The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I see Fraggle rock is about to be cut off from the UK..

Royal mail is scrapping that air route.

If Track Shack had still been around, that would have stuffed a lot of their great delivery service.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

On ships and fuel, LNG carriers use boil off gas. In older ships the gas is combusted in boilers to generate steam for steam turbines, in newer ships it is combusted in gas Diesel or gas Otto engines. Other ships which may use cargo as fuel are LPG carriers and methanol tankers.

Oil tankers don't for several reasons. The most important one is legal. The SOLAS Convention mandates marine fuels have a flash point of 60C or higher. Because crude still has all of the lighter phases the flash point is above 60C. The Eagle eyed may have noted that methane, petroleum gases and methanol have flash points way below 60C and ask how they can be used as fuel. Good question. LNG tankers are designed and constructed in accordance with the IGC Code, other ships using such fuels the IGF Code. Both have onerous demands for fuel handling, engine room arrangements, machinery and operation. Which adds an awful lot to the cost. IMO is developing rules for low flash point oils now.

The second is economic. If a ship operates on HFO or VLSFO (as most tankers do) then the cargo is worth more than marine fuel. This one doesn't matter if a naughty crew has a magic pipe and isn't worried about safety.

On coal, there have been bulkers designed to use coal cargo but the costs didn't stack up, they were very maintenance intensive (I.e. they broke down a lot) and even ranking cycle steam turbine plants aren't very efficient. For LNG tankers you can't avoid cargo boil off, and re-liquefaction systems are expensive and use a lot of energy so the case for using it as fuel is much stronger.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

My only commute to London was...

We don't commute to London from here but we have used the Bangor-Euston service since the late 70s in which time the service has gone from pretty good to pretty awful which is the primary reason we went to the SVR 0 Gauge Get Together (by car) two weekends ago, rather than (by train) to the Milton Keynes Show (this, just gone, weekend).

Lil Sis ("no interest in things that run on parallel bits of metal," she keeps telling me) wotsapp'd me with this. A well known personality, with a long expanse of parallel bits of metal, interviewed live from the Show, yesterday, on BBC Three Counties Radio* @3:07:28 in, at the end of "Our House."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ggq4r3

Sis is devastated by the changes, with some of her favourite Presenters gone already.

Edited by southern42
For some reason some words got separated onto two lines. It's happened before but I've not worked out why, yet!
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t think my alter ego has ever been that flamboyant. “Extremely Expensive and Extremely Understated” is more his sort of thing. Something more along the lines of a discreet tie-pin made from the crystallised tears of a thousand baby orangutans* is more in character.

* He is, after all, a supervillain

And just HOW is CC intending to make a thousand baby Orangutans cry??

Bear would just like to point out that I - and I suspect several other fellow ER'ers - rather like baby O's......so think carefully....

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I'm probably the only real rugby fan amongst all the guests (although both offspring do like rugby)  and I will happily miss it (the final that is), some things are more important.....he said through gritted teeth. 😂

Does the presence of oodles of drink n' cake help soften the blow by any chance?

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Rick @Gwiwer mentioned his SWMBO not liking solo travel so much. I have to say I couldn’t be more opposite to that - I infinitely prefer being a solo traveller as one can travel at one’s own pace - never having to hurry to catch up or slow down to be caught up with.

And no bitchin' n' moanin' SWMBO to tolerate either.  Ask a Bear how he knows.....

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, polybear said:

And just HOW is CC intending to make a thousand baby Orangutans cry??

Bear would just like to point out that I - and I suspect several other fellow ER'ers - rather like baby O's......so think carefully....

Sadly all CC would have to do (not that he'd do it, he too has a soft spot for Orangutans) is point out that they're gonna loose their home in order for humans to plant palm-oil trees so that totally synthetic meat and dairy substitutes can be made with the harvested palm oil....

(and, tragically, the above ain't a joke....)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A HISTORIC EXPOSE!

THE TRUTH REVEALED!

