The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There are many times where an ethnicity question could be relevant (health issues) but a tip booking survey? 

These are no doubt standard questions for all surveys. I'm sure it asks how you identify too. Responding to these questions is, I think, always optional.

But the questionnaire returns might show that persons of one ethnicity, religion, or identity are less likely to participate in the survey, having used the service, than persons of another ethnicity, religion, or identity, in which case the questionnaire designers would need to do a piece of work to identify barriers to participation for the non-respondent group, ultimately leading to a better-designed questionnaire.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PMP said:

The concept of a sprinkler system is not a good idea in a car park like this, which is why they’re not there. The problem arises from bursting/splitting fuel tanks. If you have a water system all that does is transport burning fuel to new locations very rapidly, the burning fuel sitting on top of the flowing water. This then starts ‘secondary’ fires in addition to the primary incident. A foam system would be better but massively more expensive, and not much use on electric vehicle fires I understand due to their ferocity, and short duration due to the requirement to have appropriate amounts of retardant media continuously flowing.

No easy and cost effective answer regrettably.

For that sort of scenario water high fog is probably the optimum solution. High fog is extremely effective at quenching heat and flame while avoiding the issues you identify with conventional sprinklers. However it's a lot more expensive than a normal sprinkler arrangement.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

At the time of the Liverpool fire, I understood that if a sprinkler system had been fitted, then rather than just suppressing the initial fire, the sprinklers would cool the environment, reducing the chances of neighbouring cars exploding with the heat, the chances of structural degradation of the building and triggering alarm systems more quickly, thus allowing appropriate emergency services to attend in a prompt manner.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

For that sort of scenario water high fog is probably the optimum solution. High fog is extremely effective at quenching heat and flame while avoiding the issues you identify with conventional sprinklers. However it's a lot more expensive than a normal sprinkler arrangement.

In an enclosed environment that has real benefit. Unfortunately in open sided car parks and similar structures there’s limited benefit as it literally gets blown away by the ambient winds. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The tyre pressure gauge made its annual complaint this evening. Leaving work in the dim and wet at 56°F / 13°C one of them was down to 28 psi / 193 kPa where they start to bark (or beep).

I do have a small electric pump for emergencies, but to really charge them up it's better to trek to the one gas/petrol station nearby with a coin-operated compressor - 4 quarters for a few minutes, which is usually just enough time if done efficiently.

The bane of low profile tyres is that the pressure does drop - aided and abetted by cooler weather which really makes a difference. They were where they should be (mid-30s psi when driving them on the highway on Saturday).

Yesterday morning I noticed the little tree out front decided to start dropping leaves so I raked them ahead of coming rain. Today was breezy and raining and now there are a lot more. I might dash out and rake them tonight even though it is fully dark. I won't have time tomorrow. They're heavy and wet right now but will blow around if they dry out.

In Chicago one year I made the mistake of not raking the detritus from a big tree in the back yard of the home we rented. When I finally decided it needed doing the leaves were frozen to the ground - and that is a beast to clean up. At least that's not a problem here.

Since I have Rigid power tools and therefore batteries I got one of these a couple of years back, works great and also has power available from a cigarette lighter cable if the battery you're carrying is flat.

image.png.6e921e073b8f84ee33099350f124abb0.png

Reads the current pressure, and can either be manually used or dial in the required psi and just let it do its thing.

Many of the other tool companies sell similar, I liked/prefer this mostly because it has the built in display gauge and auto-setting feature.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I am going to disagree with you. Not because you have written anything that is factually wrong but because I think you are looking at the problem in the wrong way.

You are quite right that water is a bad way to extinguish a liquid fuel fire like this and I hope we are all aware of the consequences of putting water on a chip pan fire and would never use it.

I have however worked all my working life in the petrochemicals industry  and have seen the consequences of fires in for example tank farms where many thousands of tons of such flammable materials are stored.  I can assure you that in almost every case very large amounts of water are consumed.  But this is not to extinguish the fire but to contain it - to prevent spread to adjacent tanks.

What we have in a carpark such as Luton is many hundreds of small storage tanks.  Each contains an amount of flammable hydrocarbon.  In the event of a fire - and before the fire brigade can attend, you need to contain the fire to ensure that personnel in the are can evacuate and avoid spread as far as possible.

Ah he says but water will spread any spilt fuel.  Indeed it might but really quite locally in the first instance.   In most cases even when a fire is well alight the majority of the fuel will still be in the tank up to the point where it explodes due to pressure build up in the tank (due to heat) that cannot vent quickly enough.  The tank splits the fuel escapes - mainly as gas in the first instance and ignites causing the explosion.  In a worst case scenario this is when the sprinkler kicks in but reality if there is enough heat to cause an explosion you would hope it would already be working before the first bang.

