The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I fear this may be a rant, something I'm not given to too often (Mrs JJB looks after the ranting). As I'm sure is normal for many others, Teams and Zoom is now a normal part of work, and working in an international industry like shipping it is if anything used even more as it allows connectivity across the globe, which is good. However Europe is making me more and more cross.

There's a bit of an unwritten convention for people in Asia and the US to take turns with the inconvenience and an awareness of time difference. Say what you will about the US but I find that maybe because people in the US know how infuriating it is they consider time zones when requesting meetings. However, many people in Europe (no offence to anyone) expect that all meetings will be in European normal office hours. That's not in itself a problem if it is only a call with Asia or the US as you can manage the time for both people. And people in Asia and the US are grown up enough to appreciate that if you need Asia, Europe and the US on a call then there's not much you can do about time zones.

However, more and more I notice people in Brussels especially scheduling calls for the end of their day which means late night for people in East Asia and getting stroppy if requested to change because it inconveniences their schedule. At the risk of sounding cynical they know that people in Japan will get up at any time if necessary, with Korean's not being far off and Chinese expected to work as required so they get away with it. I've had five requests for meetings this week to myself and people in Japan or China to join calls at the end of the business day in Brussels, Paris or London, including Friday. Being English (and also in Singapore, they're very different to Japan and have no problem saying no) I'm the one who has pushed back and suggested they find a slot at a reasonable time and have been met with a few harrumphs at the inconvenience it causes them to avoid someone in Tokyo having to join a call at 11PM on a Friday night. The really bonkers thing is four of five are primarily for their benefit and they are seeking support from Asia. I'll offer some free advice, if you're trying to keep people sweet to get a favour don't annoy them by refusing to show any consideration to time scheduling.

Rant off. Sorry.

I have noticed that more and more people are taking a 'devil may care' attitude to whether other people are inconvenienced by there actions. Whether this is in there professional life or not. And that when they are told this they resort to hysterics about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Is the far one “no photography “? I did look up Spanish prohibition signs and the only one vaguely that shape was “ no skateboarding “.

It’s a boot print and means ‘don’t walk here’.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

No No No you put the football pitch on the flood plain so that when it floods, usually in the winter, they can't play football on it. Simplz really or least that's what the housing developer thought.

SImple solution is to replace grass with gravel. Queenstown in Tasmania gets 94 inches of rain a year  (Google says Manchester gets 32 as a comparison) but the footy oval is always playable because its made of gravel thus never turns to mud.

Visiting teams hate it but.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And then to our favourite sunset-watching spot. Nature provided a superb show as Charles de Gaulle lay on his back in the ocean. Once you see it you can’t un-see it!  

Never noticed that before - now I'll not be able to unsee it.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Simple solution is to replace grass with gravel. Queenstown in Tasmania gets 94 inches of rain a year  (Google says Manchester gets 32 as a comparison) but the footy oval is always playable because its made of gravel thus never turns to mud.

No, no, no, no, no! In my time, I’ve played on crushed ash, blaes and gravel and have the scars and embedded pieces to prove it. And you’re obviously using a different meaning of “playable” from the one I know.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

A quick weather update...

I thought it was rather quiet outside this evening, so when I went to close the curtains I had a peek through the blinds to discover a fairly thick mist had descended.  We could do with more evenings like this!

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1