AND IT ISN'T PRETTY!!!

Intrepid reporters from the ERI (The Early Risers Inquirer) went undercover to find out the truth about the infamous Polybear - Captain Cynical "conflict". The truth is: there is no conflict! PB and CC are working together to carve up the world between them.

At great personal risk, our fearless seekers after truth managed to take incriminating photos of the latest summit between PB and CC.

Captain Cynical arriving in one of his infamous "black helicopters"

_3c5105c5-41ce-449c-a2af-c9bbda8d36f2.jpg.74efcc2f22eab525c3dea0de3c235b1d.jpg

Whilst PB arrived after a leisurely drive through the beautiful Swiss town below the meeting venue:

_358d8927-a416-4cee-a81b-706369301dec.jpg.686c70041a5abc4b6a7138a6cf3961d4.jpg

Security was extremely tight:

_1fad81e6-52e1-4987-a4e3-d20939173a52.jpg.816761798c9511870390afddee28a1b6.jpg

PB and CC posed for photos before negotiations began:

_150b30c6-6005-4720-9246-815e5979ce91.jpg.c8a0d8dee1b5f2917c0200848f938a7b.jpg

After many hours of "open and frank discussions" new arrangements had been made for collaboration between PB plc and CCI GmbH and a triumphant Bear and Captain posed for celebratory photos.

_4688292f-4d2d-49fc-8be8-c0924f4a1b2c.jpg.f4a910e26229e04057003e3f7865fbe9.jpg

CC apologised for the frequent outfit changes - saying that his new PR person insisted on "trying out new looks" (The Early Risers Inquirer fears for the safety of that PR Person, who hasn't been seen or heard from since the PB-CC Summit)

Following the celebrations both PB and CC departed for "destinations unknown" and the ERI reporters lost their trail:

_d282086a-5200-4f08-b6cb-24e163ef9597.jpg.36b3ba84a4a49b32229c894bfca6d72f.jpg

_85bb2abd-68b5-4dc0-9f8a-30eaa7d57ed2.jpg.2c5012adadc2de8e337817c6244d2ea0.jpg

PB ought to take care with those cakes in case a certain cake loving Hippo is about.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

So PB has TWO Bentleys???

_358d8927-a416-4cee-a81b-706369301dec.jpg.686c70041a5abc4b6a7138a6cf3961d4.jpg.40463d33564b727fbd5839aa1823c78e.jpg

_d282086a-5200-4f08-b6cb-24e163ef9597.jpg.36b3ba84a4a49b32229c894bfca6d72f.jpg.af2571e1bfc601175808fb5b97b1331b.jpg

I think I'd have the second if he's done with it, can't be doin' with LHD.....

Also, the LHD one seems to have an "adapted" windscreen for his nose, and something seems to have happened to the wingmirrors...!

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was talking of the legitimate use of gases given off by the cargo. Gases that would otherwise be vented off.

And I was making the point that an engine designed for fuel oil will not (or would not then) run on gas without extreme risk.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit chilly today, the central heating has just come on for the first time during the day, it has been coming on during the evening for the last couple of weeks. There is a heap of stuff to go through the shredder to be turned into mulch. There's shopping to be done, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I thought a one tog duvet might be the same as a sheet - until I looked it up just now!

I thought similarly until Aditi bought one. We seem to have missed out the next Tog up and gone straight to the 10Tog duvet. It is very light though being stuffed with some  avian down.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The thing you wear around your neck to a funeral.

If you wear one to the workshop then you'll possibly be attending your own funeral next.

Bear once googled "lathe accidents".  If that doesn't teach you to respect lathes etc. you'd be better off with lego.

Definitely not for the squeamish, by the way....

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've just been watching the first of a new series of "Help, we bought a village". Very interesting like the last series including one from the last series but the others are new to the program. FYI Channel 4 at 5pm every weekday. Tonights dinner is toad in the hole followed by bread and butter pudding.

• Like 17