The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, hair dryer didn't do what I wanted but I've glued and clamped it so will have to wait and see.  Whilst doing that I discovered that it's coming adrift on the other edges as well and so is another drawer so I could be occupied with this task for a while.  Bodgelling might have to go on the back burner for today.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

No Tony and they better not be.  It is about 10 14 years old  (just checked) and was fitted by a very good friend and kitchen fitter.  Sadly he died a couple of years ago so we can't use him again.  Overall it's in pretty good nick apart from these edges coming adrift.  At the time these were the only units we could afford (from his particular supplier), if there is a next time we won't be having similar.  The carcasses are in excellent condition so I suppose we could consider drawer fronts and door replacements.....but not yet.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente where it is only in the mid 20's today. I better complain to someone.  I had a good afternoon ou watching trains with Andy yesterday and it was over 30.   This morning g it was more of the G word, clearing Ivy  and elderberry at the back of the shed.  17 metres of woodshedand mainshed wall done.  Just the hen hut to clear.  We can't put any weedkiller down as the land is the neighbours truffle orchard. 

Anyway this afternoon I've to take the car to have the tracking sorted then we are off to 40The Dangliesfor for an appointment.  Then the burger van and bar. Not a bad day in prospect. 

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Tomorrow is teaching. Then it’s the weekend, but it’ll be cooler. So may get tempted to get more done. Or not, as the case may be. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/12/covid-data-update-a-bit-general-autumn-booster-vaccination-uptake-low/

Not surprised with the 'obstacles' in place in booking - where when , already booked - must be at time x in place Y.  SWMBO also entitled but would they book at the same time  (bearing in mind 'the action' only takes a second or two) - No, hence parking in an unfamiliar place x 2 at a busy time of the day traffic wise.  Then when all complete - 0ne of those who doesn't appreciate doing all these things on mobiles - end up getting a lettwer telling us to book.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 
IMG_20231012_142809_Original.jpeg.5c95ed898d8eefc296915ea5c2de7026.jpeg

I spent the afternoon painting the tracks on inspection pits, as well as experimenting with a bit of nichrome wire and an old train transformer. The next step is to make a large hot wire cutter for sheet polystyrene.

Been following your progress - looking great.  Reading this reminded me of the time in recent weeks adding insulation in loft areas without crushing what's there already while making the space useful for storage.  This included making a new entrance that matched all the others ... I am no carpenter, SWMBO was not happy with the whole idea but is 'pleased' with the result.   Next thing 'What are these doing up here' - former baseboards brough up from the garage hopefully to find some way of (permanently) siting them for a future - unmentionable - project.  Dropping in here whenever time allows - thank.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Top edge now un-clamped and looks OK.  Now for the sides, can't clamp them, haven't got ones long enough so will have to rely on the weight of the drawer standing on edge to do the job.  The glue I'm using  (Titebond melamine) suggests clamping for a minimum 30 minutes but I'm allowing at least an hour.

Just noticed the time,  I'll soon be able to test some more of that cake.

Perhaps you should consider applying a more substantial weight to the drawer i.e yourself. Two queries will you be heavy enough and can you stay still for an hour?

• Funny 16

13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Maybe if the Rangers can beat the cheats?

For people who don't follow Major League Baseball, the Houston Astros were caught cheating a few years ago, where the catcher's signals to the pitcher were 'translated' to someone banging on a garbage bin in the clubhouse for the batter to anticipate the pitch. Fans remember.

Interesting news item across the wire today;

The Minnesota Twins had their backs against the wall in their ALDS matchup with the mighty Houston Astros. Unfortunately for Minnesota, it got no help from the umpiring crew.

The crew made 38 incorrect calls against Minnesota, which was by far the most made against a team in the divisional round, according to Pitch Profiler. The next closest team was the Texas Rangers, who had 27 calls against them.

Hard enough beating the "team" ,when you also have to play the umpires simultaneously, near impossible!

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Friendly/supportive 19

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Hmm, hair dryer didn't do what I wanted but I've glued and clamped it so will have to wait and see.  Whilst doing that I discovered that it's coming adrift on the other edges as well and so is another drawer so I could be occupied with this task for a while.  Bodgelling might have to go on the back burner for today.

Hmmm, NOT SURE how to break this to you GDB, but you are as in need of a hair dryer as I am 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

POETS... let's see.

Yesterday happy hour went without a hitch, and Jemma dropped off Whitney as she and Brendan are off to Austin for the Grand Prix.

Started raining during choir rehearsal, and we'd got 2.5 inches already by this morning newspaper collection. Supposed to be getting 36-48+ hours of rain "sometimes heavy" through tomorrow sometime.

Will be running errands this afternoon, need bird seed and also picking up a winter coat/gloves for the "Warm hands warm hearts" clothing drive at church for kids in need.

Weekend should be quiet - YA RIGHT!! We are off Saturday evening to a supper club with friends for some musical entertainment with dinner and drinks.

7c and rain first thing, 9c the expected high with 100% rain forecast for today and tomorrow, amounts will be in the "your mileage may vary..." category it seems.

Later...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The shopping was quite easy this morning, buying a smallish number of items in both Aldi and Lidl, including some biscuits for Christmas.  Then I went for a walk along the promenade, no photos as it was very grey again with a cool breeze.

Then it was home for coffee followed by sorting photos until lunchtime, I have just done another half hour of them.  

After lunch I went into the garden, I cleared a lot of annuals including some trailing nasturtiums which get everywhere and a large clump of chives which was in the wrong place - there is still another clump in the right place.  Then I planted some violas and pansies in the spaces I had made.  I also put some plastic lawn edgine behind more of the concrete path edging at the bottom part of the garden to stop soil falling onto the gravel paths.  By then I felt I'd done almost enough so I finished by taking some dead wood out of two climbing roses.

Although it wasn't very warm the back garden was out of the wind and the sun qwas out so it was pleasant.  I've about half filled the garden wheelie bin today.

That will be about it for today, I think I'll get tea in a few minutes and then sit down and read perhaps with a bit of TV.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Jemma dropped off Whitney as she and Brendan are off to Austin for the Grand Prix.

I immediately looked at the F1 channel to see what I had missed. Fortunately I hadn’t. I was reading about the other F1 race in Las Vegas and how anywhere with a free view of the race is being obscured. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.I'm looking for a plug in RCD quite simple you may think. So far I've tried some well known retailers and their websites either went so far and stopped or insisted I give them my whole life story, well not quite that but more than they need to make a simple sale and more information that I'm prepared to give. So it looks as if I will have to go down to another emporium and buy an RCD over the counter. Thats a rant by the way.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps you should consider applying a more substantial weight to the drawer i.e yourself. Two queries will you be heavy enough and can you stay still for an hour?

Yes and No.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Hmmm, NOT SURE how to break this to you GDB, but you are as in need of a hair dryer as I am 🤣🤣🤣

Please pay attention Ian.  In my post earlier (at 10.05) I did state ,with reference to the hair dryer, "This belongs to the Boss, I don't need one.  Permission has been granted to borrow it as I think my hot air gun might be a step too far."  🤪

Top and bottom edges of the second drawer now done and the first of the two sides will shortly be finished so one more side to go.  

A glass of Tribute has been sampled and food will be taken shortly so I'll finish off the job after dinner.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.I'm looking for a plug in RCD quite simple you may think. So far I've tried some well known retailers and their websites either went so far and stopped or insisted I give them my whole life story, well not quite that but more than they need to make a simple sale and more information that I'm prepared to give. So it looks as if I will have to go down to another emporium and buy an RCD over the counter. Thats a rant by the way.

How about click,and collect at Argos? 

• Like 13