Burning fuel will likely have been sprayed around onto adjacent vehicles and in any scenario the burning vehicle will be radiating a large amount of heat putting adjacent vehicles at risk of their tanks heating and exploding - giving a chain reaction.  The burning fuel from the first explosion on the adjacent vehicles will cause any flammable components to burn - bumpers and panels in many vehicles.  However with a sprinkler system the fuel that is burning is  washed off before panels can catch alight - and yes it will spread the burning fuel but the amount of fuel will be really limited with much of it consumed in the explosion and immediate fire or even still in what remains of the tank - yes really.   Further, the water removes heat from adjacent vehicles so that their tanks do not reach a temperature where they are at risk of explosion themselves, which is the principle of using water in a refinery or chemical plant tank farm.   There is no chain reaction and the fire is localised and ready for the fire brigade to tackle.  

So the system does not put the fire out but it does contain spread by cooling those vehicles immediately at risk.

I don’t doubt or disagree with your professional experience. In all the training I have had on dealing with aircraft fuel related fires etc., is don’t use ‘water’ and try and deploy bunds if possible. In a fuel farm or airport apron that’s much easier than a multi storey car park with access ramps etc. There was a similar fire in the past few years in Scandinavia, with similar results. As I recall their investigation concluded that sprinklers may have helped, but wind speed and the lack

of compartments contributed to the spread of the fire. It apparently was burning for around 5 minutes before the first reaction which didn’t help, and no one used local extinguishers in an early preventative attempt. 
I’m lucky I guess in having some very limited fire training in dealing with fuel fires, most people haven’t and probably wouldn’t attempt an initial intervention, probably just film it for Tictok! I’d be hesitant to myself being totally honest, going safety first for myself and others as a priority.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There are many times where an ethnicity question could be relevant (health issues) but a tip booking survey? 

People running the surveys don't understand why they are asking questions, sometimes, unless it's one of these over zealous "inclusivity, diversity, ethnicity, anti-ageism, etc" requirements of the council. (there, that should wind @polybear up :) )

As part of my teaching is getting people to construct sensible surveys it's a subject that's sometimes a thorn in the side.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

People running the surveys don't understand why they are asking questions, sometimes, unless it's one of these over zealous "inclusivity, diversity, ethnicity, anti-ageism, etc" requirements of the council. (there, that should wind @polybear up :) )

Bear?  Get wound up?  Dead calm is my middle name......

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But the questionnaire returns might show that persons of one ethnicity, religion, or identity are less likely to participate in the survey, having used the service, than persons of another ethnicity, religion, or identity, in which case the questionnaire designers would need to do a piece of work to identify barriers to participation for the non-respondent group, ultimately leading to a better-designed questionnaire.

One interesting situation from surveys and questionnaires involves honesty. Some general elections ago when there were quite large deviations from poll predictions was how truthful were people when they answered pollsters. This didn’t surprise me. The college I worked used to survey all students and do various tests. However one of the tests was about “attitudes”. The students generally thought this was a waste of time and many of them once they knew it was anonymous chose the most negative answer. 
The vice principal was quite upset that it appeared we had a college full of unpleasant characters and what were we going to do. The general suggestion from the staff was to ignore the survey and don’t issue it again. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The vice principal was quite upset that it appeared we had a college full of unpleasant characters and what were we going to do. The general suggestion from the staff was to ignore the survey and don’t issue it again. 

We used to have a staff survey which we answered honestly which was pointless as the only come-back from management was to ask us to use our "circle time" to discuss what we could do to dispel our dissatisfaction with management. One year, I recall a colleague from another team relishing the fact that his team had achieved the lowest positivity ranking; his comment was "and I didn't even do the survey".  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Didn't get as much done as intended this afternoon except putting the washing on and checking the garden. The foxes are definitely back, they left a 'message' on what was the lawn. It was spitting with rain when I put the bin bags out, (with a little addition to discourage the foxes).

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another busy day here today. I’m glad I decided to stay indoors. It started to rain just after I’d posted this morning and it’s never stopped. It’s not been heavy rain, more like a drizzle, but it’s never stopped. Both mine and Sheila’s parcels arrived before dinner, so we are both happy bunnies. 

The top and the front and end edges of the long shelf have had 3 coats of varnish. I also made 7 litres of wall paper paste, some of which was decanted into another bucket and watered down and used as size. 

In the drawing below, the walls coloured RED have been sized. The walls coloured YELLOW will be done in the not to distant future. Tomorrow, I’ll give the bottom of the shelf a few coats of varnish and hopefully make a start papering the RED walls. The black marks show where both doors are, there is also a window to the right of the French (double doors) windows.
IMG_2725.jpeg.573827418fefb8b6178ec31b5a12d7c8.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It has just this minute started to rain heavily, the first heavy rain we have had for ages. Looks as if I got the bin bags out just in time.temperature is still up at 18C. however but thats due to change by the weekend. 

• Like 16