

Will try to catch the George Harrison programmes on iPlayer this week if I have time. Have to drive all the way across Edinburgh on Thursday to collect a parcel that ParcelFarce can't seem to deliver to me... And I had no intention of paying them £12 to deliver it on a Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

You also missed the first 90 mins which was on Saturday. Bloody good programme. (iPlayer has it under the series title of "Arena".

Thank you. I shall connect the laptop to the TV tomorrow.

Tony

Morning All,

It is a cold, dark and generally unpleasant November morning here. The temperature was around freezing when I drove to work a short time ago.

Sorry to hear about the MiL problems. It is amazing how a freak accident can cause some really unpleasant injuries - I hope your MiL makes a full and swift recovery Dd.

BoD - It is sad to hear of your MiLs continuing problems. Altzheimers (which I presume is what your MiL is suffering from) can be a terrible thing. That you thought to look in the oven for her teeth is an indication that you are used to dealing with such events. The mother of a friend used to constantly put her slippers in the fridge :(

It puts my problems into perspective.

In other news, I bought a packet of magnets last night. I am going to fit Kirby Couplers to a few of my wagons. I came to the alarming realisation at the weekend that I have never finished a layout! By that, I don't mean 100% finished - I have never got beyond the stage of track laying. It is about time that changed - and I think I am going to be building a layout about as small as it can feasibly be. That way, I may have a chance of actually getting something finished.

Have a good day everyone...

Dick only sang the title song, he didn't appear in the series. Sid James? "Carry on Robbing", maybe?!?

I dated Diana Robertson once - was she in the Harrison movie? She was his secretary after John Lennon was murdered. Beautiful voice, her Father was a Vice Chief Marshall of the RAF at the time.

My car broke down yesterday whilst in the parking lot of "Wally World" - only the second time in my life a car has left me stranded. It needs a new Throttle Body (fly by wire pedal type gizmo). Garage called me later and said total bill would be $2,072.00 - I only managed to persuade the guy to accept 10% off parts and labor for the throttle part (it also needs a 12K service).

Talking of In Laws - I lost my car keys about a year ago and eventually found them in the cheese section of my 'fridge......so what does that say about me?

Good Morning all!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold
I lost my car keys about a year ago and eventually found them in the cheese section of my 'fridge......so what does that say about me?

Only that your organisation is suspect - they should be in the salad drawer at the bottom.

Saddened to read of your ongoing problems with senior family members. It's tough having to deal with those situations and my thoughts are with you both. What's even more sobering is that could or will be us in another 10 or twenty years...

Decided I needed some exercise so went along to our local bowling alley last night to take up League Bowling once again. I used to bowl two or three times a week when I was in my 30's. Needless to say those glory days were just a distant memory and my knees are well and truly knackered this morning. Something else that will have to stay in the memory bank as the old bones just can't cope with the stresses on the joints.

Back to railway modelling then...

Off out to sample the new Jag XK-RS this morning, so that will be fun. Just need to watch out for Mr Plod...

daddy's little girl.

My little girl went to Sweden last night, rather than leave her car outside her flat she asked me to look after it.

"Is there any fuel in it" I asked, "No, in fact the yellow light has just come on, can you fill it up for me whilst I am away!"

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, The oktas look to be clearing a bit in these parts. Best of luck with the aged Ps chaps, that really is a tough job. Daughters and cars, don't get me started...

Today will be spent sorting out the puppy in between attempting to get Waton working. Much cleaning of tediously tiny N gauge wheels and track fettling is in order. I think I've got the electrics sorted (mostly). Ten days to go till it goes out to its first proper exhibition.

Will be bashing a few golf balls at the range this evening which is just an excuse to go to the pub for a couple of swift ones.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

I hope you're all safely belted in for take-off on page 747.

No further calamities on the MiL front.

Perhaps she is having a day or two off.

SWMBO took her keyboard with her as they like to hear her play.

Four hours allowing for encores.

Mostly stuff from the 1930s/40s.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Temperatures are in the freezing range again, so de-icing was required once again before driving to the station. Nothing much to report aside from that, though I am feeling I cannot quite stand the dreary atmosphere set by the thick fog we're having these days and which takes a while to be burned off.

Cheers everyone!

I'm going to cut out the middle man today, Don, (me) and go straight to a restaurant.

I see the idiot with the pet hippo has been killed by it.

Don't know how he survived this long.

One of a long list of very stupid people who put themselves at risk by anthropomorphically dealing with wild animals.

They don't come any wilder than hippos.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect Dd will be telling us about the pub menu unless Mrs Dd has requested a meal to be prepared for her homecoming.

We get lots of phone calls from Matthew. He has been a bit concerned about how useful this semester's courses are and showing concern for future employability. He isn't having any problems with the work though. Originally there were lots of option choices for this year but many of the ones he wanted to do disappeared. In the new year they start preparation for field work (New York) and do modules that are more "relevant". He has been fundraising for Children in Need this week. He is off to Manchester for a course on how to do research in the developing world later this week. As he managed to get himself to (and back from) rural Vietnam he should be able to get there. It wasn't that long ago that we used to worry about him going to Southend!

Tony

I see that Dd posted before I did and has confirmed that he won't be cooking!

Edited by Tony_S